Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Leon - some goals would be nice!

Del Boy

Oct 1, 2004
As the only striker assured of a starting place and proberly one of the highest earners at the club am I asking to much to see a few goals in return!!

Leon had a poor season last year and despite a good start this time he has only managed 3 goals in 18 games, now I'm not statto but I know that is terrible for a striker!

Come on Leon - Let's have some more starting tomorrow against Wolves!!

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
I'm inclined to agree. You can blame the service all you like but he should have had a few more goals by now, even if he'd created them out of nothing. We know he's capable on his day.

With our new more atacking shape and addition of two naturally gifted wing players in Frutos and Carole I think Knight should be getting on the end of more stuff. But perhaps it suits his play more to have the ball fed from central midfield and with chippy and Charlie injured the options are limited coming from Hammond - who I think I'd rather see going for goal himself - and Nicolas, who to be fair has never shown any inclination of setting up goals. Certainly more of a defensive player.

Turienzo in to get on the end of crosses, relieving some of the pressure from Knight who can then get on with using his natural skill to cause problems

Halftime Oranges

Oct 22, 2003
Rottingdean
Turienzo should have a chance tomorrow maybe become a hero:bounce:

Del Boy

Oct 1, 2004
Leon - here is a diagram of how to score.-
:goal:
And then you can do one of your rude boy celebrations!:lolol:

KinkyGoebels said:
1 rule for leon another for Robinson, shock horror

Not really Kinky. As the first post said leon is the only striker almost guaranteed a place in the team. Robinson is not.

Personally I'm not concerned with Leon's lack of goals. He's not missing gilt-edged chances and is creating chances for others in the team. His overall contribution this season has been consistently good.

The other difference of course is that Leon came here with a big reputation, and we have seen him perform and score goals in this team, albeit at a lower level.

Still, to the majority the old adage rings true. Strikers are judged on their goals. 3 for the season isn't good, but still the best we have.

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
Too many people are fooled by his 27 goals in Division Two - he's not an outright goal-scorer, in the Owen/Fowler mould, that was simply an exceptional achievement. He's a creative striker, more like Zola or Bergkamp, and as such, there's a lot more to his game than just goals.

We don't score that many goals as a team, so it's not like he's being eclipsed by team-mates. He's been one of our most consistent players this season - and how many assists has he got?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Kylies Stunt Arse said:
Not really Kinky. As the first post said leon is the only striker almost guaranteed a place in the team. Robinson is not.

Personally I'm not concerned with Leon's lack of goals. He's not missing gilt-edged chances and is creating chances for others in the team. His overall contribution this season has been consistently good.

The other difference of course is that Leon came here with a big reputation, and we have seen him perform and score goals in this team, albeit at a lower level.

Still, to the majority the old adage rings true. Strikers are judged on their goals. 3 for the season isn't good, but still the best we have.

leike you said he creates, people seem to forget this - he started the move for the goal on sat and another example was Leeds set up 2 and scored 1.

Del Boy

Oct 1, 2004
I know his all round game play and creating is great! but for me 3/18 is still piss poor! He needs to start getting some goals himself!

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Repugnant Toad said:
Too many people are fooled by his 27 goals in Division Two - he's not an outright goal-scorer, in the Owen/Fowler mould, that was simply an exceptional achievement. He's a creative striker, more like Zola or Bergkamp, and as such, there's a lot more to his game than just goals.

We don't score that many goals as a team, so it's not like he's being eclipsed by team-mates. He's been one of our most consistent players this season - and how many assists has he got?

Well said. Plus people seem to forget that last season he spent a large proportion on the left wing.

The last game, he finally went for it and hit some great shots. Perhaps he just needs a bit of encouragement and be a bit more selfish on the edge of the box, instead of trying something too clever.

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
3/18 is that how many games we've won ratio or is it actually much worse?

Have to admit when i saw Ipswich had equalised i was fcuking fuming on saturday.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
To be fair he cant put away his own crosses.
goals ass
Jake 10(4) 1 1

Leon 16 3 6

Ckr 7(8) 2 1

assists are rough - only games ive seen

Repugnant Toad said:

Agree with that - but it doesn't half put pressure on the "other" striker to get goals, or the midfield.

One of Leon's 3 was scored from a midfield role, so he's actually only got 2 when played as the front guy.

For a guy so full of tricks, it's always surprised me how difficult he finds it to feint and make room for shots. The amount of time you see Leon's shots charged down by defenders is remarkable.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here