Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lewes Bonfire effigy tonight a Seagull!!!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I love Easy 10's turn of phrase....cackbadgers indeed

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
they're going to burn a little papier mache albion fan aswell as a seagull, i think there should be big albion presence there with waterpistols and water balloons to stop this insult!

surely if they do that , its as bad as burning a caravan full of images of pikeys isnt it?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Surely the amount of stick and potential soaking these dicks are gonna get is gonna be worth them doing so we can see it.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
thats rather funny

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Let them burn what they want. We got our stadium. No amount of dressing up as pirates and playing xylophones is gonna change that. :ascarf:

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
still it makes a bit of a change ............in my younger days when I went over there they always burnt an effigy of the pope all just a little childish.

SpidersLegs

Feb 2, 2007
Here & there
I think it is actually in support of us. I saw it today at the cliffe industrial estate. It has got a road sign on the tail pointing to Lewes in one direction and the south downs national park in the other. Presumably the seagull represents the new stadium in the middle.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Agreed, if you look at the photo it says something 1, LDC 0. At a guess, I'd say it reads BHA 1 LDC 0.

Even if it was anti, who cares? I think it's quite funny. You don't get the Pope down Cliffe High Street spraying his effigies with water pistols, so why should we be bothered?

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
But in the same way as they aren't burning the current pope, this is obviously not a current seagull. It is merely a representation of a figure in history.

If you look carefully, it is the slim version so therefore the one before the current plump one we have.

It is actually a protest at Archer and Bellotti. they took their time but the people of Lewes have finally caught up. However dont fly too low over the town in case they fall over pointing at you

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Wasn't the story of a Seagull effigy a wind-up though?

Check back the thread Bozza. Especially where I typed

Aha

Check out post 39 by magoo on this thread....

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Don't know what society it was in but i saw the giant seagull being prepared down on the cliffe industrial estate yesterday.
There was a sign post with it pointing to Lewes one way and South down national park (or similar) the other.

I personally thought it was a "well done BHA, up yours LDC" statement.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Did it burn well?

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Don't know what society it was in but i saw the giant seagull being prepared down on the cliffe industrial estate yesterday.
There was a sign post with it pointing to Lewes one way and South down national park (or similar) the other.

I personally thought it was a "well done BHA, up yours LDC" statement.

Generally though that is the idea in that it is satire and can be taken either way. Take spitting image for example, those who like Thatcher would support he being dressed as a man and smoking cigars. Those that didn't would see it as supporting their views. The seagull would polarise opinions and those that supported the stadium are likely to read it the way you have and those that dont would read it the other way.

It is a fine line at humour and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I think those who would have seen it face to face rather than read about it here would have a better idea if it 'worked'

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here