Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Learning a foreign language in the comfort of your own home.

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
Can anyone on NSC recommend an online course that will help me to learn very basic Italian ?
My girlfriend and I are going on holiday to Sicily next June, and I want to be able to master the basics.
Me attempting to communicate in Italian will probably be a humiliating experience, but I’m up for it.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I am flirting with duolingo (spanish) and realise I need to have proper one to one lessons. I can google various teachers in my area but how do you pick one? Everyone of course says they have a special approach and are the best! Would appreciate your thoughts as a language teacher. Thanks

Do any of them mention qualifications and experience? Do they give any details on the method? Any testimonials from past students? Do they have social media presence?

Would you consider online classes? That way you've got an almost unlimited pool to choose from.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
One of the biggest things IMO is learning all of the noise surrounding the important parts of a conversation. The "Sort of like", "ya know", "yeahhh anyway". Those bits make up so much of regular conversation and your brain taking time to process them means you miss what's actually being said.

Filter out the noise. Understand the context of the conversation and it's MUCH easier to learn.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
One of the biggest things IMO is learning all of the noise surrounding the important parts of a conversation. The "Sort of like", "ya know", "yeahhh anyway". Those bits make up so much of regular conversation and your brain taking time to process them means you miss what's actually being said.

Filter out the noise. Understand the context of the conversation and it's MUCH easier to learn.

Good advice. Also worth learning these phrases to sound more natural.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington

My eldest sister learnt French as an adult (well, she'd done it to at least GCSE, maybe A-level, but there was then a decent break before she started learning again through evening classes etc.)

From what she's told me, apart from all the learning to listen properly and how people actually speak in normal conversation and all that, at some point you have to accept that you'll have to start talking in front of people and might make an absolute tit of yourself. :lolol:

I reckon at least 75% of the responses I get when I try and speak French to people are "pardon?"

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
My eldest sister learnt French as an adult (well, she'd done it to at least GCSE, maybe A-level, but there was then a decent break before she started learning again through evening classes etc.)

From what she's told me, apart from all the learning to listen properly and how people actually speak in normal conversation and all that, at some point you have to accept that you'll have to start talking in front of people and might make an absolute tit of yourself. :lolol:

I reckon at least 75% of the responses I get when I try and speak French to people are "pardon?"

Another great tip is to learn how to say "I don't know how to say it in French/Spanish etc" or "what's it called in French?". Then say the english word. slowly. Depending on where you are obviously it'll be met with a much friendlier response.

Learn how to describe things too so you can describe the thing that you don't know how to say.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here