• Brighton Pier

Votes: 26 27.4%

• Total voters

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
gvce26 said:
Its called the Brighton Pier. Its only still know as the Palace Pier because of people like the editor of the Argus will not move with the times and insists on calling it Palace... Strange as they have changed their name from The Evening Argus to "The Argus". Surely if the Local rag which has been around for hundreds of years can change its name the the Pier can aswell.

It only changed its name when it started printing morning editions.

aftershavedave

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
gvce26 said:
NO matter what reason it changed namers, The point is that you are never going to stop it being called the Brighton Pier, our children and children's children will be brought up knowing it as the Brighton Pier and its time that it should be accepted.

well my child is going to call it the palace pier and it's a night in the shed if "brighton pier" is ever uttered:ohmy:

Del Boy

Oct 1, 2004
WATF0RD ZERO said:
Too many long words MOH. See if you can explain it in single syllables............ or maybe pictures ???

and oi gvce26 - My kids know it as the Palace Pier and know why :angry:

Do they work in the mines after scool for a shilling a week aswell :dunce:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
gvce26 said:
NO matter what reason it changed namers, The point is that you are never going to stop it being called the Brighton Pier, our children and children's children will be brought up knowing it as the Brighton Pier and its time that it should be accepted.
I'm not trying to get people to stop calling it anything. They can call it Brighton Pier, Palace Pier, The Big Sticky-Outy Thing In The Water, or simply "Albert" for all I care.

I started calling it the Palace Pier. I grew up calling it the Palace Pier. And I will DIE calling it the Palace Pier. What anyone else calls it is on my list of priorities roughly between "painting my uncles dog yellow" and "making a scale model of the Taj Mahal out of discarded batteries".

syrup head

Jul 5, 2003
Worthing
REDLAND said:
Indeed Crabbers, how can people READ 1 thing then SAY another,

CRAZY

Look here you Plumpton Ponce you are missing the point. It seems that all that money that I paid for your education was a waste.

Would you say that Stanley and Archer were right in selling the Goldstone Ground? The Noble organisation is out of the same league as Greg and Bill. They are just out to feather their own nests.

The change of name was to kill off the opposition, The West Pier, in the same way that they killed off Peter Pans Playground. In other words it was just a cynical marketing ploy that ran roughshod over the feelings of local people.

Established Brighton residents haven't forgotton the pledge made by these unscrupulous people. When they were granted permission to demolish the beautiful, but storm damaged, Victorian theatre on the Palace Pier, it was on the understanding that within five years they would commence building another one.

That must have been twenty years ago. Where's the theatre? All we have seen is a steady build up of unsightly fairground attractions, until the Council eventually stepped in and said that enough was enough.

The name Palace Pier belongs to the residents of Brighton and it's not for changing by its current custodians.

WATF0RD ZERO

Jan 22, 2004
blue gull has explained very clearly and concisely so it is

Palace, Palace,Palace, Palace,Palace, Palace,Palace, Palace,Palace, Palace,Palace, Palace,Palace, Palace,Palace, Palace,Palace, Palace,Palace, Palace,Palace, Palace,Palace, Palace,Palace, Palace,Palace, Palace,Palace, Palace,Palace, Palace,Palace, Palace,Palace, Palace,Palace, Palace,Palace, Palace,Palace, Palace,Palace, Palace,Palace, Palace,Palace, Palace,Palace, Palace,Palace, Palace,Palace, Palace,Palace, Palace,Palace, Palace,Palace, Palace,Palace, Palace,Palace, Palace,

PALACE Got it ?

..... and relax

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
blue gull said:
Look here you Plumpton Ponce you are missing the point. It seems that all that money that I paid for your education was a waste.

I would be very surprised if you were educated with an attitude like that !!

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
I'm the biggest hypocrit of them all, La Cala restaurant/bar in Southwick...I still refer to it as "Waves" :lolol:

time for my pills...

syrup head

Jul 5, 2003
Worthing
REDLAND said:
I would be very surprised if you were educated with an attitude like that !!

Am I educated?

Well I am able to put sentences together, with proper punctuation. I know where to start a new paragraph. . . . . . I'll let you be the judge.

By the way. Looking at the vote, it would seem that the PALACE PIER has it.

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
blue gull said:
Am I educated?

Well I am able to put sentences together, with proper punctuation. I know where to start a new paragraph. . . . . . I'll let you be the judge.

very good then

ps The Pope is Polish mate :athumb:

syrup head

Jul 5, 2003
Worthing
REDLAND said:

ps The Pope is Polish, Mate.

The suitability of Falmer as a venue for a city football stadium is another thread.

This one is about the PALACE PIER.

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
blue gull said:
The suitability of Falmer as a venue for a city football stadium is another thread.

This one is about the PALACE PIER.

Ahhh so your a NIMBY type then, that explains your attitude !!

Last edited:

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
Easy 10 said:
I've always called it the Palace Pier, and will continue to do so. The fact that they've changed the name is not important enough for me to make a concious effort to call it 'Brighton' pier.

I can't be arsed to change.

Agreed, further to a previous post I have always known it as "Palace Pier" and in dicussion always use that name. but as I no longer live in Brighton that may be why!

To be honest, I didn't know the name had in fact been changed.

If I were to go on it I wouldn't look up and see if the name had changed!

:nono:

Last edited:

3gulls

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
What about the West Pier? Shouldn't that be "Brighton Pier", as is it more in keeping with the town? :jester:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Its the Palace Pier. And i still bank with the Midland Bank (bastards), buy Marathons and Opal Fruits, and clean the bathroom with Jif.

:salute:

Robbie G

Jul 26, 2004
Hassocks
Not living in Brighton, i call it just simply "the Pier" as its only pier around that i would go to. (i.e "Where did u go today?" "Went down to the pier")
Other than calling it "the Pier", I've always used Palace Pier

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here