Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Leon v Jake

Repugnant Toad said:
What on earth did you see last night to suggest that Robinson merits a place in the team full-stop, let alone ahead of Knight? Some people seem to be watching different games to me ...

All I saw was Robinson miscontrolling it, endlessly turning into defenders when he should have held it, wasting Leon's through ball. That, and Leon worked back just as hard.

You really can see nothing in Robinson's game at all?

KinkyGoebels said:
Not in the past few matches, no

Whille I can see why you would be irritated by the Robinson-as-messiah hype, going completely the other way is just as bad. You really saw nothing good at Palace?

Even last night, where he was less effective and unlucky with a few offside decisions, his pace made the Wendy defender stop one of his crosses with his arm.

Last edited:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I was told him and carole were not off side in first 10 mins? i could not see as it was at other end - He just doesnt seem to read the game that well at the moment and some choices he makes are not great and his finishing needs improving - he has potential (spl) bt so have other players who have not made it.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
London Irish said:
Whille I can see why you would be irritated by the Robinson-as-messiah hype, going completely the other way is just as bad. You really saw nothing good at Palace?

Even last night, where he was less effective and unlucky with a few offside decisions, his pace made the Wendy defender stop one of his crosses with his arm.

Robinson has not been helped by certain people on this board building him up to be hybred of Rooney, Owen, Ronaldo, Raul etc. He is talented, but you can really count his decent games for us on one hand. He has pace, when match fit, but too often in games he is just shoved off the ball. I guess he needs to improve his upper body strength and it would help if we stopped lumping the ball up to him. When he gets on the shoulder of defenders, either play it on the ground just in front of him or dink it over the top, but do not hoof it.

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
London Irish said:
You really can see nothing in Robinson's game at all?

I can, mostly potential. He does show ability, and is occasionally excellent, but I'm bemused by the extent to which some people go OTT over his performances. At present, I think CKR is much the better option, as he demonstrated last night, doing far more in 30 minutes than Robinson did in an hour.

Uncle Buck said:
Robinson has not been helped by certain people on this board building him up to be hybred of Rooney, Owen, Ronaldo, Raul etc. He is talented, but you can really count his decent games for us on one hand. He has pace, when match fit, but too often in games he is just shoved off the ball. I guess he needs to improve his upper body strength and it would help if we stopped lumping the ball up to him. When he gets on the shoulder of defenders, either play it on the ground just in front of him or dink it over the top, but do not hoof it.

Agreed, but we only hoof it when under pressure, as all teams do. It's getting the edge in that midfield battle that is the key to our passing game as well as our ability to protect our back 4. I don't think the two-winger system has worked often enough for us to continue with it. A more conservative approach could actually, ironically, lead to a better passing effort by us.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
London Irish said:
Agreed, but we only hoof it when under pressure, as all teams do. It's getting the edge in that midfield battle that is the key to our passing game as well as our ability to protect our back 4. I don't think the two-winger system has worked often enough for us to continue with it. A more conservative approach could actually, ironically, lead to a better passing effort by us.

I think the wingers showed last night it does work if you have a play (ckr - el turi in the middle to head the ball. those two dont work that well together in my view

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
London Irish said:

If you are going to play two wingers you need some height in the middle and with our front 2 that is not there. Hammond was getting in there late, but his misses means he is inclined to stay a wee bit deeper at present.

It is a shame we do not have the depth of centre backs of last season, as I suspect Frutos would make a half decent wing back.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Uncle Buck said:
If you are going to play two wingers you need some height in the middle and with our front 2 that is not there. Hammond was getting in there late, but his misses means he is inclined to stay a wee bit deeper at present.

It is a shame we do not have the depth of centre backs of last season, as I suspect Frutos would make a half decent wing back.

You dunno what your talking bout

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here