eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Apologies if posted before...

:clap: :clap:

The Argus (Tues, Dec13, 2005)

Fury over Lib Dems' stadium secrecy

by Rowan Dore

A Lewes District Council cabinet member has resigned over the behind-closed-doors decision to challenge the go-ahead for a Falmer stadium.

Conservative Sharon Davy cited a lack of democracy and freedom of information as her reasons for quitting the nine-councillor Lib Dem-led cabinet yesterday.

She said she could not serve on a public body which made its decisions
in private and then gagged members from discussing the issue with electors.

Coun Davy was out of the country when the cabinet resolved to launch
High Court proceedings against John Prescott's permission for a 22,000-seat
Falmer stadium.

The council said it took the decision in cabinet because it constituted an
emergency and banned the Press and public because it involved sensitive
legal advice.

But Coun Davy echoed thousands of Brighton and Hove Albion fans by
insisting the matter should have been resolved in public by the full council.

She said in a resignation letter: "The decision of producing a report that
is an exempt item printed on pink paper forbids any elected councillor to speak on behalf of the community they represent.

"Everything is confidential and decided behind closed doors. For me this simply isn't democracy.

"Surely it would have been appropriate to vote on a show of hands at a full
council meeting with the public and Press present. The decision of producing this report on whether or not to spend more money on fighting John
Prescott's decision as an exempt item is purely at the discretion of the Liberal Democrat administration and its advisers.

"However popular or unpopular a topic is, I believe passionately that local
councillors should be able to represent the electorate in a transparent and
open fashion."

Coun Davy refused to say whether or not she supported the council's action
against Falmer, adding: "I daren't say anything otherwise I could be suspended as a councillor.

My loyalties lie with the people in my ward, Chailey."

Falmer For All chairman Paul Samrah said: "We welcome Coun Davy's
principled stand. We have said all along this should have been debated in open
council and the council's insistence that its legal advice is privileged is merely a
smoke screen."

The cabinet is made up of six Lib Dem members - headed by council leader Ann de Vecchi, who has maintained a public silence since the cabinet decision - and three Tories.

Conservative group leader Shirley James said: "If she is not happy
doing a cabinet job the best bet is for her to leave."

When asked if she agreed with Coun Davy's stance she added: "No. I have
nothing else to say."

Last edited:

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Hear Hear! :clap:

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
See, the TORIES really are the way forward:clap2:

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I know there is this Labour / Tory thing on NSC but are we agreed that the Lib Dems really are a bunch of !!!!!.

Bellotti and Baker to name 2

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I know that it is not in our best interests but this may be the first ioccassion that the Lib Dems have actually decided to do something themselves without standing on the fence trying to please everybody.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Beginning of the end for Lewes. Excellent news.

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
BensGrandad said:
I know that it is not in our best interests but this may be the first ioccassion that the Lib Dems have actually decided to do something themselves without standing on the fence trying to please everybody.

You obviously don't have the misfortune to know them as well as some of us. Only it isn't too many years ago they decided - in another closed door confab - they knew best how to run Lewes Bonfire. For some reason the Bonfire Societies were supposed to be grateful they hadn't been consulted.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
This is not good news for the 'cabinet'. I am still not convinced that they won't pull out at the last minute ....oooer missus

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
roz said:
You obviously don't have the misfortune to know them as well as some of us. Only it isn't too many years ago they decided - in another closed door confab - they knew best how to run Lewes Bonfire. For some reason the Bonfire Societies were supposed to be grateful they hadn't been consulted.

It must be something to do with the Lib Dems of the Lewes Area because most of them throughout the country couldnt decide what day of the week it was if asked they just go along with the popular thoughts. Obviously not in the case of FALMER they did the opposite.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
BensGrandad said:

What a great project for them to decide to go into 'free thinking' mode for:angry: Bunch of fence sitting bellends...

Last edited:

BensGrandad said:
Deciding to do something themselves?

No way.

Deciding to do what they were told by Ann de Vecchi, more like. And being stupid enough to believe the threats.

"I daren't say anything otherwise I could be suspended as a councillor" - Councillor Sharon Davy.

WHO SAYS SHE COULD BE SUSPENDED?

:angry:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Lord Bracknell said:
Deciding to do something themselves?

No way.

Deciding to do what they were told by Ann de Vecchi, more like. And being stupid enough to believe the threats.

"I daren't say anything otherwise I could be suspended as a councillor" - Councillor Sharon Davy.

WHO SAYS SHE COULD BE SUSPENDED?

:angry:

Is Ann De Vecchi not a Lib Dem?

So she decided for herself and others which is still a change from their normal stance of being undecided.

vauxhallexile

Jul 31, 2003
BensGrandad said:
It must be something to do with the Lib Dems of the Lewes Area because most of them throughout the country couldnt decide what day of the week it was if asked they just go along with the popular thoughts. Obviously not in the case of FALMER they did the opposite.

(yawn) yet again, worth saying that Lib Dems in Brighton voted for the stadium, and several MPs supported it in a EDM a year or so ago.

Still, if you make a decision you get slagged off, if you don't you get slagged off. That's life I guess!

33057 Seagull

May 22, 2004
Over the border in Southwick
Both Un Liberal & Un Democratic. Most Lib Dems outside Lewes are behind the stadium, voted for it & signed the EDM. When Bellotti put himself up for the EEC elections Lib Dems made damn sure he was at the bottom of the list.

As Conservative group leader Shirley James said: "If she (Coun Davy) is not happy doing a cabinet job the best bet is for her to leave." Seems the Tory's are of the same view as Lib Dem colleagues as when asked if she agreed with Coun Davy's stance she added: "No. I have nothing else to say."

It seems this has now't to do with party politics per se but Lewes councillors taken & draconian stance. Remains to be seen whether the opposition will make any gains in Lewes at the Council Elections in May. Obviously the Greens dol take the same anti Falmer stance so leaves Labour & the Independents.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Lord Bracknell said:
Deciding to do what they were told by Ann de Vecchi, more like.
Oh, so she DOES actually command the power of speech then ? Only I was beginning to wonder.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
I think it is a "Lewes" thing. Way back in the 50's I worked at County Hall. It was then run by the Tories. They thought they knew best . Hated Brighton with a passion then and as as for football. Ugh. They call themselves LibDem today. Nothing changes.
Was in Harveys Shop at Lewes today. The Lewes brigade were out in force buying their 4 bottles of Christmas Ale. "Not for me you understand but as a present".
I held back in the queue with my 48 Christmas Ales; 24 Elizabethan Ales etc etc.

It must be the air.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here