Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

League position for next season

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
British Bulldog said:
It was a non-starter for McGhee this season after the summer fiasco! He should've either gone at the end of last season, Or the best time for McGhee would've been the season he kept us up on the last day and then he could've walked away as a hero.

Yes and no doubt the offere were there but you see McGhee stated he would honour his contract with BHAFC and lead us to Falmer which no other manager had done before, unfortunately some Albion fans drove him out and DK made the populist decision and results and the way the season has panned out has proved it was the wrong decision.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Uncle Spielberg said:
Yes and no doubt the offere were there but you see McGhee stated he would honour his contract with BHAFC and lead us to Falmer which no other manager had done before, unfortunately some Albion fans drove him out and DK made the populist decision and results and the way the season has panned out has proved it was the wrong decision.

How do you know it was the wrong decision? He had to go end of

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Whatever the rights and wrongs of McGhee's dismissal I personally doubt we'd have finished as low as we have with so many consecutive defeats on 3 different occasions. Not saying we should have kept him, because the fans made that impossible but we'd have done better this season.

The honeymoon is over for DW and we need to see a marked improvement next season in the way we approcah games when we are on a losing streak.

Last edited:

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
McGhee went because the heat was starting to be turned onto DK. He was scapegoated, pure and simple.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Giraffe said:
McGhee went because the heat was starting to be turned onto DK. He was scapegoated, pure and simple.

Really? Think you will find a few directors wanted him out a long time ago.Not to mention all the player fall outs etc which i've never heard of on that sort of scale

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Uncle Spielberg said:

Bollocks. McGhee lost the dressing room, the fans and DK. It was the right decision, regardless of how the team has performed under Wilkins.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Uncle Spielberg said:

It was'nt the wrong decision it just come too late for the sake of this season.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
algie said:
Not to mention all the player fall outs etc which i've never heard of on that sort of scale

McGhee would have been forced out of retirement to become a player manager if he had stayed much longer. :lolol: :lolol:

My final comment on the matter, if McGhee is such a great manager, why is he still out of work?

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Jimmy Saville said:
McGhee would have been forced out of retirement to become a player manager if he had stayed much longer. :lolol: :lolol:

My final comment on the matter, if McGhee is such a great manager, why is he still out of work?

Because we are still paying him

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Uncle Spielberg said:

Rubbish!

There's 2 type's of managers who leave the Albion.

The clever one's who want to work again walk away at the right time saying " I've done all I can here " they get jobs!

Then the stupid one's who wait to get the sack and never get to manage a team again.

C.Gull

Jan 29, 2007
At last it is beginning to sink in that it does`nt matter who the manager is as long as the present board are in situ.
If the manager is unable to strenghten the side because he is given little funds, then has to rely on short term loans what can you expect.
We have lost a number of good managers for this very reason.It riles me to think how things could have been,for example Steve Coppell,what a marvellous job he is doing at Reading,the difference is he has a board that can provide him with a reasonable budget to enable him to obtain the players he requires.
Dont bother to play the "Falmer" card,if we are successful in getting our new ground then the board will have to find a considerable amount to pay off the interest on the heavy loans.It has been stated that a 12,000 crowd is required to cover this,not a hope in Div1 or 2 so how much will be available for signings,well certainally less than than in recent years,which means very little.

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
Giraffe said:
The gutless 5-1 defeat to Stoke lost the vast majority of those fans. Bixarrely because DK didn't act when he should have done this season suffered as a result. And not for the first time. Not since BZ was signed has Dick Knight had a good summer.

The 2001 summer was alright though I thought?

I thought the rot in the summer started in 2002 with the 11 week Hinsh fiasco and then continued onwards.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
BensGrandad said:
If RK says yes and if DK steps aside and allows some money to come into the club possible promotion if not much the same as this season.

do you think he has blocked money coming in then?

Uncle Spielberg said:

If THAT is the case, then magoo would have to be an even worse manager, professional, and ambitionless man - wouldn't he. (that's not a question, it is a fact)

His pricipal ambition was to rule over the players and have them know he was 'boss' - even if that meant poor results and an unhappy squad, and getting bugger-all for the want-aways, and "losing the fans".
Great ambition, eh?

Last edited:

British Bulldog said:
Rubbish!

There's 2 type's of managers who leave the Albion.

The clever one's who want to work again walk away at the right time saying " I've done all I can here " they get jobs!

Then the stupid one's who wait to get the sack and never get to manage a team again.

Exactly. 'Just read that BB, and ....nail on head.

There's no WAY he is just sitting there like Buddha turning his nose up at the many job offers.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
ROSM said:
do you think he has blocked money coming in then?

No I do not think that he has, from any genuine person interested, but when we get the Yes will his pride allow somebody with real money to invest should they so wish. He has always said that his office door is open for anybody like that but the proof of the pudding is in the eating.

Statto

Nov 11, 2005
Graceland Memphis
Uncle Spielberg said:
it is odd McGhee was sacked after 3 defates including 1 goal defeats against Bristol City and Notts Forest away and Wilkins has had in the league this season already 1 , 6 match losing run and 2 , 5 match losing runs and is rewarded with a 3 year contract. The guy is completely and toally out of his depth and I don' want to be saying " I told you so " at Xmas but I will I am sure. Still he's who we are lumbered with and I support BHAFC first and foremost and there ain't much I can do about it.

Couldnt have put it better myself.:clap:

Wilkins was the cheap option. He was in caretaker charge for 6 games 2 wins 3 defats and 1 draw ( at home against a side who nearly went down), and he was given the job full time after that record.:nono:

We have had results against some of the tpop teams yes but we have also had some pretty disaterous results against teams in the relegation zone or other teams in the bottom half. Some big signings are neaded in the summer. (and possibly expirenced additions to the coaching staff), or we will stuggle again.

Edit: The thing that people forget is that when Mcghee went we wre higher in the table than where we have finished up now.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here