Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Levi Colwill *Signed on Season-Long Loan 05/08/2022*

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
So it seems like Tony might get his Burn replacement whilst pissing off Citeh in the process and bagging £30m+!

Win, win, win!

This left footed attacking centre back looks like the exact player to thrive under Potter.

Popeye

I Don't Exercise
Nov 12, 2021
North Carolina USA
While I hate the thought of Cucurella leaving. Colwill seems like a very good prospect for both the short and long term and we make some good money to reinvest in January if we need some additions. I see no real negatives if that is the deal that gets done.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Levi becoming part of the Falmer stable, who would have foreseen that?

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
It's quite possible that it's the terms of the buy back which we objected to rather than the principle itself. (It's also possible that Livramento just chose Saints over us).

I can't stand the idea of us doing it and I think it the concept should be banned, but I could see some short term advantage in a specific situation if we just had a to fill a position for a year or two years with a decent option while we waited, for example, for an academy player to come out

My biggest concern is medium to long term. If we went for this Colwill and play him ahead of players like Offiah and Turns etc, what does it say to them that we're developing Chelsea players at the expense of our own. Why would the next youngster choose Brighton?

I'm not that concerned to be honest. We've shown that these players either have a pathway to the first team with us, or we'll facilitate it elsewhere. We could have kept Cochrane, Gyokeres, Ostigard etc but instead we allowed them to leave for modest fees and pursue what will no doubt be decent careers.

I think the appeal is not just "sign for us and we'll make you a first team player for us", it's "sign for us and we'll help you build a career in football". It's similar to the Chelsea model. Do young footballers sign for Chelsea to get into the first team? No, I'd suggest not, but they could looks at the likes of Guehi, Lamptey, Livramento, Tomori etc and think that it's not a bad back up to be set up for a good career on the grounding of a very strong academy upbringing.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I find this whole buy back concept a little odd. It’s a one way bet that isn’t in the interests of the initial buying club. We lose if his value declines and also lose if his value rises. Is there any evidence this deal structure actually exists outside the deluded minds of top 6 keyboard warrior fans ? I remember Chelsea fans claiming similar about the Lamptey deal. I don’t see them buying him back at the moment….

schmunk

Centrist Dad
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
I find this whole buy back concept a little odd. It’s a one way bet that isn’t in the interests of the initial buying club. We lose if his value declines and also lose if his value rises. Is there any evidence this deal structure actually exists outside the deluded minds of top 6 keyboard warrior fans ? I remember Chelsea fans claiming similar about the Lamptey deal. I don’t see them buying him back at the moment….

Chelsea apparently have buyback / first refusal clauses in the sales of several of their former players: Tammy Abraham; Tino Livramento; Marc Guehi; etc.

e.g. Abraham clause confirmed by Roma: https://talksport.com/football/1032825/tammy-abraham-chelsea-transfer-buy-back-clause-roma/

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
A buy back is no problem if it is set at, say, £100 million.

The devil is in the detail.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
What does it mean though ? That’s the bit that’s guesswork. I know what Chelsea fans want it to mean.

It basically means there’s a set fee which Chelsea can pay to take him back at any time. It would naturally be a fair bit higher than the fee we signed him for. I said last season when we missed out on Tino Livramento that I hope we stay well clear of them as the buying club. They’re an absolutely awful deal with her completely handicaps you going forward - and someone on here adamantly disagreed with me!

Imagine if Colwill became the best defender in the Prem and Chelsea could take him back on the last day of a transfer window for £50m because of something we signed years ago. Absolutely ludicrous.

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
What does it mean though ? That’s the bit that’s guesswork. I know what Chelsea fans want it to mean.

In terms of the Livramento deal it’s reported by The Athletic that there was a 5m fee Southampton have to pay. The buy back is set at 50m, active from 2023, but that isn’t a 45m profit as Chelsea also have a % added on for any sale. That drops the fee down to £38m, so potentially a return of 33m for developing him.

axscott

Jan 10, 2022
[tweet]1554900624638091265[/tweet]

Chelsea source so don't take it as gospel, but seems fairly likely there will be a buyback

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here