Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Letter from Norman Baker MP

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
burrish gull said:
The club are now backing me on this matter and were very interested in Bakers reply. I'm just waiting for an answer from Charles Kennedy, should be interesting, I'm going to push this as far as I can.

You're like a trerrier aren't you? Once you've sunk your teeth in....:lolol:

burrish gull said:
The club are now backing me on this matter and were very interested in Bakers reply. I'm just waiting for an answer from Charles Kennedy, should be interesting, I'm going to push this as far as I can.

Well, don't expect anything from that quarter. About a year ago, I wrote to Kennedy about the behaviour of Baker and Bellotti and the damage they had done - and were continuing to do - to the LibDem cause in Sussex and around the country. I got a completely ridiculous reply from his PA premissed on an open lie. I complained about it - but got no reply.

Last edited:

burrish gull

Aug 8, 2003
burrish
Rangdo said:
You're like a trerrier aren't you? Once you've sunk your teeth in....:lolol:

Yep politicians are fair game as far as I'm concerned, especially ones that are trying to kill my football club , grrrrrrrrrr..........

burrish gull

Aug 8, 2003
burrish
fatbadger said:
Well, don't expect anything from that quarter. About a year ago, I wrote to Kennedy about the behaviour of Baker and Bellotti and the damage they had done - and were continuing to do - to the LibDem cause in Sussex and around the country. I got a completely ridiculous reply from his PA premissed on an open lie. I complained about it - but got no reply.

Cheers mate, I won't get my hopes up but if we were to publicise their apathy in the right way we might rattle a few cages, with the general election coming up any bad press gets them sweating. I'm gunning fagainst my local libs dems as well, now a complaint to their leader from them might get things going. Now is the time to start doing it , apathy is not an option!!!

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Charles Kennedy is not very popular in Adur. Liberals and then Liberal Democrats were the ruling party for 15 years. Now they have got nil seats.

burrish gull

Aug 8, 2003
burrish
perseus said:
Charles Kennedy is not very popular in Adur. Liberals and then Liberal Democrats were the ruling party for 15 years. Now they have got nil seats.

Be interesting to see what my local Lib Dems (Bexhill and Battle) think of him and Baker when they eventually get back to me.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
b.w.2. said:
Where does Baker propose that the stadium should be, and why?... it is not good enough to just say other sites are better...

Withdean, he said to me :rolleyes:

Brightonfan1983

Jul 5, 2003
UK
burrish gull said:
I sent a letter to Norman Baker last week detailing my disgust at his attitude towards Falmer, I also said that at the next Election the Lib Dems would now lose my vote and my familys as we were thinking of voting for them.I don't live in Lewes but Burwash, which is a die hard Tory area, but a vote for the Lib Dems would at least try to get them out as a protest vote.

I recieved a letter back from Baker today (hand signed) which proves what a complete idiot he his, in that he has'nt addressed the fact that his party might lose votes but just sent me a stock answer about him never saying he wanted the Albion to die and the reasons he does'nt want Falmer.

I am now going to take this further and contact my local lib Dems and Charles Kennedy, I'm even thinking of starting a campaign in my village against the Lib Dems. I think this is the way forward because there are still enough marginal seats for them in Sussex and losing votes because of Bakers stance could damage them.

I emailed him asking him to outline his views on Falmer - I got the same stock letter back. What a loser.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
With our recent history involving Lib Dem MPs I can't see how any Albion fan could even consider voting for them, but I bet some do. Is there any way we could persuade someone to put something in the matchday program highlighting our recent record with that particular party? Might turn a few heads.

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
Re: Letter to Charles Kennedy

burrish gull said:
Think he drinks pints of Whiskey like Mark Mcghee?

Dear Mr Kennedy,

I am writing to you about my concerns about the current position of Mr Norman Baker MP and the building of a stadium for Brighton and Hove Albion FC at Falmer. You are probably aware of this emotive issue and hopefully like everyone else see the ridiculous situation the club are in.

There is nowhere else to build a stadium in Brighton, Mr Baker knows that but he and Lewes District council are doing their best to ruin the club that I and many people love.

