Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

lets hope these results don't keep papering over the cracks.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Yeah, lets tell fans who aren't 100% happy with how we're playing should f*ck off. Falmer would look great if it was half-empty. Genius.

I'd rather it were half empty with people that want to get behind the team than completely full with whinging prats with no objectivity, one clear agenda and a superiority complex.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
For the last 30 minutes we invited Hull to come at us.
At 1 point we had nobody in their half when we were breaking. That showed how much attacking intent we had.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one. I thought we played on the break when we were 1-0 and showed quite a lot of attacking intent. As I said, we were pushing forward when they caught us at the back and scored.

Gerbil

Nsc's most loved
Jul 6, 2003
Stalking Hayley
I'd rather it were half empty with people that want to get behind the team than completely full with whinging prats with no objectivity, one clear agenda and a superiority complex.

Hmmm don't think Mr Bloom would see it that way.

Silver flying chariot

Aug 5, 2003
The trouble with people like you is you ask all the questions but you never have the answers, We can all do that it's easy. Instead of being ready to moan when things go wrong why don't you give us some insight to what you think we should do in the next game? what formation should we play and what players? Not just what we should do but why we should do it taking into account the team we're playing and the players they've got. Going by the way you post you obviously know better than Oscar so please fill us all with your knowledge.

Read the thread... I said many times I woud Play 2 strikers up frontor at very least play play 2 attacking midfielder that go FORWARD AND ATTACK with PACE. Watch other teams at the amex and watch how quickly they get forward to support their loan striker. We don't get anywhere near getting forward quickly enough.

Why get all smarty pants with stupid comments like "I clearly know better than Garcia" -What a silly comment

Silver flying chariot

Aug 5, 2003

that sounds like a good business plan.. Lets just have the 5000 diehards at the amex every week. Sod trying to grow the fan base, we only want loyal staunch yes men in the crowd.

That is never going to work and you know it.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London

The title was LETS HOPE these results don't keep papering over the cracks. Why was it a weird thread to put up when we'd just won? IT WAS TOTALLY VINDICATED. People were saying things were fine because we won. Well all of a sudden I have been shown correct. The results WERE COVERING UP THE CRACKS. - It was correct when we won 1-0 as much as its correct when we lose 2-1 to an ex premier league side and a premier leagues side (on the reverse of this Do we therefore in the same context call Doncaster an Ex league 1 side that we beat 1-0 at home?)

Go back and read the abuse I got on this thread about having an opinion. I was told to "**** off and support QPR", "you must be Palace" an also called a "JCL". I still believe that my intial comments were correct, the results were covering up our in ability to score more than 1 goal in a game. This is totally on Garcia and his negatvie tactics. I accept you disagree with me, however in my opinion we are underacheiving this season if we miss the play offs. All teams get injuries, that isn't an excuse you can use. Its about how you adapt to these changes. Sadly I can't see Garcia adapting to anything until its too late. Bringing on a 2nd striker with 1 min to go in a cup game your losing just about summed it up for me...

Don't be silly

If you got abuse, then that's annoying but it very much seemed like you were delighted we were 2-0 down tonight so you could bounce this thread. I didn't necessarily think we were amazing against Doncaster but better against Leeds. We have a limited budget compared to other teams in this league and while I realise all teams get injuries, most teams don't have the number of long term injuries that we've had.

Tonight is Garcia's fault to an extent, as he should have played Kuszczak, but I genuinely believe that Garcia has done really done well to get us to 8th. Last year was our chance but we messed it up in the play offs for whatever reason.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Read the thread... I said many times I woud Play 2 strikers up frontor at very least play play 2 attacking midfielder that go FORWARD AND ATTACK with PACE. Watch other teams at the amex and watch how quickly they get forward to support their loan striker. We don't get anywhere near getting forward quickly enough.

Why get all smarty pants with stupid comments like "I clearly know better than Garcia" -What a silly comment

Total rubbish answer that shows you as having no clue other than hindsight.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
BUT ULLOA MISSED!!!! AND WE LOST.....

The 2nd half last week against Hull and like many other games we just sat and sat and sat on a 1-0 lead. Luckily the teams we played were so incompetent they couldn't score.

This tactic doesn't work as has been shown in the last 2 games and the fact we have scored the least goals away from home in the league this season. (HENCE THE TITLE OF THE THREAD!!!)

