Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Leona Lewis covers NiN

simon swagbag

Jul 8, 2003
Eastbourne
Ha! Dermot just patted Buble on the back & said "a welcome recovery".

Seems even the compere acknowledged how poor Lewis was.:lolol:

D

Deleted member 18477

Leona has an incredible voice! She proves how downhill the x factor has gone in recent years!

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
You just know her bed has loads of fluffy toys on it.

She needs a 'Michael Hutchence meets Kylie Minogue' awakening.

Fran Hagarty

Jul 5, 2003
Mid Sussex
Ruined, just ruined. An amazing song, Cash's version was probably one of the few covers which is better than the original. So powerful. No-one should have been allowed to touch it after Cash.[/QUOTE

I agree totally. This isn't the first somg ruined by Leona Lewis - she also did it to "Run" by Snow Patrol. Although she undoubtedly has a good singing voice I really dislike it and her songs - the off switch comes into play every time the dreadful "Bleeding Love" is played, along with anything else she sings!

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I'm by no means a NiN fan, but the cover of that song by Johnny Cash (and of course the accompanying video) is one of the most emotive pieces of music ever recorded in my opinion, givern the context in terms of the part of his life that Cash was in at the time.

For some plastic X-Factor wannabe who can only DREAM of having 1/10th of the career, legacy and longevity that Johnny Cash has/had to assault that song is the musical equivalent of sacrilege IMO. I can only assume that the daft cow had no knowledge of previous versions of the song, because if she did surely she could not be so egotistical as to think that she could hold a candle to those who have done it before?

What's next for her? A crack at Bohemian Rhapsody, perhaps?

I am with Fruity. It took dire to Ashley Neal levels of shittyness.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
Trent Reznor - wrote the song on his life experiences, his drug use and the impact it had on his life, and that of his friends. The loss of loved ones as he goes on living a life of self harm and hate, pouring himself into the song.
Johnny Cash - drew on a long, full life lived, the experience of the people who grew up with him dying as he is gradually left (relatively) alone, in poor health, a frail shadow of his former self in an ever modernising world. He pours himself into the song.

Leona Lewis - Ooh, I like that song, I'll sing it.

Excellent! :thumbsup:

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
And now (albeit on a far less sacriligeous level), this year's winner's single is going to be an assault on "Cannonball" by Damien Rice....why can't they come up with their own songs rather than bastardizing someone else's?

Decode

Jan 25, 2010
Its the point where the act is better of not winning, just for the flack there are going to get. Instant uncredability, i dunno why Cowell does it.

Cheeky Chappie

Sep 27, 2007
Truly, truly, truly f***ing awful. 'Run' was bad enough but this takes the biscuit.
I know that the Johnny Cash version is a cover but it takes the original to another level. Bearing in mind his performance, career and life it should have stopped anyone else going near it.
But no. (Goes off in a right hump)

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Honestly, you people need to see what Cowell is playing at. He's admitted many times that he isn't a music buff but he's a Machiavellan genius at what he does. He's been right royally peed off with the last few years at getting his Christmas number ones sabotaged and he has deliberately picked this song because everyone treats the Torn track as some sort of sacred cow. It's ideal because NiN are the antithesis of X Factor and everyone loves to wax lyrical about the Johnny Cash cover and give it an almost spiritual dimension.

My two-pennyworth is that it's not the first soul-less cover version that's been sung and it won't be the last. I think George Michael's cover of True Faith is about the worst I've ever heard so I choose not to listen to it. Simples.

Also, I don't think Johnny Cash's version is as good as the original either. It's way too schmaltzy and I think this is confirmed with the incredibly naff black and white video that goes with the song. It's telegraphing how you should feel rather like a bad chick flick. IMO Johnny Cash is one of those artists that people like to name drop but I do wonder how many actually listen to his music (see also Red Snapper, Tom Waits, John Martyn et al). Johnny Cash didn't need to stoop to this level of emotional blackmail. I'm far more moved by the songs he sung about his childhood, his parents and of course his relationship with June Carter. When I see videos of him and June singing 'Jackson' the real and natural emotions he shows pisses all over the stage-managed 'Torn'.

Let the X-Factor fans have their fun and you go off and listen to what you want. Does anyone really care about christmas number ones anymore anyway?

Last edited:

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
I must confess to being more concerned about the Christmas number twos...

Besides, even Mr. Reznor himself admits the Cash version is superior - but what does he know, eh?

Last edited:

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
Leona Lewis can f*** off. This is what is wrong about being able to cover any song you like as long as you pay royalties. You don't even have to f***ing ask permission anymore. What a Thunder ****ing Cock Juggler!

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Honestly, you people need to see what Cowell is playing at. He's admitted many times that he isn't a music buff but he's a Machiavellan genius at what he does. He's been right royally peed off with the last few years at getting his Christmas number ones sabotaged and he has deliberately picked this song because everyone treats the Torn track as some sort of sacred cow. It's ideal because NiN are the antithesis of X Factor and everyone loves to wax lyrical about the Johnny Cash cover and give it an almost spiritual dimension.

My two-pennyworth is that it's not the first soul-less cover version that's been sung and it won't be the last. I think George Michael's cover of True Faith is about the worst I've ever heard so I choose not to listen to it. Simples.

Also, I don't think Johnny Cash's version is as good as the original either. It's way too schmaltzy and I think this is confirmed with the incredibly naff black and white video that goes with the song. It's telegraphing how you should feel rather like a bad chick flick. IMO Johnny Cash is one of those artists that people like to name drop but I do wonder how many actually listen to his music (see also Red Snapper, Tom Waits, John Martyn et al). Johnny Cash didn't need to stoop to this level of emotional blackmail. I'm far more moved by the songs he sung about his childhood, his parents and of course his relationship with June Carter. When I see videos of him and June singing 'Jackson' the real and natural emotions he shows pisses all over the stage-managed 'Torn'.

I think you mean 'Hurt'.....'Torn' was by Natalie Imbruglia I believe. :wink:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here