Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Leicester.Football's Greatest Achievement?

Pretty Plnk Fairy

NSC Patron
Jan 30, 2008
Us at Canvey Island in the FA cup. No details as OB could be watching but we were outnumbered at least 3 too 1 and still had victory in there manor. Those ITK still grin about it

Regards

DR

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
CPFC2010 getting promoted to the Prem when the club was only a year old...

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Celtic being the first British club to win the European cup. All their players were all local lads,

[Pedant alert]All the players were Scottish but one (Bobby Lennox) wasn't from Glasgow. But it's still an amazing achievement - one never to be repeated I expect

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
In 1966 England actually winning a major tournament, probably will never be repeated.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
You didn't really have rich football superpowers in those days from what I remember.Little ole Malmo even got to the European Cup Final whom Forest beat but yeah that's a good shout.
It's all relative though. Div 2 to European champions in 2 years when the European cup was for Champions not also rans.

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
If not then what was?

If Man U,Arsenal,City and Chelsea were up for it this season then I'd say it was without doubt the greatest achievement from what I've seen.I don't watch football worldwide.Even though these other teams have been very poor I'd still say it has to be the greatest achievement I've seen.

My top 3 is.
1/Leicester
2/Greece-Euro winners
3/Juve and Aresnal going unbeaten the whole season.

What's yours?

Leicester have been fantastic this season to head the league in front of the big four, this is their big chance as I feel they will not have all their stars next season,should we miss out on promotion then Leicester winning the Premiership would make up for it

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I would say Forest, but following Blackburn's Premier League win in 1995, I didn't think a 'small' team would win the title again (let us not forget Blackburn were massive spenders at the time). 2 decades of the title being shared between ManU, Arsenal, Chelsea and Man City - could anyone see past Liverpool or Spurs being an underdog side to challenge that monopoly?

That said, winning Div 2, following year win league title, following year win European Cup (runners up to title), then retain European Cup - is pretty hard to challenge. Different eras but still, it was a fairytale.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
[Pedant alert]All the players were Scottish but one (Bobby Lennox) wasn't from Glasgow. But it's still an amazing achievement - one never to be repeated I expect

He was born 30 miles away in Saltcoats. All the other 10 were born nearer to the ground. All pretty local I would say!

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
As far as sports betting goes, Leicester would be the first 5000/1 punt to ever come in.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
I would say Forest, but following Blackburn's Premier League win in 1995, I didn't think a 'small' team would win the title again (let us not forget Blackburn were massive spenders at the time). 2 decades of the title being shared between ManU, Arsenal, Chelsea and Man City - could anyone see past Liverpool or Spurs being an underdog side to challenge that monopoly?

That said, winning Div 2, following year win league title, following year win European Cup (runners up to title), then retain European Cup - is pretty hard to challenge. Different eras but still, it was a fairytale.

Blackburn were the epitome of the hoof merchants that year awful to watch yes they had a couple of decent wingers but the vast majority of their play was hoof to Shearer and Sutton.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Bent ref, stunning bicey kick from a player with broken ribs and a last minute penalty save from a World Heavyweight Champion boxer.

This game had everything.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here