Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Letter to Grauniad re: Wonga

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
Whatever the rights and wrongs, I just object to some no-mark I've never heard of speaking on behalf of ALL the fans of my club.

She doesn't claim to, to be fair.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
And you're missing the point; it's about being concerned for others and ensuring that vulnerable people are afforded some degree of protection from increasing their financial difficulties .

No I'm not missing the point at all. People need to take responsibility for their actions and stop trying to find someone to blame when they get themselves in shit.

Should we remove the right to vote from the vulnerable as well?

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
No I'm not missing the point at all. People need to take responsibility for their actions and stop trying to find someone to blame when they get themselves in shit.

Should we remove the right to vote from the vulnerable as well?

They're not trying to find someone to blame but it's clear that you are pointing the finger of blame at them. This is about preventing businesses taking advantage of them.

Why should we remove their right to vote? The leaps in your "logic" path are getting more and more extreme.

Still, at least you're painting a pretty graphic portrait of the extent of your compassion for your fellow, less fortunate man.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
They're not trying to find someone to blame but it's clear that you are pointing the finger of blame at them. This is about preventing businesses taking advantage of them.

Who is taking advantage of them? No one is holding a gun to their head saying take out a loan and pay us a load back in interest.

Why should we remove their right to vote? The leaps in your "logic" path are getting more and more extreme.

Well you are making out they aren't capable of thinking on their own and the nasty loan companies are forcing them with their advertising to get themselves further in the shit. If they aren't capable of thinking on their own then they are a dangerous voter surely!?! Are these the people voting for the BNP??

Still, at least you're painting a pretty graphic portrait of the extent of your compassion for your fellow, less fortunate man.

In this instance no I haven't! I've been in debt and I'm man enough to admit I was in debt because I spent more money than I had. Judging by the amount of money we're making via these pay day loan companies I'd say they were very popular so therefore providing a valid service.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Looks like Newcastle fans' strength of feeling about this will soon be tested...

Newcastle United's proposed sponsorship deal with Wonga.com angers local MP and supporters - Telegraph

How would you feel if Wonga was announced as our (likely) new sponsor? ???

“If Wonga get this sponsorship through I will not set foot in St James’ Park until it is off the shirts." - well that will be because it isn't called St James' Park anymore, it's the Sports Direct Arena..!!! Of all the clubs, this one has proven that they don't give a f**k what the fans think... if it suits them commercially then it will happen.

As for it happening to us... doubt it. I'm sure Wonga have done their research and know where the concentrations of customers and potential customers are around the UK and B&H is too affluent an area for us to be a priority partner for them.... Waitrose maybe!

ack

Apr 20, 2006
From a parent of a so called adult these companies are the dregs of life feeding on the vulnerable. There are no checks to talk of about whether ye can pay back the amounts, or whether the individual has taken loans at other places. To someone in debt its easy money to sign another form. Untill these places do proper credit checks, they should be banned. And b4 anyone wants to jump on me, I have had to get police involved to recover stuff from Cash Converters etc

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
Because the percentage rates are disgusting ( loan shark levels even ) and they are an invite to trap people already in debt into even greater debt. There should be legislation preventing interest rates being any greater than 50% APR.
I agree it is disgusting, but you can't just ban a transaction because you personally are offended by the terms.

No doubt some people get caught up (that is the intention), and it's not exactly ethical, but the solution isn't to ban it. If you cut the APR on the loans by a 10x, then to rebalance risk/reward, the company will only lend someone £50 rather than £500. Not everyone is vulnerable, some people simply need money in an emergency, and you're removing their option to do so by second-guessing their ability to make an informed decision.

The solution should be to ensure people know what they're getting into. If a debt was sold without proof of understanding, then it should be voided. If a company repeats the offence, they get a fine from the regulator.

Last edited:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
“If Wonga get this sponsorship through I will not set foot in St James’ Park until it is off the shirts." - well that will be because it isn't called St James' Park anymore, it's the Sports Direct Arena..!!! Of all the clubs, this one has proven that they don't give a f**k what the fans think... if it suits them commercially then it will happen.

The name is back to SJP as part of the deal (BBC Sport - Newcastle stadium reverts to St James Park in sponsorship deal).

Not too fussed if they were our sponsor. As long as they are putting money into the club, then fair play to them. I don't see the problem to be honest. It's up to people to decide for themselves to use services such as Wonga.com; no-one is forcing them...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here