Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Leeds being asset stripped?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Small town in Elland...etc

Seriously though, there was a lot of sh1t thrown at Ridsdale for spending huge sums of money that Leeds did not have, but at the time, Leeds were heading for a European Champions league final....et cetc. Leeds fans were baying for success and better players...they came along...got Leeds relegated the year or two later and now they are up shit creek.

Same happened with Huddersfield when they were 10 points clear in Div 1 at Christmas going into the premiershite...Ruberry bought big and bankrupted the club.

Its a fine line between buying to appease the crowd and the manager and holding on to what you have and getting stick for it...a la Dick Knight

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
What is it with Yorkshire clubs that they manage to get in so much trouble. With the exception of Middlesborough who don't really count I can't think of one club that hasn't been in dire trouble in the past five years.
Sheff Wed
Sheff Utd
Leeds
Barnsley
Bradford
York
Doncaster
Huddersfield
Hull

Not a healthy list is it?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
its cos all the pits have closed down....and the Steel Mills....and everything.

MARGARET f***ing THATCHER

3gulls

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
dave the gaffer said:
its cos all the pits have closed down....and the Steel Mills....and everything.

MARGARET f***ing THATCHER

So, you agree that we have something to thank the great lady for? :lolol:

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
dave the gaffer said:
Small town in Elland...etc

Small Town in Beeston!

And on a brighter note Leeds fans just may have something to smile about in a big way by this time next week.

3gulls

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
Starry said:
Small Town in Beeston!

And on a brighter note Leeds fans just may have something to smile about in a big way by this time next week.

Oh, i do hope not! :lolol:

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
That's kinda like me saying I hope you never get Falmer, but to each their own.

:lolol:

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
But you'd be very welcome too if you ever felt the need. They are very pro-falmer ;)

Last edited:

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
Voroshilov said:
It's worse than I thought

O'ill tark noice arnd sloooooowly for you then.

:lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

Starry, thanks for the update.

Like most of my posts, it has now been corrected!

:lolol:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Is this takeover by Sainsbury still likely to happen. Don't worry about the Huddersfield terrier above. He's still too busy falling out with the Bantams to get his geography right. :lolol:

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
>>Is this takeover by Sainsbury still likely to happen<<

Unlikely at this stage. His backers (not him) have pulled some of the funding (this afternoon) because of the due dilligence. He is mightly peed off this evening. Not sure what his next step wil lbe. He does have another source of funds, but I am thinking he might walk away.

Direct quotes from him -

“Upon completion of due diligence by our potential funders, the true scale of Leeds United’s debt and liabilities became clear. It was obviously more than we, they, and many others, had envisaged.

“I am very depressed and sad at what is happening, and sick to my stomach of all this.

“However we never had all our eggs in one basket, and we do have a possible contingency plan.

“Over the next 24 hours we shall be considering our options, but I now have a real affection for this football club and I still hope there is a way of saving Leeds United. I also want to make it clear that it has always been a case of Leeds or nothing for me, I will not be bidding for any other club.

"There is no way I want to see this club go into administration, and should that happen I will not try to rescue it."

---

Not sure what will happen so far as Seb goes. I believe he has the best interests of Leeds Utd at heart but you can't/wouldn't buy something that a) someone won't sell and b) has no future no matter what (not being able to get he ground/training complex back etc)

There is however another interested party, but he has baulked at the final hurdle numerous times in the past. He is a big time Leeds fan but whether he has the guts to see it through I am unconvinced.

Long answer to your question when I could have just said - no, looks unlikely.

PS - for those who wished admin (actually a winding up order) futher up this thread and in the other strong whisperings from Walker Morris (club solicitors) is that a week Monday will be d-day.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Voroshilov said:
What is it with Yorkshire clubs that they manage to get in so much trouble. With the exception of Middlesborough who don't really count I can't think of one club that hasn't been in dire trouble in the past five years.
Sheff Wed
Sheff Utd
Leeds
Barnsley
Bradford
York
Doncaster
Huddersfield
Hull

Not a healthy list is it?

Thats just the problem maybe: too many clubs in a smallish area. when footbal was cheaper they could thrive on high gates, but now there aren't the numbers.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
beorhthelm said:
Thats just the problem maybe: too many clubs in a smallish area. when footbal was cheaper they could thrive on high gates, but now there aren't the numbers.

Very true. Most of those clubs are within a 25 mile radius of Huddersfield and that's not including those over the tops (Oldham, Rochdale, the two Manchester clubs etc)

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
Yorkie said:
Very true.

Surely not true Yorkie? Almost all of the clubs mentioned, with the exception of York, are capable of drawing decent crowds by the standards of the divisions they're in. The problem as I see it (admittedly from a distance) is that several of those clubs tried punching above their financial weight (thinking of Leeds, Bradford, Barnsley and Huddersfield in particular) and are still paying the penalties.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
By true I meant the number of clubs in a small area. It is also true that their gates are falling.

That is likely to be due to the fact that some of them are now playing lower league football than they were 5 years ago.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Roger Mellie said:
Beeb says sainsburys have now pulled out - what next?

Could it be the administration route or have they already done that? They are in deep deep shit but I expect them to pull out of their financial troubles despite not having their own ground.

I'm not a Leeds fan at all-in fact they rate very high in my all time list of teams I love to see lose but I don't want to see them go out of business. Bottom division for a year or two would be fine but if they go tits up the likes of the Albion have no hope of survival.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here