Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] *** Leicestershire v Sussex - penultimate CC game ***

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
This, plus the magnificent form of Tom Haines. Who was the last SCCC player to top the CC runs? Did Goodwin do it?

View attachment 140460
Absolutely. Amazing effort from Tom Haines.

He was an England U19 player, with predictable early struggles to make an impact in professional cricket, only a few seasons ago. In time we will hopefully have 4 or 5 home produced young players of his standard.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Gillespie looking to make his mark (he quickly seemed to change from Mr Approachable to ruthless, impulsive and willing to cut the club’s nose off to spite its face)
Wright had struggled for runs .

I'm not sure that Wright was struggling for runs. In his last CC season, he scored 740 runs at an average of 37 - not world-beating but scarcely struggling.

The other barmy decision he made was appointing Brown as captain rather than Nash. All that meant was that Nash, whose experience would have been handy, sloped off to Notts in high dudgeon. Nasher has only just retired but he's still only 38, he'd have been useful to have around this season.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

He was an England U19 player, with predictable early struggles to make an impact in professional cricket, only a few seasons ago. In time we will hopefully have 4 or 5 home produced young players of his standard.

1100 runs in 12 CC matches is a fabulous achievement, even without considering any context.

Once you factor in that he's only 22 years old, that he's been burdened with the captaincy for the latter part, and that he's had to build many of his innings with little or no support at the other end, given the fragility of the line ups - incredible.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021

A good lesson in the value of sticking with young talent.

The lesson applies to our bowling line up and young players coming into the Albion side

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Luke Wright is an easy one. He has a very dodgy back and couldn't play red ball for physical fitness reasons.

I don't think anyone sensible thinks "Oh it's fine".

I think it is really difficult and complicated for those trying to run the club. I respect Rob Andrew's CV as an accomplished sports executive and don't for one second think I've got solutions that he isn't considering.

Does Andrew have distinguished career though as an exec. Did well at Newcastle but was heavily criticised at the RFU

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
1100 runs in 12 CC matches is a fabulous achievement, even without considering any context.

Once you factor in that he's only 22 years old, that he's been burdened with the captaincy for the latter part, and that he's had to build many of his innings with little or no support at the other end, given the fragility of the line ups - incredible.

He’s done remarkably well in the circumstances and who knows how much bigger the hammerings would have been without his runs. Sadly, and very unfairly, the record books will show that he captained the side during this shambolic period of heavy defeats.

Brown deserves some credit too. Sooner or later the truth will come out, I hope, although the local journalists seem to have turned a blind eye to the mid season captaincy changes.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales

Joins Surrey in 3…..2……

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Or might be playing test cricket next summer, who knows.

We can't bank on him anchoring our batting all next year that's for sure

I'd much rather we lost him to England than Surrey. We do need an inquest at the end of this season that's for sure. According to Matt Prior money wasn't the reason Salt and Jordan left, and we know injury wasn't why Luke Wright didn't get a red ball contact ..... so what the ****'s going on?

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I'd much rather we lost him to England than Surrey. We do need an inquest at the end of this season that's for sure. According to Matt Prior money wasn't the reason Salt and Jordan left, and we know injury wasn't why Luke Wright didn't get a red ball contact ..... so what the ****'s going on?

Well ... it probably was money

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
It is easily the worst team by far that I can remember in the last 50 years.

They may very well be doing their best and are prospects for the future, but at present they are crap.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
It is easily the worst team by far that I can remember in the last 50 years.

They may very well be doing their best and are prospects for the future, but at present they are crap.

Two very poor bowling performances.

Whatever, we're a young side and a skint county trying to juggle a lot of financial headaches. Not saying they've got everything right but I'm going to get down and give them my support for the last game

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

Whatever, we're a young side and a skint county trying to juggle a lot of financial headaches. Not saying they've got everything right but I'm going to get down and give them my support for the last game

Fair play to you and I really hope we win.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Brown deserves some credit too. Sooner or later the truth will come out, I hope, although the local journalists seem to have turned a blind eye to the mid season captaincy changes.

Brown has an outside chance of a thousand runs too - although he'd have to score a daddy hundred to get it. He's done well after three ducks in his first three innings, one of them a shocking lbw.

That dismissal may have some relevance - the gossip I heard at the CG last week was that Brown was sacked because of Sussex's disciplinary issues, too many cases of dissent. I have no idea whether it's true or not, it sounds like a flimsy reason if it is.

I think Brown has been excellent in fact. He could easily have thrown his toys out of the pram when he lost his job but he's been amazingly supportive. What an example for the younger players.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Brown has an outside chance of a thousand runs too - although he'd have to score a daddy hundred to get it. He's done well after three ducks in his first three innings, one of them a shocking lbw.

That dismissal may have some relevance - the gossip I heard at the CG last week was that Brown was sacked because of Sussex's disciplinary issues, too many cases of dissent. I have no idea whether it's true or not, it sounds like a flimsy reason if it is.

I think Brown has been excellent in fact. He could easily have thrown his toys out of the pram when he lost his job but he's been amazingly supportive. What an example for the younger players.

Agree with all that.

Adrian Harmes commented on Sussex’s dreadful disciplinary record during ydays play, in particular when Haines was complaining about comments/movement by Mike.

Seems like Andrew and Salisbury can’t wait for this red ball season to end

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Yes. 2 innings for Brown to get 181 more runs. Hope he does it.

Shame he rather gave it away yesterday. A ground out 50 would have had him that bit closer, and been just the ticket!

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

That's fair enough, and I don't disagree with any of it.

However they are still the worst Sussex team I have ever seen, and I have seen plenty of shite in my time.

Its like watching a club side taking on the fully armed 1980s West Indies.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here