Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Legal action against LDC

Ian Bairds Fist

Nov 26, 2003
Kingston-upon-Thames
Just a quick question, it was put to Insider a while ago but it received a 'politician's' answer. Maybe LB will be able to shed some light:

If we FINALLY get the go ahead for the stadium what are the next steps the Club's lawyers intend to take? The worst thing they can do is rest on their laurels and celebrate the decision. A case should be brought against LDC for loss of revenue/Club development, suffocation of local educational and economical growth and other consequences relating to the delay.

Obviously the Club will have their hands full in the immediate weeks and months after the decision, finalising deals and partnerships, but i'd hate to think LDC will not pay a penny in compensation.

:albion:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I would think that it is just a case of the Board asking their legal team for a view as to the chances of success and for them to then proceed.

Do not think that it will hinder the progress of funding, tendering etc of Falmer. Just more expenditure.

Ian Bairds Fist

Nov 26, 2003
Kingston-upon-Thames
True. Last thing we need is more expenditure.

But an example must be made of LDC who have totally disregarded their own constituants and the rest of Sussex for that matter!! A victory for the Club in a compensation case would make other councils think twice before they act. Even if the Lib Dems arent in power by the time the case is brought (and i dont think they will be) it should still be brought against those individuals on the Council Board at the time the decision was made.

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
I don't think there'd be a case. Yes, Lewes DC have wound us up something chronic, but I can't see how they've acted outside the law. If it could be proved that they'd dishonestly stated how they'd funded the legal action -- or something -- then that would be a way of getting them. But that would require collusion between elected members AND council officers, which is something that just never happens.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Leave it be, we got what we wanted (eventually) but that is the biggest issue resolved.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Ultimately, LDC is funded by its taxpaying constituents. Therefore, any Legal action launched by the Albion in the search for compensation would surely only excaberate the situation on those constituents by further draining the Councils coffers.

I say leave it. They've already spunked enough of their constituents cash on this legal battle. I'd not feel comfortable in the Albion recouperating that cash from LDC by those means, no matter how justified it may be from our point of view.

Last edited:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Easy 10 said:
Ultimately, LDC is funded by its taxpaying constituents. Therefore, any Legal action launched by the Albion in the search for compensation would surely only excaberate the situation on those constituents by further draining the Councils coffers.

I say leave it. They've already spunked enough of their constituents cash on this legal battle. I'd not feel comfortable in the Albion recouperating that cash from LDC by those means, no matter how justified it may be from our point of view.

Very true. If LDC had to pay out compensation then it would be us council tax payers who have had to fork out already who would suffer. :down:

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
It would be a double whammy for the good people of Lewes, a sort of...you elected that useless shower to waste your money, now you will be punished twice for the privelage. I think we should just leave it to the electorate to remove the current LDC from power, as is almost certain to happen anyway.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Yorkie said:
Very true. If LDC had to pay out compensation then it would be us council tax payers who have had to fork out already who would suffer. :down:

Could they not hold each individual councillor who backed the appeal responsible in the same way that directors used to be immune from limited company bankruptcies but can now be held responsible.

Last edited:

There's not a cat in hell's chance of winning a legal case against LDC. The Government and the Club signed the consent order approving the action of the High Court in setting aside Prescott's planning permission - on technical grounds relating to just one on LDC's objections.

But that's enough to ensure that we wouldn't have a case.

Easy 10 said:

They haven't spunked as much money as the club has defending itself against the actions of a handful of downright spiteful, snobbish NIMBYs. These people should be personally responsible for paying the club all of its legal costs and they should be made to pay for all of the club's lost revenues leaving them as broke and destitute as the Albion is at the moment because of their actions.

Ian Bairds Fist

Nov 26, 2003
Kingston-upon-Thames
Its great talking about the good people of Lewes and how they've already suffered but thats a fraction of what we've been through. This Club has ploughed millions over the years and lost some (sorry ALL) of our best players in the meantime to the 'Falmer Blackhole'.

The Lewes residents VOTED for their council. I'm sure there's plenty of Albion fans who live there and i feel sorry for them. But they must be held to account.

If, as others are saying, we dont have a leg to stand on, the individuals still have a case to answer spending MILLIONS from the coffers of the Lewes residents. Or would these same Lib Dem-voting residents fancy taking out their own lawsuit if they feel so strongly about it - asking why their hospitals, schools and pensioners have had such limited resources??

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
LDC have already won, whatever happens, in their eyes, the will have delayed the start of the Stadium building program by several years. There is nothing more that I would like than to make them pay for that (legally, of course) but common sense needs to prevail, as Lord B states, we can't win a legal case against them, so we will have to settle for eventually getting the go ahead, sad, but true :(

Last edited:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Ian Bairds Fist said:

The Lewes residents VOTED for their council. I'm sure there's plenty of Albion fans who live there and i feel sorry for them. But they must be held to account.

That's true, their election leaflets clearly stated,
1) improve housing.
2) improve recycling.
3)screw Albion fans.

I must have missed the small print.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Ian Bairds Fist said:
Its great talking about the good people of Lewes and how they've already suffered but thats a fraction of what we've been through. This Club has ploughed millions over the years and lost some (sorry ALL) of our best players in the meantime to the 'Falmer Blackhole'.

If, as others are saying, we dont have a leg to stand on, the individuals still have a case to answer spending MILLIONS from the coffers of the Lewes residents. Or would these same Lib Dem-voting residents fancy taking out their own lawsuit if they feel so strongly about it - asking why their hospitals, schools and pensioners have had such limited resources??

Perhaps you could say the same about every adult resident in England. They should be held to account for everything that Blair and his government have done in Iraq and not spent money on hospitals, schools and pensioners.
I didn't vote Lib Dem in the last council elections and I didn't vote Labour in the last general election either. (I usually vote on the individual candidate and their suitability for public office rather than their party politics)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here