Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Lee Carsley - The National Anthem.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
Actually I don’t, it’s a shit song. I was pointing out the constant errors in the utter trash you had posted.
Well, you were right that I accidently wrote "God" instead of "King" at one place, and maybe there are more national anthems that change when the king or queen dies (not the Swedish though, despite you writing it in big letters).

Thank you for pointing it out :)

Seagull

Yes I eat anything
Feb 28, 2009
On the wing
Hopefully the players will join Carsley and stop singing this terrible out of date anthem. I decided after the Queen, never to sing it again. We need something better, and radical constitutional change (but don’t hold your breath!)

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
Hopefully the players will join Carsley and stop singing this terrible out of date anthem. I decided after the Queen, never to sing it again. We need something better, and radical constitutional change (but don’t hold your breath!)
Deffo.

I think the Beeb should host a vote. Like the old ‘Song for Europe’ Eurovision thing.

Maybe.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
This is pretentious shite, and I have no idea why people have liked the comment. Blinded by bullshit. Flummoxed by flimflam.

What?

The song is about God saving the King or Queen. It is asking for divine intervention to protect the monarch. It’s really as simple as that. The song isn’t about saving “the God”, whatever that means. It’s in the bloody title…

This is flat-out completely false. Norway’s national anthem “Kongesangen” changes in an identical manner to the England’s anthem, depending on the gender of the monarch.

Denmark has two anthems, one for the nation and one for the monarch. The monarch anthem actually references the monarch by name. “Kong Christian stod ven højen mast”.

Then there’s Japan, Spain, Thailand, Belgium, Lichtenstein, Malaysia, Saudi Arabia oh and f***ing…

SWEDEN.

You know, the country where you live?

Jesus.

What on earth does this faux-intellectual word salad mean?! The vast majority of anthems are vague and non-specific to the geography of the nation. Most modern national anthems date from the 19th-20th centuries, where entire countries have changed immeasurably. Others are taken from moments in history, such as The Star Spangled Banner documenting the bombardment of Fort McHenry.

Of course the song is about connecting the monarch and God. :facepalm: you’re not making some amazing discovery. The monarch is the head of the Church of England, the national religion. I appreciate English history is not your strong point, much as Swedish history isn’t mine. The difference being I don’t post bollocks about Swedish history to a bunch of Swedes who know I’m talking shit.

Holy idiocy, Batman!

The national anthem is asking God to grant divine intervention on behalf of the monarch. Nowhere in the lyrics doeTs it mention immortality, eternal life or any of the other stuff you just made up. “Long to reign over us”, not “forever to reign over us”.

Why in the ever-loving f*** would the English national anthem be about Scottish hills? You do realise they have their own anthem?
Top quality ranting there, v enjoyable, thank you. For some reason I find it comforting when someone absolutely blows their gasket over really nothing much at all. I hope you've shat it all out now and cleared your tubes!

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I believe the daily mail have posted an article about how shocking his decision not to sing the national anthem is.

Apparently to then it is far worse than deciding not to pay one's taxes.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Well, you were right that I accidently wrote "God" instead of "King" at one place, and maybe there are more national anthems that change when the king or queen dies (not the Swedish though, despite you writing it in big letters).

Thank you for pointing it out :)
Pretty big error for them to have made there. Everybody knows the Swedish anthem doesn't change depending on the monarch.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
This is pretentious shite, and I have no idea why people have liked the comment. Blinded by bullshit. Flummoxed by flimflam.

What?

The song is about God saving the King or Queen. It is asking for divine intervention to protect the monarch. It’s really as simple as that. The song isn’t about saving “the God”, whatever that means. It’s in the bloody title…

This is flat-out completely false. Norway’s national anthem “Kongesangen” changes in an identical manner to the England’s anthem, depending on the gender of the monarch.

Denmark has two anthems, one for the nation and one for the monarch. The monarch anthem actually references the monarch by name. “Kong Christian stod ven højen mast”.

Then there’s Japan, Spain, Thailand, Belgium, Lichtenstein, Malaysia, Saudi Arabia oh and f***ing…

SWEDEN.

You know, the country where you live?

Jesus.

What on earth does this faux-intellectual word salad mean?! The vast majority of anthems are vague and non-specific to the geography of the nation. Most modern national anthems date from the 19th-20th centuries, where entire countries have changed immeasurably. Others are taken from moments in history, such as The Star Spangled Banner documenting the bombardment of Fort McHenry.

Of course the song is about connecting the monarch and God. :facepalm: you’re not making some amazing discovery. The monarch is the head of the Church of England, the national religion. I appreciate English history is not your strong point, much as Swedish history isn’t mine. The difference being I don’t post bollocks about Swedish history to a bunch of Swedes who know I’m talking shit.

Holy idiocy, Batman!

The national anthem is asking God to grant divine intervention on behalf of the monarch. Nowhere in the lyrics does it mention immortality, eternal life or any of the other stuff you just made up. “Long to reign over us”, not “forever to reign over us”.

Why in the ever-loving f*** would the English national anthem be about Scottish hills? You do realise they have their own anthem?
I think you have taken @Han Solo 's post a tad too seriously.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here