Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

LDC and Liberal Democrates screw up Newhaven

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
Safeway said:
All people are trying to do is make a living and make the best of their town, yet the local council look to be doing their upmost to hinder that - however Sainsbury's only seem to have to click their fingers to get planning permission for an extension.

Smacks of the stadium situation where the universities can bung up as many buildings as they like but all we get is opposition.

:clap:

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Hmm. Agree it's depressing what's happened to Newhaven but the town has been gradually strangled for years and it's not just in the past decade or so while LDC has been Lib Dem. The town has just been abandoned by everybody. Take a look back at some Victorian images of the town ... it was lovely. I'm afraid the decay is the work of industry, politicians of all colours and central government. Do you really think any district council would have tried to stop the expansion of JS at Denton Corner? Of course you could make a stand but you are guaranteed to lose on appeal, costing local tax payers a lot of money.

I didn't even realise Newhaven had a central shopping area until a couple of years ago. I avoid it because it's utterly horrible, and there are lots of people I could blame for that. And that includes, I'm afraid, some of the residents who don't create what we might call a "welcoming" atmosphere...

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I grew up in Newhaven, it went downhill when they shut off the High Street.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Porky said:
When is the next election for LDC?

Not til May 2007. But by then the Judicial Review will have been concluded in our favour and LDC will have been presented with a legal bill of over £100,000 (possibly as much as £200,000 if we're lucky). The really unfair bit will be that Lord Bracknell will probably end up with a hefty hike in his council tax to pay for it....

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
dougdeep said:
I grew up in Newhaven, it went downhill when they shut off the High Street.
agreed

people just drive round it now

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Monkey Man said:
Do you really think any district council would have tried to stop the expansion of JS at Denton Corner? Of course you could make a stand but you are guaranteed to lose on appeal, costing local tax payers a lot of money.

Make a stand..........appeal........cost local taxpayers a lot of money?

Nah, they'd never do that.

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
Here is the article from the sussex express

se.gif

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here