Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Leon Knight? Surely Gary Hart? Wall of Legends.

Replace?

• Total voters

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
In my book you have to be more than a "one season wonder" to be considered a "legend". The club has 110 years of history but seems to have ignored most of what went on before Peter Ward. Legends in my book reads: Jimmy Case, Ian Chapman, Tommy Cook, John Crumplin, Bobby Farrell, Steve Foster, Norman Gall, Eric Gill, Roy Jennings, Mark Lawrenson, Kit Napier, Peter O'Sullivan, Brian Powney, Wardy, Charlie Webb, Glen and Joe Wilson. Yeah - there are others - Zamora and some of the modern day players - but Leon Knight? - I'd rather have included Farrington!

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Looking up from the Club shop up to Dicks Bar, Knight seems to be in the etched glass wall. Legend or leg end, that would be costly and hard to replace.

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
That's all he ever is and all he ever has been - a one-season wonder.

NOT deserving of a place on the wall.

disagreeing with you in one thread - totally agreeing with you in this.

the clue is in the name - LEGEND'S wall

Knight is definitely not a legend amongst the fans.

Players I believe should be there, from my time following the club (94 onwards) nb likely to have omissions :
D Wilkins
S Foster
Hart
Mayo
Zamora
Oatway
Cullip
Carpenter
Kuipers

I have issues with those still playing, here or elsewhere, being considered a legend (eg Murray) apart from exceptional circumstances like Zamora

gjh1971

May 7, 2007
I think that there are too many people from the Withdean years up as legends - Yes they were good but it seems to me not enough players from the Goldstone years.

Totally agree - people are also confusing the term legend, and calling players legends just because they have been at a club for years. Hart was average at best, has not scored a league goal for five seasons, and struggled to get anywhere near the squad for three seasons. Not a legend in my eyes. Gatting, Digweed and Ryan were at the club for just as long and dont get the same 'status' as the 'legend' that is Hart

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Totally agree - people are also confusing the term legend, and calling players legends just because they have been at a club for years. Hart was average at best, has not scored a league goal for five seasons, and struggled to get anywhere near the squad for three seasons. Not a legend in my eyes. Gatting, Digweed and Ryan were at the club for just as long and dont get the same 'status' as the 'legend' that is Hart

Ryan is on Dick's window (well, his image is), and he was with us for seven years - not 13.

Gatting is a sorely overlooked player in my opinion.

Digweed - 179 appearance in 12 seasons? Hmmm, nah.

You're right - 'legend' is an overused tag, and its definition is open to interpretation. However, Harty does tick so many boxes, I'd say he's earned his place.

Rambo

Don't Push me
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Worthing/Vietnam
Could someone please list the "Legends" that are currently there?

Completely from memory so bear with me if I miss any...

Gus Poyet
Kit Napier
Peter o Sullivan
Graham Moseley
Gerry Ryan
Peter Ward
Mark Lawrenson
Steve Foster
Gordon Smith
Robbie Renielt
Bobby Zamora
Paul Rogers
Charlie Oatway
Danny Cullip
Guy Butters
Leon Knight

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
Why is Hart considered a legend ? What did he do exactly to deserve such status bar stay at the club for a few years ? At least Leon Knight scored a winning goal in a Play Off final.

ultimate commitment from the dark days through to the renaissance of our club, Gary earned the enduring respect of the Albion faithful.
with every promotion he provied doubters wrong and delivered at a higher level.
one of the most gifted? no. but his career reflected back at us, the history of our club over this hugely important period.
signed for £1000k and a set of kit. to scoring the first goal at the Amex. he shared the journey.
LEGEND.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Completely from memory so bear with me if I miss any...

Gus Poyet
Kit Napier
Peter o Sullivan
Graham Moseley
Gerry Ryan
Peter Ward
Mark Lawrenson
Steve Foster
Gordon Smith
Robbie Renielt
Bobby Zamora
Paul Rogers
Charlie Oatway
Danny Cullip
Guy Butters
Leon Knight

Then it sounds like Brovion was spot on with his assessment that this is the Premier League syndrome all over again where we forget that football existed before the modern age.

Not to have Charlie "Mr Albion" Webb and Tommy Cook (for years, our only England cap) on there is utterly disgraceful. Where's Tug Wilson, the man who made most appearances for us? Where are Frankie Howard, Glen Wilson, Des Tennant, Johnny McNichol, Eric Gill, Brian Powney?

That's a really shoddy list - no disrespect to Messrs Cullip, Butters, Oatway and Rogers but their appearance is more about their current involvement with the club. Leon Knight had one good season with us - doesn't make him a legend. If that's the criterion, why not Mike Small? And I never understand the veneration for Reinelt, who was an average player who got lucky with a goal.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Not a popular 'Legend' from the beginning it seems...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here