Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Le Tissier in police bet inquiry

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
It does raise a point though. So much of professional sport must be corrupt. I've seen some very dodgy things happen in games, always non-televised mind..

Look at all the corruption in Italian/German football, match fixing, betting etc..

I think we're slightly naive if we think this doesn't effect the English game too.. I personally think Le Tissier should be punished, he has committed a crime, after all.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Hardly worth bothering with now is it. Although he has been a bit of a SPANNER actually putting it in a book.

Seagull over NZ

Jul 7, 2003
Bristol
I guess he worked out the potential trouble wouldn't outweigh the extra revenue from book sales that including such a story would achieve.

Is "time of the first throw-in" (or anything similar) still available in spread-betting markets?

The possibilities for corruption would be unlimited, particularly given the close links between practitioners in gambling and sport.

Sonic The Hedgehog

Oi Lino You're A Disgrace
Jul 7, 2003
Wetherspoons, Fareham
From vague memory, didn't a club regularly make a few quid at the bookies every week by spread betting on the time of first throw?

I think normally the side that wins the toss will in general choose an end. This club would choose to kick off if they won the toss, which is their right if they wish. Thus they were almost guaranteed to kick off every match. The centre forward would boot the ball as far as he could as long as it went out of play and they were all quids in as it was well inside the spread time.

Old hat, there is no new story here.

ezzoud

Jul 5, 2003
Is "time of the first throw-in" (or anything similar) still available in spread-betting markets?

I think they were withdrawn by all spread firms shorly after West Ham were involved in an alleged similar attempt to make a few quid.

IIRC H Redknapp, manager of West Ham at the time, denied any wrongdoing suggesting that Paul Kitson wasn't clever enough to understand how spread betting worked so it couldn't be true....whatever happened to him?

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003
Ezzoud... what happy memories that name brings back. Backed him at 40-1 when he won the International for the first time - still the biggest priced winner by far that I've had in a Group One.

These markets were indeed scratched after the West Ham incident, but they should never have been offered in the first place. I can still remember reading a story about it when they were introduced, with Wally Pyrah, the rogueish PR man for Sporting Index at the time, making out that it would all be a bit of fun. I read it five times as I thought I must have missed something. I just couldn't believe that they could be so stupid, as the potential for a coup was so obvious.

The West Ham one was blatant - you might be able to find it on YouTube. It was the last game of the season with nothing to play for, and there was an avalanche of money selling the time of the first throw. After one of the West Ham players had hoofed it out of the ground one second after kick-off, they all jumped around in the centre circle like they'd just won the FA Cup.

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
I know it's been said already but can I just also say, 'what a f***ing cock for putting it in his book'.

durrrrrrrrrr

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003
Incidentally, I seem to recall there was also a case where a load of punters lost a fortune on a Rangers/Celtic game. The market was again heavily sold on the basis that in such a frantic match, the ball was bound to go out sooner rather than later. In the event, it stayed in play for something like five minutes, and every second that passed was making the spread firm a fortune.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here