It is quite weird, because, I feel like there are areas that need improving, areas that even when we win look like they could see us come undone against better opposition. So, essentially I agree with the basic point you are trying to make. But there's just something about the way you are making your point that makes you sound so reactionary and as if everything is black and white, which just gets everyone's hackles up.

That tactic has worked plenty of times this season. The last two games you speak of were against a premier league team with 3 second choice players in the back five two days after we played recent premier league team and FA Cup holders wigan (who still have premier league quality players). I'd say there were pretty clear extenuating circumstances for losing those games.

The tactic can work, but it won't always. Like pretty much every tactic out there. Peterborough like to play all out attack, but when they are in the championship against a better standard of player than league one, this comes back to bite them a lot more. Arsenal won the premier league with a score one and defend it tactic that they had the quality to do.

You claim that these two losses prove you right. How? Whichever team gets promoted this season has already lost at least two games. Whichever team wins the premier league has already lost two games. Are these teams just papering over the cracks? No. Because every system, every tactic, will have a game or two where it just doesn't work, so a loss doesn't prove or disprove anything. Just like a win doesn't mean everything is fine and dandy.

Gerbil

Nsc's most loved
Jul 6, 2003
Stalking Hayley
Total rubbish answer that shows you as having no clue other than hindsight.

How is that hindsight Mr Condescending?
When we are at home it's up to US to take the game to the opposition.
If we insist on playing this 4 3 3 then we need pace which we don't often have.
Seems you are stumped for another smart arsed answer by saying what you did.

Silver flying chariot

Aug 5, 2003
. We have a limited budget compared to other teams in this league

We also have 23,000 season ticket holders which most teams in this league and some in the prem don't have, we have a top stadium and are building top training facilities to attract players to. - accepting a team finishing 8th with all our resources, selling our better players and not replacing them with like for like and our continual dull style of football will see the "floating fans" (and lets be honest we need to keep these sweet more than the die hards) disapear.

This is not the reciepe for success. The first thing to start with the product on the pitch. These players were good enough to get to the play offs last year.. all of a sudden they have managed to turn overnight into duds? - not having that. Poyet's tactics were very similar, however this was covered up as he got the best out of the side and got us in the play offs. - Are you happy to continually be 25 pts off the pace?

Rohana

I'm.Actually.Dead.
Feb 16, 2010
Shoreham-By-Sea

The idiocy in the post means it isn't even worth replying to properly.

3117433.gif

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
We also have 23,000 season ticket holders which most teams in this league and some in the prem don't have, we have a top stadium and are building top training facilities to attract players to. - accepting a team finishing 8th with all our resources, selling our better players and not replacing them with like for like and our continual dull style of football will see the "floating fans" (and lets be honest we need to keep these sweet more than the die hards) disapear.

This is not the reciepe for success. The first thing to start with the product on the pitch. These players were good enough to get to the play offs last year.. all of a sudden they have managed to turn overnight into duds? - not having that. Poyet's tactics were very similar, however this was covered up as he got the best out of the side and got us in the play offs. - Are you happy to continually be 25 pts off the pace?

Sorry, we're 8th, not bottom. They're not duds. However, last year we got to the play offs with Bridcutt fit all season (and player of the year), one of Ulloa and CMS available all season etc. We've had a lot of injuries and the summer was chaos. I would hope that most supporters see this as a season of consolidation and pushing next year. I'm amazed that we're in touch with the play offs given what has happened. That's not negative, just accepting the reality of the situation.

Sadly, we will lose fans with a mid table season but the only other option is to throw money we don't have at the situation. The likes of QPR, Reading and Wigan have money that we can't compete with.

Rohana

I'm.Actually.Dead.
Feb 16, 2010
Shoreham-By-Sea
Why change the habit of a lifetime?

The problem is for every person like you who can see the negative side of the game, there's somebody who can't see any reason to be frustrated or annoyed by how we're playing.

I feel for Garcia, he's been brought in for one reason - he's cheap. The club are trying to reduce the wage budget, relying on loanees and free transfers. Poyet would have kicked up a fuss if he'd been given such a tiny budget. Most other managers would have wanted to bring in their own players and would have been publicly angry if they hadn't been given the chance to do so. Garcia isn't the kind of person to come out and complain, or cause the board any problems with demands for a higher budget or more say in transfers.

