Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

leon jeanne

albionant

Aug 29, 2007
March 1999 - QPR Official Site

JEANNE IS R'S SUCCESS STORY

LEON JEANNE’S recent elevation from the Academy into the first team has been one of the Rangers success stories of the season.

The 18 year old Welsh starlet made his debut as a substitute against Watford last month at Loftus Road and has started every game since then. He has bags of pace and skill, playing wide and behind the front two.

Leon’s latest appearance was at Bolton on Saturday. He was saddened by the 2-1 defeat for Rangers.

" We had some great chances early on, but we just couldn’t put them away," says Leon. "That was the difference between winning and losing the match.

"I was disappointed with my own game. It was a hard match and Bolton are a strong side, so we didn’t have the ball all the time. If I had got more of the ball, then I could have done more things. But it is all part of the learning process for me."

Nevertheless, Leon is making his mark in the Rangers team. And he’s determined to build on the good start he has made to his R’s career.

He says:" It was a dream come true for me to make my QPR debut. Now that I’m in there, I’ve got to stay there. Overall, I’ve been quite pleased with my form, although I felt I could have played better at Bolton.

"My game is floating around and running at defenders. I’ve been out on the wing, on the left and right, and in the hole behind the front two. I put other people in.

"I’m enjoying being part of the side. We have a great manager in Gerry Francis and we’ve just got to produce the goods for him. Gerry gave me my chance and I’m really pleased. He likes to encourage young players like myself and he’s been telling me to work on crosses and different things."

Leon’s next ambition is to score his first goal for Rangers. He’s been very close to finding the net on a number of occasions so far, although he unselfishly says that the welfare of the team is more important.

"Hopefully I’ll get my first goal against Swindon on Saturday! I’ll make sure I will. But I’m more concerned with three points for Rangers. I have a lot of faith in the lads here and I’m sure we can win the game and go on to climb the table."

With youngsters like Leon Jeanne, Richard Langley and Richard Graham doing so well for Rangers this season, the future of the club looks very bright indeed.

SussexHoop

Dec 7, 2003
If I remember correctly, Leon Jeanne was one of a group of young players signed by QPR and I believe given long contracts starting on £2000 a week. I think he may have only been 16 at the time, moved away from his family and friends and given a shit load of money. Lo and behold he starts getting into bother and things went very wrong for him. He returned to Cardiff and I think ended up in prison due to his involvement in drugs.

On the pitch, he was tremendous, very quick, running defences and midfielders ragged. Most had to resort to kicking him up in the air and he just got up and continued taking the piss.

I've no idea if the story about him training with you is true but if it is, I hope he has exorcised his demons, I hope he gets himself fit and puts his talent to good use. Seriously great potential - can't help feeling we should have done more to help him rather than leaving him to his own devices in London with a pile of cash.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Not a wind up me -thinks, if the Number9 on here is the same poster who has been working on a book with him over the last few months and posted his progress on the Cardiff forum.

To correct the above, I'm sure he wasn't actually found guilty of any offence, but his previous problems are very much on record.

.. but I'm intrigued.

I was one of the "lucky" ones who saw an overweight Darren Currie pre-season with Brighton and never believed he would get a professional contract anywhere. McGhee (in his defence:)) turned him around.

I'd imagine his lifestyle has taken it's toll though and he still has a lot to prove. He looks very overweight on that video.

However, I'm very much a fan of the "luxury" player with tricks up his sleeve.

He has played against us in the past.

Last edited:

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
This is by far the most intriguing/entertaining rumour so far.

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
Cracking wind-up or intriguing possibility. I like it. Makes a change from 'will we sign Michael Owen/Alan Smith/Diego Forlan' anyway...

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
you have to hope that this is true and that against all odds the story has a happy ending - unlikely perhaps but wouldn't it be good to have something uplifting to be associated with

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Lets hope he can still sniff.... out a good pass,

we could do with an injection.....of pace

roll up, roll up.....

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
What a strange story - would he go into the development squad? why don't we give Leon Knight another chance whilst we are at it

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
What a strange story - would he go into the development squad? why don't we give Leon Knight another chance whilst we are at it

But it's not like that though, is it? This guy didn't seem to have a bad attitude, more he got hooked on drugs. If he still has the talent that everyone has talked about then it is a very interesting prospect, and if anyone can get him up to scratch it is GP

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
30 yrs old - surely his ship has sailed - I know Poyet is a miracle worker but that is really ambitious

But it's not like that though, is it? This guy didn't seem to have a bad attitude, more he got hooked on drugs. If he still has the talent that everyone has talked about then it is a very interesting prospect, and if anyone can get him up to scratch it is GP

JetsetJimbo

Jun 13, 2011
If this is all true, good luck to him. It's a shame for such a promising career to be lost in this way, and it'd be nice if he could add a storming, promotion-winning season with us to his CV!

However, I do worry that Brighton might not be the best city for someone with a history of addiction issues to choose to live in. Temptation won't exactly be hard to come by.

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
[MENTION=12052]seagull_special[/MENTION]

30 yrs old - surely his ship has sailed - I know Poyet is a miracle worker but that is really ambitious

Don't get me wrong, normally I'd completely agree. And perhaps it is only the romantic side of me that thinks it's a good idea. But from reading the forums of other teams discussing what a huge talent he was at the time.. Does talent die? Genuine question, can a raw talent fade through the years? Would raw talent be enough for us? I don't know, it's very very interesting though..

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
It would be great and they have said some terrific things about him and if he were 5 yrs younger it could be viable but it doesn't make sense to sign a non-league player who's career has been dogged by abject failure and substance abuse. I am not saying he doesn't deserve a second chance but he would be better off starting in conference or league 2. whatever happens I wish him all the best.

[MENTION=12052]seagull_special[/MENTION]

Don't get me wrong, normally I'd completely agree. And perhaps it is only the romantic side of me that thinks it's a good idea. But from reading the forums of other teams discussing what a huge talent he was at the time.. Does talent die? Genuine question, can a raw talent fade through the years? Would raw talent be enough for us? I don't know, it's very very interesting though..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here