Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Least Favourite Withdean Moment

Kenhead

Oct 1, 2003
Brighton
I'm really suprised that not even in the Argus pull-out yesterday that the Stockport game in 2003 wasn't mentioned. It was inbetween when Coppell had gone to Reading and before McGhee got the job.
Unless my memory is cheating me but looking back i have always though as that being amongst one of the 10 dire matches at Withdean.

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
As before, 1-0. I didn't dislike that game. I was quite pleased for Walsall and you could see how much it meant to them when they all collapsed at the final whistle. They played that brilliantly and thoroughly deserved the win. Early signs that Micky was not up to the job. It was a new experience and quite interesting to watch. Richard got an inordinate amount of abuse, but he did little wrong. The MA masterplan was to put balls into the box with 8 men behind the ball and two giant centre backs. Four days later we beat Man City, which was strange.
My abiding memory was Clayton Ince gobbling up each and every one of Richards' crosses - they somehow became progressively less threatening as the afternoon wore on. I do also remember him giving a bit back to the south stand that day, in response to the abuse he was getting.

northstandnorth

THE GOLDSTONE
Oct 13, 2003
A272 at 85 mph
toss up for me between Rochdale and the friday night rain or some god awful midweek MA(second coming)game and seeing us taking a free kick in their half towards a steaming mass of about 20 players lurking at the edge of the box,final proof for me that an Albion legend had no f***ing idea of tactics and that they should never go back

Brighton M

Banned
Sep 22, 2006
Lancing
The spell Wilkins - while the previous season under McGhee was poor, it was sort of inevitable, and we were playing good sides.

The following season was dire though after McGhee was sacked, youth team players and uninspiring football meant crowds dropped under 5000 at times. The club was struggling financially, but it was hard for supporters to justify £25 on watching Rents/Gatting/Robinson/Fraser (although there were some highlights over the 2 seasons e.g. winning 8-0 in the cup!). Only Savage's entertainment and Forster's quality made it bearable, although to finish 7th the following year with that squad was a super effort, certainly in the last couple of months of that season when we picked up momentum.

Stand out moments? The first 119 minutes of the Swindon Play Off game. Being 3-0 down to Wigan after 10 minutes/2-0 down to leicester after 5 (in a 'must win game). Colin Hawkins in that Stockport 4-2 game was laughable I suppose, but it's definitely that game against Walsall that seems to be the clear winner. Absolute shambles.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Losing to Southend around Christmas one year in the pissing rain on a shocking pitch which should never have been played on.

We would say that of course as we lost. But that has to be up there.

McAnuff, Prosser, Crewe, Stoke, all the ones that have already been mentioned too.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I was going to mention that Southend game-still we went on to laser level & sand drain the pitch that summer at a cost of about £100k to finally give us a proper field to play on.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
The game against Sheffield United with Phil Prosser sticks out for me
this , plus a 2-1 defeat to Preston 2002/2003 season and a 3-2 defeat to Port Vale are up there

the 3-2 defeat to the pikeys and the 5-1 defeat to Sjoke are the ones that destroyed me mind. especially as the latter meant we finished rock bottom of Division one

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Probably not really the worst, but a 4-3 defeat to Rochdale (I think) on a Friday night in our first season springs to mind. Very cold and wet, lots of missed chances, lost it late on - if you'd said then there were 11 more years to go a lot of people might have walked straight out!

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
virtually any game involving adams the second time around - losing 4-1 to nigel adkins scunthorpe, that shambles of a walsall game and the massively hungover enjoyment of losing to colchester on boxing day when hinshelwood decided to score what is arguably one of the most stupid own goals ever

and as somebody else said, the entire 06/07 season when it cost £25 to watch the likes of fraser, gatting, rents, alastair john and sam williams lose to team after shit team

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Sat staring into the distance, completely despondent, having just seen us go 4-0 down at home to Crewe (08/09). We were down to 10 men through no fault of our own, we had no manager, and I'd all but given up any hope of surviving the drop.
For me that was one of those times when you had to credit the opposition. Crewe played some brilliant passing football that day and fully deserved it. So our in-eptness was tempered by admiration for them - they showed us how to play football. One of the best away performances ever witnessed at Withdean?

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
The game against Sheffield United with Phil Prosser sticks out for me
Obviously right up there in 'the cheated by the officials' stakes with the Bournemouth game from this season. I headed back to London after the match, still seething at those two ridiculous late penalties, and later headed to Covent Garden for beers with some mates - as I was walking to the pub, I bumped into Bobby Z no less, out for a drink with his girlfriend. He was remarkably restrained (compared to me!) in his assessment of Prosser's performance.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
For me that was one of those times when you had to credit the opposition. Crewe played some brilliant passing football that day and fully deserved it. So our in-eptness was tempered by admiration for them - they showed us how to play football. One of the best away performances ever witnessed at Withdean?

I think they were relegated that season!

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Yeah, I think you're right! They were great that day, tho.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here