Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Legal issues with pub music quiz

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Does anyone know if there are legal (copyright or performing right issues) associated with playing less than 30 seconds of a music track in public?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
You'll need a PPL / PRS licence for anything over 1 second clips

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
You'll need a PPL / PRS licence for anything over 1 second clips

Thats pretty clear. Thanks

What about capturing 30 seconds of music from an internet source?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Thats pretty clear. Thanks

What about capturing 30 seconds of music from an internet source?

I don't think it matters where you get it from, it's where you play it. In this case you're playing it in public so you'll need the licence.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
They ought to be able to guess the song in a second...

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
I don't think it matters where you get it from, it's where you play it. In this case you're playing it in public so you'll need the licence.

But surely you shouldn't go downloading full music tracks from the Internet for free, so does this not apply if you download 30seconds worth.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
What's the issue here?

Are you worried about someone questioning the source of some music?

There are two issues:

Firstly does one need a performing rights licence - thats already answered.

Secondly is the more thorny issue about downloading music for free, whether it be for a pub quiz of personal use.
Its obviously not 'OK' do do this for a full music track but do rules change if you download only a few seconds worth.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
downloading/copying from any source is inherently a breach of copyright (yes, even for personal use). you would be expected to use an orginal/authorised recording to be completely legal. there is a clause in copyright for small parts to be copied for journalism, research etc. im not sure if this covers music but i think it should do.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
downloading/copying from any source is inherently a breach of copyright (yes, even for personal use). you would be expected to use an orginal/authorised recording to be completely legal. there is a clause in copyright for small parts to be copied for journalism, research etc. im not sure if this covers music but i think it should do.

So how much of this applies to images that are copied and pasted on the Internet?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
yep. i bet you dont have licence or permission for that bike avatar. we all willfully break copyright, but its sort of accepted as the US has "fair use" and the UK law has the concept of the spirit of the law and no ones interested in chasing every transgression.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Isn't this like asking if it's OK to take a bite out of the apple from a barrow without pinching the whole apple?

Not really.

To take an extreme, you could download 1 note which would occur in a million tunes. Would they all be entitled to sue.

Now maybe 2 notes is OK or even 3 or 4.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here