Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

League Footy to watch on Saturday Morning perhaps?

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
The A-League kicks off this weekend with a genuine blockbuster game at Etihad Stadium in Melbourne - Melbourne Victory vs Sydney FC. The word blockbuster is apt as whilst the biggest crown from last season's opening round was circa 15,000 at the same venue, this one is looking to be a 50,000 sell out. Why you ask, becuse Harry Kewell is making his debut for Melbourne and Brett Emerton his debut for Sydney and my word the Aussies are getting in alther about it.
It's live on Fox here at 6.30 EST / 3.30 WST which is 8.30am BST (I think, although your clocks may have changed too?) so on the basis pretty much everything on Sky in the UK is on Fox here you might just get it.
http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/aleague/matchcentre/Melbourne-Victory-FC-v-Sydney-FC-Hyundai-A-League/2088

D

Deleted User X18H

I can see the FL having a live (BBC2) Saturday morning match sooner or later. 10:30am kick off perhaps. They did some Saturday morning race meetings a few years ago Brighton had one started at 11:00am if I remember rightly, they may start these again soon.

rcf0712

Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
Is this league still just 7 Aussie clubs and one Kiwi, and how many times do they play each other?

up to the giddy heights of 9 Aussie teams and 1 Kiwi team now, and they play each other 2 or 3 times only! But we still have the nonsense of a 6 team finals series so basically as long as you don't finish in the bottom 4 you are 3 games away from being champions which is horseshit. I just wish Australian "soccer" could embrace the true league concept and not be so obsessed with "finals" as all the other codes are. That said however, in AFL it's like a different sport in the finals series with intensity going up a massive amount, not so for "soccer" mind.

Withnail

Jan 16, 2004
Lincoln
I'm going to be in Perth when they've got Sydney next month and quite fancy going along. I take it tickets aren't too difficult to get hold of? Is it just pay on the gate?

I went to Melbourne Vs Adelaide a few years back at Olympic park. The standard was shocking, so I hope it's improved by now; probably league 2. Melbourne had that well known goal machine Julian Allsop as one of their star players!

I agree with the comments about finals etc. Aussie sport is obsessed with these daft play offs & grand final concepts. In my opinion it cheapens the title by essentialy turmning it in to a cup competition for the top half of the league (in any 'football' code over here) and ignores the far better achievemnet of winning the elague over a period of time.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I went to a couple of Sydney FC matches when I was over there a few years back. The standard is fairly low and there does some to be a mixture of half-decent players and shockingly bad players. Great entertainment though with mixed crowds and beers allowed anywhere.

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
Come on Sydney... the lads in the Cove were a great bunch when I spend a year over there...

11266_186188272600_521497600_3388576_5657660_n.jpg

rcf0712

Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here