algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Cheers lads.

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
Stevenage are a small club and most people in that town probably support the London clubs! Torquay are also a small club who only get 2500 at home and its a long trip with silly ticket prices-theyre still taking 6000+ ffs! cor just count ourselves lucky we have such AMAZING support and take THOUSANDS everywhere???

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
St. Mary's

Crowd expected to be in the region of 10,000. In a 76,000 capacity stadium. Why doesn't the FA/FL have a number of venues in mind and then choose the best one with the two clubs in mind? Surely it can't be that hard to organise? Ok, you're never going to get a stadium that ticks all the boxes in terms of location, size etc but surely a better option would have been Ashton Gate or St Mary's?

Agree. St. Mary's or Falmer next year ?

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
I see your point, but don't forget that part of the appeal and draw of the playoffs is that one element of the prize is a trip to a top stadium. If you were a Stevenage fan, got into the final and ended up with a trip to St Mary's, you'd be pissed off. Old Trafford probably is 2nd to Wembley (or I spose you could throw the Millennium in there as well) as a glamour day out.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
. Old Trafford probably is 2nd to Wembley (or I spose you could throw the Millennium in there as well) as a glamour day out.

I think that fans are more fickle, they've been dumped out of Wembley by FA/FL/UEFA greed for a trip up north to a club ground, when ordinarily if it wasn't for the greed of the football authorities [sic] would have been staged at Wembley. Mil Stad was an excellent alternative, and one that everyone understood the need for, and IMO is a better venue than Wembley.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
I think that fans are more fickle, they've been dumped out of Wembley by FA/FL/UEFA greed for a trip up north to a club ground, when ordinarily if it wasn't for the greed of the football authorities [sic] would have been staged at Wembley. Mil Stad was an excellent alternative, and one that everyone understood the need for, and IMO is a better venue than Wembley.

To be honest I can't understand why they aren't using the Millennium and agree that it beats Wembley hands down in pretty much every way (unless you are at the back of the bottom tier). I also agree that people do feel cheated out of a trip to Wembley, and there was no excuse for shifting the playoff finals out. But I'm not sure the football league could win - if they'd chosen a mediocre venue they would have been accused of disrespecting the lower league clubs so they've chosen the next best stadium. I hate Man United but after Wembley OT is the biggest, most storied and probably most impressive stadium in England - I remember saying earlier in the year that I'd be well up for an Albion playoff appearance there (luckily not needed!).

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The League two play off is hardly likely to attract a large sell out crowd so somewhere like Villa Park in the middle of the country would be more than adequate.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
The League two play off is hardly likely to attract a large sell out crowd so somewhere like Villa Park in the middle of the country would be more than adequate.

Yes but part of the excitement of the playoffs has always been the day out when you get to the final. I certainly went way more mental when we beat Swindon to book a day out in Cardiff than I did when we won on the day. You can't replace Wembley (or maybe Cardiff), but at least the FL have done as best as they can with OT.

Devon Seagull

Sep 25, 2004
South Devon
It a great day out for these small teams fans..and that what it should be about. Watching your team play at Old Trafford may be a once in a lifetime opportunity. I have loads of friends who have gone up today with all their families to watch Torquay. Also someone was knocking the support, if torquay have taken 6,000 that is 10% of the population of Torquay..not bad IMHO

Southwick_Seagull

Oct 8, 2008
What would draw the largest crowd for a League 2 playoff final at the moment? Bradford V Oxford? Maybe Shrewsbury?

Not a terrible effort by these 2 today, but not particularly good.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I did not even like Old Trafford. The match is not even on Radio Five.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
PS: when will Steveange or Torquay get the chance to play at Falmer?

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
Crowd expected to be in the region of 10,000. In a 76,000 capacity stadium. Why doesn't the FA/FL have a number of venues in mind and then choose the best one with the two clubs in mind? Surely it can't be that hard to organise? Ok, you're never going to get a stadium that ticks all the boxes in terms of location, size etc but surely a better option would have been Ashton Gate or St Mary's?

I know absolutely crazy both teams going up the Manchester when there where plenty of grounds around London they could have played at.

Would have been better for the supports, better atmosphere for the players.

Looked in the paper today, you would not have known there was a play off today with nearly 9 pages of coverage dedicated to Man Utd V Barcelona and all Torquay and Stevenage got was a poxy little paragraph.

Usual story anything lower than the premiership is considered sub standard and rubbish which is not the case.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
What would draw the largest crowd for a League 2 playoff final at the moment? Bradford V Oxford? Maybe Shrewsbury?

I went to Cheltenham v Grimsby in 2006, 30K there, it is all about the stadium, FL/FA should hang their heads in shame.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna

#
Oxford, Gillingham, Bradford, possibly Southend, Port Vale. Next season three of the relegated clubs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here