Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lewes Bonfire effigy tonight a Seagull!!!

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom
Don't know what society it was in but i saw the giant seagull being prepared down on the cliffe industrial estate yesterday.
There was a sign post with it pointing to Lewes one way and South down national park (or similar) the other.

I personally thought it was a "well done BHA, up yours LDC" statement.

That's where i work, that's how i know. And like many people who work here they assumed it was anti Falmer. I don't particularly like all this bonfire society stuff for other reasons but i'll stick up for them here and say nice one wierdos.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
I went to the Cliffe Bonfire, and they completely DESTROYED the Seagull.
The pop they slowly burned, but the seagull, the burned, blew up, launched fireworks out its arse. For the grand finally the blew the whole thing up, and part of the wing came apart, launched into the crowd, and hit a woman striaght in the head.
She was out cold, with blood pouring from her forehead, wasnt a pretty sight.

The seagull looked like it was carrying an olive branch. Many people didnt even know why they were burning a seagull, so it must have been quite a mixed reaction.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
The pop they slowly burned, but the seagull, the burned, blew up, launched fireworks out its arse. For the grand finally the blew the whole thing up, and part of the wing came apart, launched into the crowd, and hit a woman striaght in the head.

The seagull looked like it was carrying an olive branch. Many people didnt even know why they were burning a seagull, so it must have been quite a mixed reaction.

Revenge of the Seagull! Hope the woman was ok.

Debut aerial show from Southover was terrific down at the old hockey field. I gather they spent 10k to demonstrate they could put on a show.
PG

tedebear

Legal Alien
NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
How bizarre - I can't understand how burning anything to smithereens no matter what is written on the side can be anything other than showing disagreement with our cause - what the dickens is their point then?

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
How bizarre - I can't understand how burning anything to smithereens no matter what is written on the side can be anything other than showing disagreement with our cause - what the dickens is their point then?

When else could something that big stop outside Norman Baker's East Street Offices for over five minutes in effect saying "up yours". It didnt seem much of a coincidence that Cliffe's parade to their firesite got delayed at that exact point.

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom

hence my dislike of bonfire societies. down right bloody dangerous bastards.

Tesco in Disguise

Where do we go from here?
Jul 5, 2003
Wienerville
does that mean we are celebrating the execution of guy fawkes, or the man himself?

personally, i think he's a bit of a legend.

Tesco in Disguise

Where do we go from here?
Jul 5, 2003
Wienerville

tell the kkk that. they were 'lighting' crosses, not burning them.

Mrs Coach

aka Jesus H. Woman
What a joke! Obviously the person in charge of the choice of effigy was anti-falmer, but misjudged the feeling of the his own members and the majority of Lewes residents! It ended up saying NOTHING! Horrible end to it if someone was injured by the burning of it too. That's why I'm not a fan of bonfire societies either. It's all a bit 'cult' like if you ask me!

tedebear

Legal Alien
NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
When else could something that big stop outside Norman Baker's East Street Offices for over five minutes in effect saying "up yours". It didnt seem much of a coincidence that Cliffe's parade to their firesite got delayed at that exact point.

So it was pro falmer?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
So it was pro falmer?

i get the impression that the Argus ran a story claiming it to be anti falmer then saw the final version and realised it wasnt particulaly. so they've back tracked saying that strong feeling in Cliffe society led to it being altered. right, because those in charge or the effigy at Cliffe wouldnt have know that from the start? I cant really see any of the bonfire societies being anti falmer/BHA and least of all Cliffe which has always been strongly pro BHA in the past.

It would be good to hear comment from a Cliffe member on the subject, sadly the Argus didnt seem interested in seeking their input.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
It would be good to hear comment from a Cliffe member on the subject, sadly the Argus didnt seem interested in seeking their input.

Roz is, I think, a member of Cliffe. At least she's written about Cliffe on here a few times and is an official photographer to one of the bonfire societies. I'm assuming it is Cliffe and putting 3 and 8 together...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here