Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

LCD or Plasma?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Plasma's and LCD's both have their pro's and cons.

Plasmas handle BLACKS better, as unlike LCD's, they are not lit from behind, and are closer to the usual CRT technology. They are also not susceptible to the slight pixelation effect you get on LCD screens.

However, unlike plasmas, LCD's have non-reflective matt-type screens, which is a massive advantage in a brightly lit room. LCD's do not produce static electricity, and therefore they don't constantly attract dust. Colours are usually more vivid on LCD's, and they are far lighter in weight, so don't need such heavy duty wall mountings as plasmas, which weigh an absolute ton.

Be aware of possible screen-burn on plasmas. The new models nowadays arn't nearly as susceptible to this as they used to be, but it can still be a factor if you have a bright static image on the screen for long periods of time (eg Sky Sports news banners, or computer game panels that stay in the same place on the screen).

Me ? I went for a lovely Philips 37" LCD about three weeks ago, and its the BIZ. Framerate of 8ms (so there's no "lag" on fast-moving objects), and colours so bright it can move a grown man to tears. Personally, I'd definately recommend LCD.

ManxSeagull

NSC Creator
Jul 5, 2003
Isle of Man
We have had a Panasonic 36" LCD (rental thankfully) and bought a Panasonic 42" plasma.

Our 2 year old son smudged the LCD screen by prodding it and sliding his hadn down the screen.

Cannot do that to the plasma as it appears to have a glass screen in front.

This is something you should consider if you have young children.

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
El Presidente said:
About to get a 40/42" flat screen, originally I was going for a Sony Bravia W2000 LCD, but now wavering as some people still swear that plasma are better.

Anyone got any experiences/preferences, as there is an EmpireDirect close to me in Bolton, and I am GASPING to spend a couple of big ones on a TV.

Get the X2000 and you've got the best tele there is ...

FACTO

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
get yourself down to hills in portslade,they know their stuff in their,also great aftersales

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
empire said:
get yourself down to hills in portslade,they know their stuff in their,also great aftersales

Sounds good, if a little far from Manchester where I live :wave:

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
they sell some quality tvs,some over the 12 grand mark:nono: ,you know you can

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
empire said:
This man knows what he's talking about.
Free 3 year warranty on my LCD TV (extended to 5 years for an extra £70), and all the good honest advice you could wish for. PLUS - a £25 scart lead thrown in (cos I was chucking him over a grand for a telly).

f*** Currys
f*** Comets
f*** Argos

Get yourself down to a proper local electrical dealer who actually gives a shit about their customers.

Last edited:

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
Reccomend Hills in Portslade or Richer sounds.

Just got myself a 42" plasma...

Apparently Plasmas are better over 40" or so I've been told...

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Plasmas are too shiney and reflective for my liking, and the picture ain't as prestine from ALL angles of the room. BUT, in their favour, you don't get the pixellation. And those blacks are BLOODY black.

On balance though, I still prefer LCD's. The colours give you cataracts, and I got a full-on semi watching Pirates of the Caribbean II: Dead Mans Chest the other night on my 37" LCD (with full surround). I almost wept at the sheer indulgence of it all.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
El Presidente said:
I am a user of avforums, it is TV geek heaven. Trouble is that the more I read the harder it is to make a decision.

Currently looking at a Sony W2000 40" (about £1550 if you shop around) combined with a Yamaha YSP900 sound processor and an upscaling DVD/HDD player.

These are both 'top star' rated in the Sunday Times in-gear section, which is good enough for me. (When the NatWest will let me).
Finish it off with a new Panasonic Multi record, thingy, and you will have a maximum of 15 stars.

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
I think I need to get out more. I misread the title of this thread as LDC or Plasma and was about to have another go at De Vecchi and her crew!!

tedebear

Legal Alien
NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Do Plasma TV's still have noisy fans? I remember a friend in London who had one abuot 5 years ago and it was quite noisy!

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
tedebear said:
Do rampant rabbits still have noisy fans? I remember a friend in London who had one abuot 5 years ago and it was quite noisy!

I think your friend should invest in THE CONE :jester:

tedebear

Legal Alien
NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Easy 10 said:
Not nowadays, although they do get a lot hotter than LCD's.

Thought they must have gotten better by now...Anyhow our little tv is doing just fine - although if we needed a new one I'd be probably going the HUMONGOUS LCD route...Wall mounted so little people can't press all the buttons and put finger prints all over the screen!! :angry: :jester:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here