Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Leon Knight in financial difficulties

Edward Scissorhands

Feb 20, 2005
Albion striker denies finance problems

by Jenny Legg

ALBION'S star player Leon Knight today insisted he was not in financial ruin after he was declared bankrupt.

Daimler Chrysler filed a successful petition against the 22-year-old striker over an unpaid £15,000 debt on a car.

Knight, who lives in Bracknell, Berks, insists the resulting bankruptcy order is due to a mistake over a change of address.

Under the terms of the order, the striker, who is thought to be one of Albion's highest-paid players and is known for splashing out on cars, jewellery and clothes, will be banned from using his bank.

The order, granted in March, also makes it illegal for him to use a credit card or to apply for credit of more than £500 without first disclosing the fact he is bankrupt.

Knight insisted he was confident the order would be reversed.

His spokesman said: "It's a situation that is not Leon's fault. He owed a certain amount of money. The letters had gone to his old address and his old agent and there was obviously a problem because they were not passed on.

"Unfortunately, by the time we found out and tried to get it cleared it had gone too far down the system. He will pay the full sum and it is going to get it annulled."

He said the striker was not in financial difficulties.

The official receiver at Reading now has responsibility for administering Knight's bankruptcy and protecting his assets.

He will have to provide information about his financial affairs, giving a list of assets and details of what he owes and to whom.

He will also have to give details of books, records, bank statements, insurance policies and other papers relating to his property and financial affairs.

Knight will also have to tell the receiver about assets and increases in income he gets during his bankruptcy, which will be discharged automatically on March 21 next year.

Since joining Albion on loan from Chelsea in July 2003, Knight has quickly become one of the most popular players in the club's recent history.

He was their top goalscorer last season, netting the play-off final penalty which earned The Seagulls promotion last season.

In an interview with The Argus after he joined the Albion, Knight, who grew up in Hackney, said: "I spend all my money on cars, clothes and jewellery. I've got a Range Rover on the way. I'm like a little kid, I like toys.

"When you've come from where I've come you don't have that sort of stuff.

"When you can afford to buy things you love it, you're like a little kid in a candy store. That is a good feeling."

Last edited:

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Referee! said:
The official receiver at Reading now has responsibility for administering Knight's bankruptcy and protecting his assets.

The lengths Coppell goes to just to get our players to Reading

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Not receiving statements is not an excuse for not paying debts - he knew he owed a large amount of cash, it doesn't just "go away" because you've moved address and not told them. Thats just head-in-the-sand syndrome. Thats his credit rating screwed then.

Silly lad.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Great day for the spokesman. He claims Leon Knight is not in financial difficulties. He's just been declared bankrupt. What would you call it?

It's not that Comical Ali fella, is it? 'The infidels are retreating...'

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Isn't this Leon Knight's business and his alone ? Anybody else care to discuss their financial situation on here ?

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
If Leon Knight had been taking care of business this wouldn't have happened.

It's clearly a story of human interest when a footballer who's earning (anyone with inside info? let's say comfortably six figures) can't pay the bills. And bills for extravagances at that. Everyone else manages. He's going to have to take it on the chin.

No one's interested in our financial situation.

Faldo

Jul 7, 2003
Saint Lennard said:
Maybe he should try selling a dummy or two?

He'd get a few quid for that chip on his shoulder...

Or his mate THE HOFF could put a few quid his way (cue hasslehoff / coleman picture that I can't find).

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
bhaexpress said:
Isn't this Leon Knight's business and his alone ? Anybody else care to discuss their financial situation on here ?

yes. i will.

i bought a mars bar today. and the times. and got my shirt printed and took 40 pounds out and also bought some minidiscs.

also got a pay rise of 30p!

anyone else?

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
Yeah the problem is, with the new laws, declaring yourself bankrupt doesn't actually present itself as financial difficulties these days. Before, you used to have to wait 7 years to be discharged from your previous debts, and be able to get credit again, including a mortgage. Now, you are likely be discharged within 12 months, and while you would lose everything you have now, it wouldn't necessarily take that long to build it back up again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here