I have written to Mr Baker detailing that I will not now be voting Lib Dem (along with four members of my family) at the next election because of his stance on the matter. I do not live in Lewes and have no way of voting against Mr Baker, but live a short journey away in Burwash which comes under the Bexhill voting area.

Traditionally this have been a die hard Tory area but I'm sure given the current state of that party you would be looking to gain votes not lose them.

The area is in desperate need of a modern sporting arena. This issue effects the whole of Sussex and not just Brighton and Hove and I feel that by ignoring this fact the Lib Dems are being very short sighted.

In his reply, Mr Baker, did not seem concerned about this at all and I would be interested to know your stance on this and the building of the stadium at Falmer.

For what it's worth, I spoke to Charles Kennedy face to face about Baker and the stadium issue, last April. He was not aware of all the controversy, but told me "Norman Baker is a pretty sound guy; he must have his reasons. I'll have it looked into though."

I think we can all guess what the outcome was. Kennedy will continue to back Baker who, this key issue (for us) apart, is generally seen as a good constituency MP, with a strong record on all the primary LibDem concerns.

I'll be interested in his reply.

Last edited:

Dr Breakfast said:
Incidentally, what has war in Iraq got to do with Baker
Can I just register my depression at reading this sentiment?

And I do so as someone who is beginning to think that the struggle for Falmer is taking over my life.

I really care about the future of the Albion and getting that stadium. But what worries me even more is that there seem to be millions of people in Britain - including most young voters - who seem to think that the electoral process isn't relevant to anything, let alone the big issues - like war and peace, and life and death.

Christ, if you are waiting for the Kent & Sussex Courier to do an article Burrish then you'll have a long wait.

I think you'll find they are more concerned with cats stuck up trees.

I buy the KnS Courier every other Friday, the ones in between I stick with Private Eye - sometimes though it is hard to tell them apart.........

Wilts

Jul 5, 2003
Bournemouth/Reading
Lord Bracknell said:
including most young voters.

Ah, you mean those people who are now going to vote Labour upon seeing Tony Blair on "Richard and Judy", so swung by the fact that he's "so in touch with the people because he goes on TV, like".

Very depressing indeed...

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
Lord Bracknell said:
Can I just register my depression at reading this sentiment?

And I do so as someone who is beginning to think that the struggle for Falmer is taking over my life.

I really care about the future of the Albion and getting that stadium. But what worries me even more is that there seem to be millions of people in Britain - including most young voters - who seem to think that the electoral process isn't relevant to anything, let alone the big issues - like war and peace, and life and death.

A point very well made Lord B, and for what it's worth I think you are right.

The facts we face though are that the Albion is a way of life for some people, and it is what keeps them going, so there are some of the young element who are not going to be so concerned about what is happening in the Middle East or anywhere else and issues that don't directly affect their lives. When an issue that does directly affect their lives is put in front of them, of course they are going to care more.

Human nature I'm afraid....

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
Rangdo said:
With our recent history involving Lib Dem MPs I can't see how any Albion fan could even consider voting for them, but I bet some do. Is there any way we could persuade someone to put something in the matchday program highlighting our recent record with that particular party? Might turn a few heads.

I will probably vote for the Lib Dems, because the other two are even worse - BUT I'm not in Sussex, so it won't help Baker at all. I would certainluy vote against him.

I spoke to the "leader" of the Lib Dems here at Southampton Uni about this the other day at the "Refreshers Bunfight", and his general statement was "Yeah, we do have a wanker or two in our party. So does every party, so vote party not candidate. But we are going to Westminster soon on a visit, if I get to speak to anyone, I'll let them know how much his stance could cost us, votewise".

(I had of course told him that I'd never vote for them again after Baker's Falmer stance.)

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Who is the biggest wanker "leader" of them all.

It is quite unbelievable how Kennedy and the Liberal head office managed to destroy the Adur Liberal Party overnight. From having nearly every seat on the Council for 15 years to zilch (no seats whatsoever) in as quick as it could be done, it is an amazing accomplishment.

Gross stupidity is endemic in the Liberal Democrat party. That is not to say it is rare elsewhere. I expect it is quite common everywhere.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here