Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Leeds....

Loadicus Trux

Jan 12, 2012
This "huge club," tag thing really does my head in!! Whoever it may be aimed at, but this lot really take the biscuit. The thing that makes it worse is the media are as bad as their fans!

Whatever you did in the past means absolutely **** all!!

It's eleven v eleven you don't get a ten point head start because you kicked your way to a couple of titles when God was a boy.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Sounds like Villa mark 2 to me.

Indeed - I wasted* 30 mins of my life on the Villa forum last week, and one of the threats centred around their bafflement at how fans of other teams don't seem to like Villa. They could understand the antipathy of Wolves, West Brom and Birmingham City fans, but beyond that, they were at a loss.

*actually, it was quite entertaining!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Dominic Matteo has just been on the radio announcing that "the Premier League has really missed Leeds United"

....really ? ???

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I think the best comparison is Newcastle.
Similarly sized clubs with decent tradition and have both competed in the Champions league.
Both came back to the premier league as champions and with highly respected managers leading them.

After 3 seasons Newcastle have managed to hit a level of lower half safety.
This was after just 1 season in the championship with a premier league squad and budget.

Leeds have not got the financial clout to bring their squad up to the same level that Newcastle came up with.
The idea that they are poised for an imminent return to greatness is ridiculous.

They could get lucky and have a Sheff Utd type season.
But that is no guarantee of the season upon season progress necessary to get into Champions League contention.

Their chairman has referenced our model as one they should follow.
i.e. maintain Prem status and lok to gradually build.
He clearly doesn't have the cash to match the fans' expectations.

I'm sure there are a few Leeds fans who get it and are sensible, but the noise from the deluded is drowning them out.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Dominic Matteo has just been on the radio announcing that "the Premier League has really missed Leeds United"

....really ? ???

To be fair he is only saying what most pundits and commentators say/think. They would love teams like Forest and Wednesday in the Premier league at the expense of clubs like us and Burnley etc. It's great for the Premier league image and they are traditionally big clubs.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda

....really ? ???

I would say so, going to be some big games next year when they play United and Chelsea.

Plenty of bitter people in here. They are a big club as much as I dislike them, the PL is better with them in it

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Without doubt the best fans witnessed at The Amex. Leeds are truly a huge club, huge following but they have a huge ego. They may do well in The Premier league but more likely reality will hit home and they will be down to our level as fellow strugglers. We shall see but I think they will need to recruit heavily to even survive but even that may not stop them having a Villa type of introduction.
They were quiet the last couple of times they visited as we beat them comfortably. Before that though, I'd agree, very enthusiastic and loud. I enjoyed the atmosphere for those games.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I would say so, going to be some big games next year when they play United and Chelsea.

Plenty of bitter people in here. They are a big club as much as I dislike them, the PL is better with them in it
Only better if you are sucked into the history and that they may have more fans. I am not bitter about them but I couldn't care less whether they are in the premier League or not. They will just be another also ran in this dire league unless taken over by oligarchs or the Arabs.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

Personally speaking I have no issue with Leeds as a club, lots of tradition, legendary players etc.

It’s just their toxic fans.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
How the **** are Sky going to work out which Championship games to televise next season?

They've cancelled all plans to show any Championship games and will screen all of Leeds under 23s matches instead, obvs.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
My favourite comment of the day has to go to Howard Wilkinson on Leeds getting promotion "It means more to the Premier League than maybe it does to Leeds," Wilkinson told BBC Sport.

"They'll bring a lot to the party, if they do well. They'll add to the attraction of that league, which is now a worldwide league in terms of spectators."

Its ok Leeds are here, the Premier League can finally become a success!

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
Would love to see them get relegated after all this ridiculous hype, even more so than Villa.

They are not going to be the Leeds of all, no ‘glorious’ battles between them and the big clubs. They will just be another relegation battling side who’s fans will act like self entitled ***** wherever they go.

Must’ve been great for all their plastics down here while we were living in up in the PL for 3 seasons.

Now they, and the media, think they are just going to come in and ‘shake things up a bit’.

No matter how big a club may be, none deserve the massive wankfest that they are getting.

**** em.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
My favourite comment of the day has to go to Howard Wilkinson on Leeds getting promotion "It means more to the Premier League than maybe it does to Leeds," Wilkinson told BBC Sport.

"They'll bring a lot to the party, if they do well. They'll add to the attraction of that league, which is now a worldwide league in terms of spectators."

Its ok Leeds are here, the Premier League can finally become a success!

Next season they are going to have to play 3 games every weekend just so Sky and BT can get their schedule in.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
To be fair he is only saying what most pundits and commentators say/think. They would love teams like Forest and Wednesday in the Premier league at the expense of clubs like us and Burnley etc. It's great for the Premier league image and they are traditionally big clubs.

I'd barely given them a second thought tbh. The PL is no better or worse without them, any more than it was / is without the likes of Sheff Weds or Villa. The media seems to have a permanent hard-on for them for some reason, but I think most neutral fans look on with indifference at LUFC, or a detached amusement.

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
Being of a certain age I grew up with the "great" Leeds side.

Without mass media coverage we knew little about the fans of Leeds but certainly knew about their style of play and their manager. They really were "Dirty Leeds" , take a look at the FA Cup Final and replay vs Chelsea - it is thuggery (also Chelsea joined in !)

At the time it felt like they were the Man City of today's times - winning everything. But records show they actually won little during this time.

They do enjoy big support though , home and away.

theboybilly

Being of a certain age I grew up with the "great" Leeds side.

Without mass media coverage we knew little about the fans of Leeds but certainly knew about their style of play and their manager. They really were "Dirty Leeds" , take a look at the FA Cup Final and replay vs Chelsea - it is thuggery (also Chelsea joined in !)

At the time it felt like they were the Man City of today's times - winning everything. But records show they actually won little during this time.

They do enjoy big support though , home and away.

Of a similar age here I too remember Leeds in the 60s. Always the bridesmaid. It took Liverpool and United to go through transitional periods or slumps for Leeds to get to the top table. But it is most certainly true that, for all the hype, they didn't sweep all before them. As for the European Cup Final they didn't win - they weren't robbed - nothing is ever mentioned about the two career-ending injuries Bayern suffered in that matchdue to LU thuggery. Leeds got what they deserved that day.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here