Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
you doing this one line at a time OTLW?

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
I've cited his form on recent matches he has reffed and his comments regarding Brighton fans as being racist and yobs

qupted the Rate the Ref site among other things ... also the precedent was set when the FL removed him last time

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
On the Left Wing said:
I've cited his form on recent matches he has reffed and his comments regarding Brighton fans as being racist and yobs

qupted the Rate the Ref site among other things ... also the precedent was set when the FL removed him last time
Verbatim, please OTLW :wave:

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
copy ypur letter here OTLW, pls

then give us the email addy

thanks

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Is this a late april Fool?

perseus has a different ref on his 'official thread'

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
Preston North End v. Brighton

Referee: Phil Prosser (W Yorkshire)

Assistant Referees: Jonathon Moss (W Yorkshire) and Gary Stott (Gtr Manchester)

From the official appts list.

LANGDON SEAGULL

Dec 9, 2004
Langdon Hills
Starry said:
What did he do that made him public enemy number one with you guys?

2-0 up against Sheff Utd, started to award penalties all over the shop which were not even near a foul, and lost 2-4, then I beleive accused us of racism.

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
sorry just had tea ...

the letter:

1 April 2005

Ms Patricia Brown
Secretary
The Football League
11 Connaught Place
LONDON
W2 2ET

Dear Ms Brown

Re: Preston v Brighton, Championship match, Deepdale, Tuesday 5 April 2005

I wish to complain in the strongest possible terms about the decision to award Phil (P J) Prosser the position of referee for the above noted game.

I know the Football League has on file a number of “less than satisfactory” reports on Mr Prosser’s performances in previous matches he has officiated for Brighton and Hove Albion. Both Brighton and opposition managers have levelled complaints on various occasions about his inconsistency as a match official.

In one particular game between Brighton and Sheffield United two seasons ago, Mr Prosser awarded two highly questionable penalties which changed the course of the game and ultimately resulted in Brighton losing 3 points. Immediately after the match Hove MP Ivor Caplin said the FA should investigate Mr Prosser's performance and suspend him. On this occasion Mr Prosser acted quite bizarrely and accused Brighton fans as being racist yobs and racially abusing him – a claim that was found to be totally spurious and potentially actionable.

One journalist described Mr Prosser: “In hindsight it was a mistake to invite Saturday's referee Phil Prosser on to my phone-in after the game. Mr Prosser is one of those officials who wants to be as important as the 22 players on the field. He actually wallowed in the Press attention.”

In another game four seasons ago between Brighton and Rochdale Mr Prosser sent off two players and booked seven more despite the absence of a dirty challenge in a game which both managers described as mild.

In the Rate the Ref website (www.ratetheref.co.uk) you will also notice the animosity that exists between Brighton & Hove Albion and Mr Prosser and the fact that he is one of the lowest rated referees on the national list

It might be added that football club managers including Philip Jewell, Keith Curle and Mick McCarthy have also been scathing over Mr Prosser’s inconsistency during the past three seasons. This season alone Mr Prosser has been rated “Below average” in SIX of the 15 matches he has officiated (last season 12 of his 22 matches were rated “Below average”) and has alarmingly awarded 58 yellow cards, 4 sendings off and 7 penalties.

But most alarmingly ALL of this season’s games bar one (QPR v Millwall) have been League 1 and League 2 matches. So why promote him to a Championship match now with such obvious precedent with one of the clubs involved. Most fair-minded people believe that Mr Prosser can no longer be fair-minded if officiating at a football match involving Brighton and Hove Albion.

Please revoke your decision to award Mr Prosser the Preston v Brighton match now.

Yours sincerely

Last edited:

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
I've amended the letter I sent them last time. You'll remember I claimed responsibility for getting him sacked, even though it was probably nothing to do with me. Let's hope it works.

mindyjaja

May 9, 2004
I have been giving serious consideration to invoicing the FA for my travel expenses and cost of match tickets after the recent run of poor refs we have had

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Is the tape of Prosser's racist remarks on SCR still available?

balloonboy

aka Jim in the West
Jan 6, 2004
Way out West
Emailed my feelings:

Dear Sir/Madam,

I read today that Mr Phil Prosser has been nominated as the official for the above match. I had the grave misfortune to watch his performance at the Brighton v Sheff Utd match two seasons ago. The only word to describe the actions of Mr Prosser that day is "Diabolical".....not just the spurious award of two penalties to Sheffield Utd, but his claims after the match that he'd been racially abused by the Brighton fans. In the light of these claims, Mr Prosser's impartiality much surely be open to question. Even were the passage of time to have healed the obvious antipathy Mr Prosser held towards Brighton & Hove Albion, it surely cannot be good for the reputation of the Football League to make such a contentious nomination for such a vital game.

I appreciate that clubs and their fans cannot be seen to pick and choose match officials. However, when a referee clearly goes out of his way to make claims of racial abuse well after the game in question, and those claims are investigated by the police and found to be groundless, clearly something is amiss. It's worth noting that Mr Prosser also claimed that a Sheffield United player had been racially abused, yet the player himself denied this!

Given the "history" which Mr Prosser has with Brighton & Hove Albion, I am sure his appointment for the above match is an oversight on the part of the Football League. Hopefully this can be rectified before Tuesday.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here