Navarro
Sparrow - Vincelot
Buckley-------------LuaLua
Mackail-Smith

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
For reasons only known to Dalglish, Downing plays on the right wing. I think losing Painter is a bit of catastrophe as we have not got an obvious replacement. I would be tempted to include Taricco.

When is el-Abd due back ?

Noone and Navarro to start.

Ankergren
Calderon Greer Dunk Taricco
Buckley Navarro Dicker Bridcutt Noone
Barnes

subs: Brezovan, Lua lua, Vincelot, Sparrow, Harley, Hoskins, Mackail-Smith

Not by first choice team, but bearing in mind the opposition and current form. If Painter was not suspended, I might have suggested Lua Lua to start.

Last edited:

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Personally I don't think Noone or CMS will start v Liverpool. Possibly Hoskins and Barnes up front, and Buckley on the wing. Would also expect Vincelot to play.

darters74

Jun 9, 2011
All over the place
Cant see Hoskins starting personally. Injured all season bar 15 mins and then bring him back for a "nothing" game...........massive risk! Give him 25 mins at the end if he's fit.

seagullmouse

Jan 3, 2011
That is bollocks. Painter's positional sense makes up for a slight lack of pace.

Who would you say was a worse player from our normal starting XI then if not Painter? Gets exposed for pace a lot, just fact of life at this level.

Its a relative thing, not saying he is rubbish, just think he stands out as slightly worse in a good team.

Off the top of my head here is the order of 'goodness' of our players in my opinion (its all about opinion remember)

Starting with best at the top! I genuinely think Painter is the worst of a good bunch!

Bridcutt
Mackail-Smith
Greer
Dunk
Noone
Ankergren
Barnes
Calderon
Harley
Dicker
Painter

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
NSC Patron
Jan 7, 2006
Ben Sampoyo is a left-back, Redwood was a winger but has also played in defence recently. Think one of those may be on the bench for Weds night.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Ankergren
Calderon
Greer
Dunk
Vincelot
Bridcutt
Navarro
Buckley
Sparrow
Noone
Barnes

I think Painter's supsension is a blessing in disguise, he is the weak link in the side and Vincelot will be better at coping with Downing's movement. He won't stay wide on the right, or on the left, so we'll need to be fluid at the back to cope with him and I think Calderon and Vincelot will both be savvy enough to deal with him. I think Navarro is a must because of his positional awareness, Henderson is a tricky player who gets between the lines of midfield and the strikers so we'll need someone to plug the gaps and Navarro is that man. Bridcutt has to be in the team, he is imperative.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I think we have to leave it up to Gus. But I would like Lu lua to come on sometime during the match. He plays better if he is on from the start, but I cannot see it against Liverpool. Against Leeds, yes.

My intuition says that Painter is important.

If Bellamy plays we will have to play a bit deeper. I don't know whether this is good or bad? Bad I suspect? I think Bellamy will play, maybe instead of Downing?

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Who would you say was a worse player from our normal starting XI then if not Painter? Gets exposed for pace a lot, just fact of life at this level.

Its a relative thing, not saying he is rubbish, just think he stands out as slightly worse in a good team.

Off the top of my head here is the order of 'goodness' of our players in my opinion (its all about opinion remember)

Starting with best at the top! I genuinely think Painter is the worst of a good bunch!

Bridcutt
Mackail-Smith
Greer
Dunk
Noone
Ankergren
Barnes
Calderon
Harley
Dicker
Painter

The "worst player" label is in the context of a winning team and doesn't mean they are rubbish but as the standard improves then so must the team. Even Barcelona will have a "worst player" albeit they may be world class!

I'm fairly aligned to this list although I'd drop CMS down a few notches (he'll get back up for sure) and maybe switch Dicker and Harley. Although not played much I'd slot Buckley in somewhere and am also very hopeful that when Hoskins gets going he'll be up there.

The list is interesting though and maybe Everest or someone can aggregate all the player ratings by game and give us a running total - that would be interesting

As for Wednesday I think Gus is forced into changes given Friday - personally I'd try Vincelot at LB - if Downing does play Tanno won't get a look in I suspect

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
Painter is our worst player so this isn't the end of the world. Vinderloo is better

Bridcutt
Mackail-Smith
Greer
Dunk
Noone
Ankergren
Barnes
Calderon
Harley
Dicker
Painter

I'll concede then SM, I was just going on your first post. I now understand what you mean. It is still to early to judge how he is going to get on this season really. I did say that Sampayo played well at Lancing, but I think Liverpool would be a much sterner test than Forest Green Rovers though. lol.

mccraque

Feb 24, 2009
If Vincelot is not in midfield, I reckon he is nailed on to start at left back.

After all....he did used to ply his trade there...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here