However, that is no excuse for the tactics we've seen for a lot of this season. I can understand Garcia wanting to play a certain way, but surely he can see that the lack of pace isn't working. Today has been another dire performance until we brought on some pace and all of a sudden we look much better. His refusal to learn from his mistakes is one of the main reasons people fell out with Poyet. However we're supposed to just suck it with Garcia. I just don't get why.

I'm not going to jump on the Garcia out bandwagon but something does need to change and soonish. This season has been a backwards step and its frustrating to see Poyets good work taken apart slowly.

Because when I post something to try and start a serious debate, everybody ignored it. Suppose its easier to write me off as a troll then to actually try to have a reasonable debate when you know f*ck all, hey.

Funny how when people try to have a sensible debate which isn't 100% behind the club, they're written off as trolls and ignored. However, when pro-Brighton posters do the same thing its apparently proof that we're trolling or not Brighton fans. Couldn't make this shite up.

Silver flying chariot

Aug 5, 2003
It is quite weird, because, I feel like there are areas that need improving, areas that even when we win look like they could see us come undone against better opposition. So, essentially I agree with the basic point you are trying to make. But there's just something about the way you are making your point that makes you sound so reactionary and as if everything is black and white, which just gets everyone's hackles up.

That tactic has worked plenty of times this season. The last two games you speak of were against a premier league team with 3 second choice players in the back five two days after we played recent premier league team and FA Cup holders wigan (who still have premier league quality players). I'd say there were pretty clear extenuating circumstances for losing those games.

The tactic can work, but it won't always. Like pretty much every tactic out there. Peterborough like to play all out attack, but when they are in the championship against a better standard of player than league one, this comes back to bite them a lot more. Arsenal won the premier league with a score one and defend it tactic that they had the quality to do.

You claim that these two losses prove you right. How? Whichever team gets promoted this season has already lost at least two games. Whichever team wins the premier league has already lost two games. Are these teams just papering over the cracks? No. Because every system, every tactic, will have a game or two where it just doesn't work, so a loss doesn't prove or disprove anything. Just like a win doesn't mean everything is fine and dandy.

scoring 2 goals twice in 16 league games will not keep fans coming to watch Brighton. Agree with you that 2 defeats doesn't mean EVERYTHING is wrong, Just like the wins didn't, however our continual negativity to even attempt to score a 2nd goal and kill games off is what I find frustrating. Not sure you can compare us to Arsenal in terms of putting up with 1-0 wins to get results. . The two clubs are so different and don't compare at all.

Ultimatley, after 30 odd games you can argue the tactic hasn't worked.... We are 25 pts off the pace, 9 points behind 5th place.. That in my book would indicate we aren't being succesful enough. All clubs have injuries, not having that as an excuse.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
How is that hindsight Mr Condescending?
When we are at home it's up to US to take the game to the opposition.
If we insist on playing this 4 3 3 then we need pace which we don't often have.
Seems you are stumped for another smart arsed answer by saying what you did.

How do we play with pace all the time when we've been constantly having to nurse our pacey players through injury and have to restrict their playing time?

Gerbil

Nsc's most loved
Jul 6, 2003
Stalking Hayley

Change the formation we play. Unfortunately it looks like our coaching staff are unable to do this which is why we set up a 4 3 3 every game with no pace to help the lone striker. Works better when we defend but leaves us hopelessly short going forward.

Silver flying chariot

Aug 5, 2003
Sorry, we're 8th, not bottom. They're not duds. However, last year we got to the play offs with Bridcutt fit all season (and player of the year), one of Ulloa and CMS available all season etc. We've had a lot of injuries and the summer was chaos. I would hope that most supporters see this as a season of consolidation and pushing next year. I'm amazed that we're in touch with the play offs given what has happened. That's not negative, just accepting the reality of the situation.

Sadly, we will lose fans with a mid table season but the only other option is to throw money we don't have at the situation. The likes of QPR, Reading and Wigan have money that we can't compete with.

Injuries are no excuse, every club has injuries, its about adapting and planning around them. I am so suprised that you have the opinion of being amazes that we are in touch with the play offs. The play offs are surely an absolute minimum? People are not willing to accept mediocrity. Hence why (unfairly sometimes) managers don't get long in the job.. That's just the way it is. We have to take advantage NOW of our situation, not wait till all the floating fans have gone and got bored. We have the perfect opportunity to become a massively supported club, however with our current negative tactics and lack of attacking ability, your average JCL won't be hanging around - and to be honest, why would they? - to finish 10th every season and stump up the best part of £800 for the priviledge?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here