Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] League Cup Round 3 draw [Wolves at home] and ticketing

Dave Fishwick

Feb 28, 2021
London
saw even Andy Burnham tweeting about this tonight.

Fair enough IMO for your average man on the street to think this is all one big conspiracy theory and that everything is designed to prop up the top clubs

but when you have the blokes that govern us buying in to the same tin hat theories what chance have the rest of us got?

For the record, I'm fine with it and all seems to make sense. It's the fault of UEFA for messing around with the football calendar again and deciding they want to cordon off seperate weeks for the Europa and Conference this time round, why they need to do that, I've no idea. The Tues/Weds CL and Thursday Europa comps works fine

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
Does anyone know in which week this is likely to be played and on what basis that decision will be made? I’m presuming it will be dictated by the European draws?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Does anyone know in which week this is likely to be played and on what basis that decision will be made? I’m presuming it will be dictated by the European draws?

It’s already on the club fixture list on 17th……..so imagine it’s definitely at least that week

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
saw even Andy Burnham tweeting about this tonight.

Fair enough IMO for your average man on the street to think this is all one big conspiracy theory and that everything is designed to prop up the top clubs

but when you have the blokes that govern us buying in to the same tin hat theories what chance have the rest of us got?

For the record, I'm fine with it and all seems to make sense. It's the fault of UEFA for messing around with the football calendar again and deciding they want to cordon off seperate weeks for the Europa and Conference this time round, why they need to do that, I've no idea. The Tues/Weds CL and Thursday Europa comps works fine
I'm sure there could have been a way to ensure that a CL side didn't meet a EL side without taking them all out. Setting them all aside simply meant that there was no chance of a CL side drawing another CL side, or a EL side drawing another EL side, which wouldn't have interfered with the UEFA matches at all.

Look how they did the draw for the Europa League first knockout round - loads of balls in loads of bowls. For instance, they could simply have declared any draw that couldn't happen 'invalid' and put the ball back - and they know who is left, so the computer would be able to tell them if the final draws were possibly not going to work out, and put the ball back - that's effectively what they did at the Europa League draw (a little more complex, but essentially that).

It wouldn't have been beyond them to think of something similar. The fact that they didn't [want to] leads to suspicions of rigging.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
From BBC Sport:

United and Tottenham must play their games in the week commencing 16 September as they open their respective Europa League campaigns the following week.

That means a clash with the opening round of Champions League fixtures, which will be played between 17-19 September as it is Uefa's designated 'exclusive week' for the competition.

The remaining 14 Carabao Cup ties will be played in the week commencing 23 September, when Europa League games will be played on the Wednesday and Thursday as part of their 'exclusive week'.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
From BBC Sport:

United and Tottenham must play their games in the week commencing 16 September as they open their respective Europa League campaigns the following week.

That means a clash with the opening round of Champions League fixtures, which will be played between 17-19 September as it is Uefa's designated 'exclusive week' for the competition.

The remaining 14 Carabao Cup ties will be played in the week commencing 23 September, when Europa League games will be played on the Wednesday and Thursday as part of their 'exclusive week'.

It seems the club haven't been told that then!

It’s already on the club fixture list on 17th……..so imagine it’s definitely at least that week

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Home draw, its winnable. Really wanted an away draw in reach with a lower league club, hey ho...

Last edited:

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
My youngest daughter and I will be vacationing in Brighton and London September 19-27 and attending the home tie vs Forest on the 22nd. It'd be fantastic if the Wolves match was held 3 days later!

🤞🤞.
This ’vacationing’ you speak of - is that like going on holiday?

BevBHA

Jan 23, 2017
It’s because the round clashes with European games, so they can’t have someone in the Champions League drawn against someone in the Europa League.
It’s rubbish, but slightly better than giving them another bye. At least there’s a very small amount of jeopardy for them.
Who gives a shite? Chelsea have over 60 players. Make them use them. It’s not clubs like ours fault. Those clubs are richer, should have better back up players and should have better U23 teams too. Make them use them. I wonder how many players who could have made it but never do because of this reason, that their clubs are protected. Easy to forget Marcus Rashford was Man United’s U18 squad striker when his stars aligned because they simply didn’t have another striker available. Had that not happened, he’d possibly be playing for a team like Crawley now. Similar to Hepburn-Murphy.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
is the tiered draw just this round ?

Pretty pointless cup

Look forward to City being in the final v Liverpool or Arsenal

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Who gives a shite? Chelsea have over 60 players. Make them use them. It’s not clubs like ours fault. Those clubs are richer, should have better back up players and should have better U23 teams too. Make them use them. I wonder how many players who could have made it but never do because of this reason, that their clubs are protected. Easy to forget Marcus Rashford was Man United’s U18 squad striker when his stars aligned because they simply didn’t have another striker available. Had that not happened, he’d possibly be playing for a team like Crawley now. Similar to Hepburn-Murphy.
Back in the day there was a constant grumble that English clubs were disadvantaged in Europe (and in the concurrent English competition) because of fixture congestion.

Assuming we get into Europe again, will you be howling with outrage if a League cup fixture is arranged to maximise our chances of a European win (and indeed a contiguous fair crack in the League cup)? ???

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
is the tiered draw just this round ?

Pretty pointless cup

Look forward to City being in the final v Liverpool or Arsenal

It’s just for this round, well it better be.

After the first group games for Champions/Europa League have been played the remaining fixtures all take place in the traditional format of Tue/Wed Champions League, Thurs Europa/Conference league each game week. So there will be no need to keep any teams apart for future League Cup rounds as those rounds won’t be scheduled for European weeks.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here