Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Levi Colwill *Signed on Season-Long Loan 05/08/2022*

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
A slight conundrum. Obviously a very talented kid. If we play him and he enjoys his time here there's no reason he wouldn't join us in the summer, and that must've been the point in loaning him in. But do we play a loanee at the expense of 'one of our own'? And is he even good enough atm.

Sent from my S61 using Tapatalk

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
A slight conundrum. Obviously a very talented kid. If we play him and he enjoys his time here there's no reason he wouldn't join us in the summer, and that must've been the point in loaning him in. But do we play a loanee at the expense of 'one of our own'? And is he even good enough atm.

Sent from my S61 using Tapatalk

He wouldn't have been brought in if there wasn't a chance of buying him after the loan deal.

If Colwill is seen as better, and he most likely currently is, than the defenders in the academy team, he'll play if there's injures etc. to first team defenders. Very few clubs in the PL, if any, can afford not to use the best players available.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
He wouldn't have been brought in if there wasn't a chance of buying him after the loan deal.

If Colwill is seen as better, and he most likely currently is, than the defenders in the academy team, he'll play if there's injures etc. to first team defenders. Very few clubs in the PL, if any, can afford not to use the best players available.

A chance for us. Just as much of a chance for everyone else. That's if he is for sale, which I doubt as that loan was sanctioned under Tuchel, who couldn't have had less interest in developing young players. My guess is that the present manager will take a different view.

I'm very much in the, "let's develop Brighton players rather than Chelsea players" camp

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
A chance for us. Just as much of a chance for everyone else. That's if he is for sale, which I doubt as that loan was sanctioned under Tuchel, who couldn't have had less interest in developing young players. My guess is that the present manager will take a different view.

I'm very much in the, "let's develop Brighton players rather than Chelsea players" camp

Could you send me your personal copy of the loan agreement between Brighton and Chelsea?

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
We are not particularly invested in this kid's development, he'll go back to Chelsea and either be sold to the highest bidder or play for our former coaching staff. I still think this signing was a big mistake, not a criticism of the player who talks very well and appears to be a very good young player. But it's foolish business by us.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Interesting to see where this goes. Webster has been linked with Chelsea before, and Potter going there may mean that now is his time. Could we look at a Colwill plus cash for Webster? I know we prefer to keep our deals separate but it could be something that works for all parties if both parties are looking to do a deal

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Could you send me your personal copy of the loan agreement between Brighton and Chelsea?

It won't include a right to buy as this would have been reported. I think it was reported this didn't exist.

It won't include a clause which says "we'll sell you Colwill if you want him, because we're such lovely lovely friends" Because these clauses don't exist in football, for the obvious reasons, they don't take account of the players wishes, another club might offer Chelsea or the player more and finally the biggest reason ... they just don't exist in football.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
It won't include a right to buy as this would have been reported. I think it was reported this didn't exist.

It won't include a clause which says "we'll sell you Colwill if you want him, because we're such lovely lovely friends" Because these clauses don't exist in football, for the obvious reasons, they don't take account of the players wishes, another club might offer Chelsea or the player more and finally the biggest reason ... they just don't exist in football.

Trossards and Ali Macs option years were not reported until this summer either. Didn't mean they didn't exist.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach

I'm sure loan to buy was not in the contract otherwise we'd have said.

He was brought in because Chelsea took Cucu towards the end of the transfer window and we'd not got a ready replacement lined up for him as we'd expected to get another season out of him. Pervis came in later.

He was brought in because we were short on the left. I'm in the camp of playing him this season if he's the best available, even if he goes back at the end of it.

Gives us time to get Pervis, Mitoma and whoever else up to speed over the rest of the season.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I'm sure loan to buy was not in the contract otherwise we'd have said.

He was brought in because Chelsea took Cucu towards the end of the transfer window and we'd not got a ready replacement lined up for him as we'd expected to get another season out of him. Pervis came in later.

He was brought in because we were short on the left. I'm in the camp of playing him this season if he's the best available, even if he goes back at the end of it.

Gives us time to get Pervis, Mitoma and whoever else up to speed over the rest of the season.

Well hang on, Pervis is 23, Mitoma 25. They both have loads more experience than Colwill

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Be a brilliant deal.

Not sure what RDZ is going to think of Websters " moments and mis placed passes " every game.

Don't get me wrong he is a good player for us but that deal would be up there

I've seen a lot of Webby and seen a lot more good than bad.

I've not seen more than a few minutes of Colwill and understand he did ok on loan in the Championship, and maybe in years to come may get to a higher level. But maybe not. Lots of players come out of the Chelsea academy or play for the England u21s and go onto to achieve nothing.

To me if Chelsea did make that hypothetical offer and I had my Tony Bloom hat on, i'm telling Chelsea to **** themselves

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Well hang on, Pervis is 23, Mitoma 25. They both have loads more experience than Colwill

True. Not as experienced in the PL or UK though and whilst both have shown potential, they've also shown frailties. Not seen Collwill play so no opinion either way, was just offering up a possible scenario. Who knows? I'll trust RDZ to do the best to win a game

Last edited:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Be a brilliant deal.

Not sure what RDZ is going to think of Websters " moments and mis placed passes " every game.

If you could mention one example where a Brighton player did not misplace a pass during a game, feel free to bring it up :shrug:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
True. Not as expected in the PL or UK though and whilst both have shown potential, they've also shown frailties. Not seen Collwill play so no opinion either way, was just offering up a possible scenario. Who knows? I'll trust RDZ to do the best to win a game

Don't think he'll play much left back as it really isn't his position.

Most likely will get most of his minutes as the LCB in a three-man central defense.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Be a brilliant deal.

There are several reasons Potter rated, and consistently picked, Webster. One of them is that he was willing to carry out Potter's plan to take risks, and we were set-up to play ambitious, risky football. It got us our highest ever position, and we now currently sit in fourth place. Webster has made a significant contribution to that.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
There are several reasons Potter rated, and consistently picked, Webster. One of them is that he was willing to carry out Potter's plan to take risks, and we were set-up to play ambitious, risky football. It got us our highest ever position, and we now currently sit in fourth place. Webster has made a significant contribution to that.

This is true, we miss Webster badly when he’s injured and yes it does take a while for him to get back up to speed. Be careful what you wish for in getting rid of him.

I have accepted that anyone who looks top class will be poached eventually :down:

On the plus side, what a time to be an Albion fan, we are never going to compete with Arab states and US billionaires, but I certainly don’t want them owning the Albion.

If I expected/wanted to be winning most games and cups I’d have started supporting somebody else when Archer and Stanley asset stripped the club. I just love this club even when it was shite.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here