Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Let's have a heated debate - Public Smoking Ban

Do you support the proposed ban on smoking?

• Ban it - I'm a smoker

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • Don't ban it - I'm a smoker

Votes: 10 15.2%
  • Ban it - I don't smoke

Votes: 36 54.5%
  • Don't ban it - I don't smoke

Votes: 16 24.2%

• Total voters

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
Landlords of pubs should be given the choice to allow people to smoke or not then people can decide whether tehy want to go to the pub or not.

That, DKM, is a FACT.

its as simple as.

I think the argument is about staffs rights as well.

so if they dont want to work in a smoky pub. work in a non smoking one

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think there should be a total ban on smoking in pubs and clubs.

Most smokers I know have either tried to give up, or moan about wanting to give up. Well here's your chance...

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Easy 10 said:
EXACTLY.
It can be clearly displayed outside each pub whether it is a smoking establishment or not. Then non-smokers can decide to give it a wide berth if smoke bothers them, while smokers can make a beeline for it if they want a fag with their pint.

That way EVERYONE has a choice. Simple, innit.

Why the hell should non-smokers be expected to stay away from pubs because of smokers exercising their 'rights' to smoke? You want to smoke-stay out of the place. That way ALL of us have a choice. Even more simple innit?

Little Piggy

Oct 27, 2003
Ireland
Easy 10 said:
EXACTLY.
It can be clearly displayed outside each pub whether it is a smoking establishment or not. Then non-smokers can decide to give it a wide berth if smoke bothers them, while smokers can make a beeline for it if they want a fag with their pint.

That way EVERYONE has a choice. Simple, innit.

Yeah everyone has a choice if you are willing to go to a different pub to where your friends are going! That would not work at all. As long as you have one person who wants a ciggy, then everyone will end up going to the smokers pub as otherwise the smoker will get in a strop.

Landlords of pubs should be given the choice to allow people to smoke or not then people can decide whether tehy want to go to the pub or not.

That, DKM, is a FACT.

But that is the situation we have at the moment therefore most pubs will target 14-25 year olds, loud music, strong alcohol.

A few weeks ago I went on a stag in Cork, we did the usual.

No problem amongst us and the locals about non-smoking. People just went outside or sat outside. Like they do in Europe.

What everyone noticed that in the mornings our clothes just did NOT smell of smoke.

I go to a pub to DRINK not to consume smoke. If you need a fag that much, piss off outside or just stay at home. Why should I get cancer just because some smokers are ignorant twats.

LC

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Bwian said:
Why the hell should non-smokers be expected to stay away from pubs because of smokers exercising their 'rights' to smoke? You want to smoke-stay out of the place. That way ALL of us have a choice. Even more simple innit?

Why the hell should smokers be expected to stay away from pubs because of non-smokers exercising their 'rights' to not smoke? You want to not smoke-stay out of the place. That way ALL of us have a choice. Even more simple innit?

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
It's funny innit.

When this subject comes up everybody starts calling smokers 'tossers' and stuff. What the f*** is all that about?

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Little Piggy said:
No, they are not. They are primarily DRINKING establishments.

Thats it. Have places that don't sell alcohol but where smokers can sit around and smoke. They could call them homes.... oh.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Bwian said:
Shouldn't that be "If not having a cigarette bothers you that much GO SOMEWHERE ELSE"? I'm not moralising here-it's a fact that the effects of passive smoking are worse than originally thought and I can vouch for that. I used to smoke 2 packs of Marlboro a day, quit nearly 4 years ago and now I can't breathe when cigarette smoke is around me.

It is the smoker who should be inconvenienced-not non smokers. Want to smoke?-YOU go outside in the cold, rain, snow, etc. Want to smoke and drink? Do it at home please- that way my clothes don't smell like a frigging ash tray for days afterwards.
People have been smoking in pubs for ever, but all of a sudden, overnight its become this Huge Problem that everyone is suffering because of it. Personally, if the pub is too smokey for me then I'll go somewhere else. As long as its not being puffed in my face, then I barely even notice it. I've walked into pubs before, seen that its far too smokey for my liking, and gone elsewhere instead, its that easy. But a bit of smoke in the background barely registers.

The passive smoking issue is a factor, but its all relative isn't it. If you are contstantly going to a very smokey pub then yes, it will probably have some long term effects. But a bit of smoke in the background for a couple of hours two or 3 times a week is not going to strike non-smokers down with lung cancer, is it.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Rangdo said:
Thats it. Have places that don't sell alcohol but where smokers can sit around and smoke. They could call them homes.... oh.

Or have Pubs that have CHOSEN to allow people to smoke or not and let all the whingers f*** off somewhere else?

pasty

Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Or have Pubs that have CHOSEN to allow people to smoke or not and let all the whingers f*** off somewhere else?

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Little Piggy

Oct 27, 2003
Ireland
Smokers aren't doing themselves any favours here. I am against a ban but I feel like supporting it out of spite because they reckon they have more than a right to control the state of the air supply than non-smokers. At best they are equal. At worst they stink.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Little Piggy said:
Yeah everyone has a choice if you are willing to go to a different pub to where your friends are going! That would not work at all. As long as you have one person who wants a ciggy, then everyone will end up going to the smokers pub as otherwise the smoker will get in a strop.
Oh for christs sake, does COMMON BLOODY SENSE not come into this then ? If there is one smoker who will get into a strop because the majority who are non-smokers want to go to a non-smoking pub, then tell "stroppy" to either piss off somewhere else, or dive outside when they want a ciggy.

At least with smoking and non-smoking pubs, people are still left with a choice.

Last edited:

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Little Piggy said:
Smokers aren't doing themselves any favours here. I am against a ban but I feel like supporting it out of spite because they reckon they have more than a right to control the state of the air supply than non-smokers. At best they are equal. At worst they stink.

Do you not think that landlords of pubs should be given the choice as to whether they wish people to be able to smoke in their establishment? If there are some pubs that smokers can go to then they will go to those ones and non smokes who don't wish to join them can go somewhere else.

That MUST be the easiest way round this.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country

I'd rather have a pub that is TOLD to not let people smoke and let the smokers f*** off somewhere else.
The only reason non-smokers whinge is because they have had to put up with it for so long. Now the shoe is on the other foot suddenly the smokers are all having heart attacks (in some cases literally) and are bitching about it. Too bad. Live with it like we've had to for god knows how long.
Have fun smoking outside the pub.

pasty

Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Little Piggy said:

If only most non-smokers could take your point about being equal. Check the poll thus far - 11 votes from non-smokers against the ban (including myself)

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Rangdo said:

Have fun smoking outside the pub.

No need for that.

:(

Only kiddin', I only used that language because it said heated debate on the front of this thread. I really do think the only way is to give people a choice, it's worked in Canada where people are allowed to smoke in bars but nowhere else, why not here?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here