Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] League Cup Round 3 draw

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
From BBC Sport:

United and Tottenham must play their games in the week commencing 16 September as they open their respective Europa League campaigns the following week.

So it would make sense if they play each other, no? They both need to play at the same time, so why make them avoid each other?

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
- draw designed to protect the big clubs
- impossible to have a fair draw because of Euro clashes (allegedly)
- players, managers & clubs complaining of "too many games"
- winner's prize a measly £100K

So what's the point? Get rid of it.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Should be a good game and a great test for our squad players.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
- draw designed to protect the big clubs
- impossible to have a fair draw because of Euro clashes (allegedly)
- players, managers & clubs complaining of "too many games"
- winner's prize a measly £100K

So what's the point? Get rid of it.
Lower league clubs still get a decent pay day if they draw a bigger club? do they still get a cut of the ticket money in league cup?

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Who gives a shite? Chelsea have over 60 players. Make them use them. It’s not clubs like ours fault. Those clubs are richer, should have better back up players and should have better U23 teams too. Make them use them. I wonder how many players who could have made it but never do because of this reason, that their clubs are protected. Easy to forget Marcus Rashford was Man United’s U18 squad striker when his stars aligned because they simply didn’t have another striker available. Had that not happened, he’d possibly be playing for a team like Crawley now. Similar to Hepburn-Murphy.
Nice rant, but it didn’t apply to Chelsea.

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
This is a huge opportunity for us to progress.

We are at home in a game sandwiched between two other home games.

Wolves are playing on the Sunday v Newcastle and then are away at arch rivals Aston Villa on the Saturday .

Lose away at Forest this weekend and they go into those fixtures inside the bottom three. Might I suggest their priorities will be elsewhere.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
This is a huge opportunity for us to progress.

We are at home in a game sandwiched between two other home games.

Wolves are playing on the Sunday v Newcastle and then are away at arch rivals Aston Villa on the Saturday .

Lose away at Forest this weekend and they go into those fixtures inside the bottom three. Might I suggest their priorities will be elsewhere.
What I always think you want as a draw is to get a team who don't feel like they can win or have other issues so will deprioritise that match.

I don't think we're quite there with Wolves, they will think they can come down and get a draw at least. I expect them to go strong, much stronger than the patchy line up that got them through the last round.

It will be really interesting to have ....

Sat = Ipswich (h)
Tue = Wolves (h)
Sun = Forest (h)

Got to target 3 home wins there. Anyone know when the last time we won 3 at home in 8 days was?

The absolute best eventuality is to have the Ipswich game sewn up reasonably early and to be able to bring Mitoma, Pedro etc off for a rest

spoonie

Apr 19, 2011
What I always think you want as a draw is to get a team who don't feel like they can win or have other issues so will deprioritise that match.

I don't think we're quite there with Wolves, they will think they can come down and get a draw at least. I expect them to go strong, much stronger than the patchy line up that got them through the last round.

It will be really interesting to have ....

Sat = Ipswich (h)
Tue = Wolves (h)
Sun = Forest (h)

Got to target 3 home wins there. Anyone know when the last time we won 3 at home in 8 days was?

The absolute best eventuality is to have the Ipswich game sewn up reasonably early and to be able to bring Mitoma, Pedro etc off for a rest
wolves playing Sunday so game if that week would almost certainly be on the Wednesday

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Back in the day, the conspiracy theory was heated balls (ooh err) - now they’re pretty public and honest about their draw fixing.

Shaktarman

Sep 19, 2022
It’s showing as the Tuesday on the site - is that just default l, as wolves are playing on the Sunday…?

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
Surely the two teams, Sky and the EFL have spoken with each other and agreed a date by now. We know it will be a Wednesday, but which Wednesday?
The draw was 6 days ago. No wonder this tournament is fading.
This is likely to be one of the Sky matches so I wouldn't bet on a Wednesday, it will be whenever Sky say it will be. Being on TV will probably take ~5k off the gate too, I can't see many Wolves fans travelling for this one.

I REALLY hope we take this seriously though (and I think we will) as it's a cup and a route to Europe which the 'top' teams don't take seriously until at least the QF.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
This is likely to be one of the Sky matches so I wouldn't bet on a Wednesday, it will be whenever Sky say it will be. Being on TV will probably take ~5k off the gate too, I can't see many Wolves fans travelling for this one.

I REALLY hope we take this seriously though (and I think we will) as it's a cup and a route to Europe which the 'top' teams don't take seriously until at least the QF.
The problem is, that the top teams get preferential treatment to keep them safe until the 4th round.

Left Footer

Sep 26, 2007
Shoreham

All of the League Cup games are on Sky+ (as was Crawley) so shouldn't make any difference.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003

Aren't all the League Cup matches on Sky this season? Wolves play Sunday 15th September so if our game is going to be in the first week it's very likely to be Wednesday 18th.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
I agree - we've got a big enough squad to be able to rotate a little, but still keep quality high and there's the extra motivation for players wanting to be part of the 1st team squad.
I very much doubt we'll see a completely different XI like we did for Crawley - perhaps 4 or 5 changes from what we might expect to see in the league.

I don't really know O'Neil's usual approach for the league cup, but with 1 point from 3 games, Wolves' priority might be elsewhere...

Dirty Dave

Aug 28, 2006
Worthing
Was browsing yesterday and saw one of the 3rd round clubs post ticketing details and it said date will be confirmed within 24-48 hours. So, fully expect we'll hear confirmation today or tomorrow

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here