Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

leeds in deep shite

brighton rock

Jul 5, 2003
lancing
Everton 4-0 Leeds Utd
Steve Watson's treble piled on the agony for Leeds United as Everton ran riot at Goodison Park.

Everton made Leeds pay the price for woeful defending to deliver a thrashing that could have been even more emphatic for Peter Reid's strugglers.

Scotland youngster James McFadden delivered an electrifying performance for Everton, who were three up before the interval as Watson struck twice and Duncan Ferguson added another.

Watson completed a hat-trick shortly after the interval - and Leeds were left to conduct a desperate exercise in damage limitation until they were put out of their misery by the final whistle.

It is crisis time for Reid after Leeds' second successive four-goal beating on their Premiership travels, sandwiched by a home defeat against Birmingham.

But Everton turned in their best display of the season to delight manager David Moyes.

Everton relegated Wayne Rooney to the substitutes' bench, with Ferguson making his first league start of the season and new signing McFadden being handed his full debut.

And McFadden set Goodison alight in the first half as Everton tore a miserable Leeds defence to shreds.

KEY MOMENTS
26 mins: Watson puts Everton ahead
37 mins: Watson adds Everton's second
39 mins: Ferguson adds Everton
52 mins: Watson completes his hat-trick for Everton's fourth

Ferguson was also a central figure, giving Brazil World Cup winner Roque Junior another torrid Premiership afternoon.

Everton dominated from the start and the only surprise was that it took 26 minutes before they took the lead.

Tomasz Radzinski harrassed Roque Junior into an awful error and the ball fell for Watson to exchange passes with Ferguson before lashing home a powerful finish.

Everton were threatening every time they attacked and they doubled their advantage eight minutes before the interval.

McFadden, who was having a scintillating first half, sent Radzinski away again.

And even though Paul Robinson raced from his area to kick clear he only found Watson, who lobbed into an empty net from 35 yards.

Can you imagine a free-flowing Arsenal team against this Leeds side? I think the record books might change!

From Amish Patel
Have your say on 606

Leeds were in total disarray and Everton added a deserved third two minutes later.

Tony Hibbert's cross found Ferguson unmarked and he powered a header past the exposed Robinson from six yards.

Reid's response was to haul off Seth Johnson, Jermaine Pennant and Lamine Sakho, replacing them with Michael Bridges, Salomon Olembe and Aaron Lennon.

It made no difference and Everton were soon on the attack again, Watson completing his hat-trick after 52 minutes.

McFadden released David Unsworth, whose cross flicked off Roque Junior's head before reaching Watson at the far post, who lobbed home.

Former Leeds keeper Nigel Martyn was virtually unemployed, but he was finally in action in the 54th minute, saving well from Mark Viduka.

McFadden continued to impress, and he was replaced shortly before the final whistle to a deserved standing ovation.

_39389664_watson_goal_pa300x200.jpg

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
In a word

Good :p

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
I think Leeds are seeing the Peter Reid that mismanaged Sunderland to the relegation zone of the premiership with such inspired signings as Tore-Andre Flo for £6 million, not the Reid who got them to finish 7th a few seasons previously

Lucas Radebe is the answer to their problems;)
i remember when "our" Mark Beeney got sent off against Man Utd and Radebe had to go in goal, he did alright, they only lost 1-0 to a late Roy Keane goal. The post match Fergie interview was the one that caused Keegan to say "I'll love it if we beat them, love it".

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Brilliant result for me as Steve Watson is in my Fantasy Football team.

Coupled with a Van Nistelrooy hat-trick could be a surge up the table.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
How many chances does Anelka need to score after today ?

Bad day at the office for him

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
The Clown of Pevensey Bay said:
Micky Adams will be Leeds manager by the end of this season. Remember where you heard it first.

Give ot two more defeats and one P45 winging it's way to Peter Reids desk.

MA wouldn't be a bad choice actually.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Trigger said:
In a word... Good

I hate Leeds more than any other club!

Even Palace ?

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Got nothing against Leeds, although they could be back in Div One by the end of the season. If my memory serves we played them in an end of season game at the Soldstone sometime around 1988 when they were last in the old Second Division. They were already promoted back to the top flite, brought a shed load of fans down, and we possibly beat them, or maybe we didn't. Anyone remember?

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
I didn't know who to cheer when they met in the FA Cup last year! It's so hard when the 2 clubs u hate the most collide!!!

brighton rock

Jul 5, 2003
lancing
Trigger said:
I didn't know who to cheer when they met in the FA Cup last year! It's so hard when the 2 clubs u hate the most collide!!!

not saying i'm still sore,but that ball was in!:angry:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I remember my psychiaratrist once delving into my mind with some word association

He said " Dirty"

I said "Leeds":eek:

GUNTER

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton
I backed Leeds to go down to the tune of £20 after they got thumped by Leicester. You cant sell all that talent and get away with it!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here