Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Letter in todays Argus - Is this Groundhog day?

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Jim in the West - you're right.

The advantages of having a staduim next to a uni outnumber the disadvantages, there are lots of people willing to work saturday afternoons and weekday evenings. I know plenty of people that work in the bars, or do security at molineux.

In the case of Wolverhampton Uni (not the best I know) they actually benifit from havening a stadum on campus. There are even lecture rooms inside the stadium!

Last edited:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
the full harris said:
That is a mistake worthy of Norman Baker.

You CLOWN frank!!

Hardly as bad of the mistake your parents made on the night of your conception though. However, as usual you miss the point. Read the original letter where the writer harps on about the other campus.

D

Deleted User X18H

He comes from Polgate ,what has Falmer or Waterhall or anytihng in Brighton and Hove got to do with him.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
Yes FRANK. Sort your life out man.

The Club/Council had lengthy negotiations with the university of Brighton about the pay off (which I believe is to be around 5 million) that the uni would recieve. The club cannot start work on the stadium until the new university buildings are finished.

I know when this date is, roughly.

The VC of the uni did not enjoy Martin Perry's bullying tactics during the talks and the uni very nearly pulled the plug. The council resolved matters.

Whatever, I was a bit dubious myself but there again, I reckon overall I was a lot more accurate that the original writer. Part of the trouble is that I stopped readuing the Argus a good while ago though.

Last edited:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I agree that The Argus is being irresponsible publishing a letter from someone who clearly hasn't been following developments. His views will clearly mislead / confuse other readers.

Secondly, I'd like to know why the editor decided to print the letter in the first place, all I can think is that he had nothing else to print.

the full harris

Feb 14, 2004
bhaexpress said:
Hardly as bad of the mistake your parents made on the night of your conception though.

:lolol:

Your comebacks are getting more laughable by the day! What, you're saying you'd rather I'd never been born? What a muppet!

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Pavilionaire said:
I agree that The Argus is being irresponsible publishing a letter from someone who clearly hasn't been following developments. His views will clearly mislead / confuse other readers.

Secondly, I'd like to know why the editor decided to print the letter in the first place, all I can think is that he had nothing else to print.

He probably likes bored mugs like me to write back to have some sort of a debate when there's nothing about treatments centres or any other new designs for a run down area to print about.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Its pretty clear they'll print anything (including fairly blatant wind-ups). At the end of the day, its just an opinions page, so no matter how much bollocks someone spouts on there, it IS still just an opinion. Its in the Argus's interests to print the shit ones anyway, as it does generate a response.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
the full harris said:
:lolol:

Your comebacks are getting more laughable by the day! What, you're saying you'd rather I'd never been born? What a muppet!

Well, at least I'm funny. Still your habit of whining when somebody tales the piss out of you (such as LI on Sunday for example) is very reminiscent of 1066. Are you related ?

Anyway, as I know you'll want to continue you efforts as the NSC stalker I'll end there. In a battle of wits I find it unsporting to challenge an unarmed challenger.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Someone from the club needs to write in and set the record straight.

If I was Martin Perry I'd have a stock letter on my PC for this sort of eventuality which, as the "groundhog day" title of this thread suggests, comes up frequently.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Easy 10 said:
Its pretty clear they'll print anything (including fairly blatant wind-ups). At the end of the day, its just an opinions page, so no matter how much bollocks someone spouts on there, it IS still just an opinion. Its in the Argus's interests to print the shit ones anyway, as it does generate a response.

Feel free to have a laugh at my expense, the letter of mine they printed was in fact a response to a wind up. At least mine wasn't the only one !

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
bhaexpress said:
Feel free to have a laugh at my expense, the letter of mine they printed was in fact a response to a wind up. At least mine wasn't the only one !
OK thanks, I will...

:D

(although I didn't even know you'd had one printed - honest !)

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Black Country Seagull said:
in the case of Falmer, students at the two universities who deserve quiet surroundings for their studies.

Sorry since when have students been concerned about silent surroundings on saturdays and tuesday nights, generally i found students were on the piss by that point of the week.

Also does the fact that london is currently congested, mean that the regeneration of the public transport system and surrounding areas highlighted in the olympic bid be considered questionable.

or having firework displays in the garden (one of the reasons we moved from brighton)
waterhall was being talked about in the 70's and it was a no-no then.
falmer now!!!! :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :albion: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Jim in the West said:
Kind of ironic that congestion is the main issue in his letter, when public transport links mean that Falmer is the only logical site. Incidentally, in the future I genuinely think that having a ground so close to two universities is going to be fantastic news both for the universities and the club. I am constantly surprised at how many people I meet who say that they first started watching us when they were at uni or college in Brighton. They may not be ardent fans, but they retain a keen interest, and will go to the odd game (generally an away match) every now and then. I believe there are in total well over 30,000 students at the two universities, which ought to mean a reasonable boost to home attendances. Also, a great opportunity to introduce overseas students to our national sport. I very much hope the club will work closely with both universities, and set up some form of discount scheme for the students.

I know of at least two Swedish Seagulls who support the Albion and fly over to watch matches which started when they were at Sussex Uni and watched at the Goldstone.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Easy 10 said:

Just like NSC :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
I like the Groundhogs!

Attachments

• split[1].jpg
    split[1].jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 96

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
As we know that the Argus is pro-Falmer, the letter could simply be their way of asking for some pro-Falmer letters. The letter they've published is quite clearly b*llocks, it strikes me as just their way of enlivening the letters page.

The Bristol Evening Post do it regularly - they'll publish a letter which suggests that Filton is a much better site for Bristol's airport (compared to where the airport is actually sited). Which is very true theoretically, but prectically Filton has the same chance of becoming a large scale commercial airport at Waterhall has of being the next home for the Albion.

Regional newspapers thrive on controversy. In Bristol the key controversial issues are the airport and the bus services.....in Brighton it's Falmer.

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
bhaexpress said:
Well, at least I'm funny. Still your habit of whining when somebody tales the piss out of you (such as LI on Sunday for example) is very reminiscent of 1066. Are you related ?

Anyway, as I know you'll want to continue you efforts as the NSC stalker I'll end there. In a battle of wits I find it unsporting to challenge an unarmed challenger.

BHAExpress - what an effin turnip you are!
Grow up!

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
Any number of US universities have stadia larger than Old Trafford on campus. The University of Michigan, IIRC, has one with a capacity ~100,000.

Folks seem to study o.k. despite their being filled every fall Saturday.

And my interest in BHA goes back to an old girfriend who was a student at the Uni in the very early '80's.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here