Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

LCD or Plasma?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
About to get a 40/42" flat screen, originally I was going for a Sony Bravia W2000 LCD, but now wavering as some people still swear that plasma are better.

Anyone got any experiences/preferences, as there is an EmpireDirect close to me in Bolton, and I am GASPING to spend a couple of big ones on a TV.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
LCD now has come on so much! my mate just got one of the 52" sharp LCD's and they are the f***ing dogs goolies!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
You wanna make sure you get 1080p for true HD - none of this 768 (or whatever it is) nonsense.

Also thinking about a 42"er - seems about £2k is needed to get you something pretty decent.

www.avforums.com is a great resource for such things.

Bert365

May 7, 2006
I brought a 42inch panasonic plasma for 900 a few days ago which im thrilled with.
LCD and PLASMAS are very alike now its just poeples preference.
But taka a look at this

http://www.flattvpeople.com/tutorials/lcd-vs-plasma.asp

There is a great samsung 40inch LCD going for 899 from currys not sure how good samsung tvs are but i would of prop gone for this if i didnt already have panasonic stuff

Last edited:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Bozza said:
You wanna make sure you get 1080p for true HD - none of this 768 (or whatever it is) nonsense.

Also thinking about a 42"er - seems about £2k is needed to get you something pretty decent.

www.avforums.com is a great resource for such things.

I am a user of avforums, it is TV geek heaven. Trouble is that the more I read the harder it is to make a decision.

Currently looking at a Sony W2000 40" (about £1550 if you shop around) combined with a Yamaha YSP900 sound processor and an upscaling DVD/HDD player.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I read somewhere that for bright rooms, like conservatories, you'd be better off with LCD. Reflection I suppose.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
El Presidente said:
I am a user of avforums, it is TV geek heaven. Trouble is that the more I read the harder it is to make a decision.

Indeed it is, with always something better and cheaper just around the corner.

I didn't know anything about the various Sony ranges until I had a good read there the other day.

Race

The Tank Rules!
Aug 28, 2004
Hampshire
Brought a Samsung 40" LCD a few months back, just perfick.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Race said:
Brought a Samsung 40" LCD a few months back, just perfick.

If it's good enough for the BUMMERS household, then it's good enough for me.

Ccider

Jul 28, 2004
50:51:35N 0:08:58W
El Presidente said:
If it's good enough for the BUMMERS household, then it's good enough for me.

I've got a Samsung 40inch N73 - nice [once you've changed the colour setup from factory default]. Apparently it has the same panel as the Sony V2000 series.

Samsung do too many similar models so check their website against your prospective purchase to make sure it is really what you want ...

http://www.samsung.com/uk/products/television/tftlcd/index.asp

The speakers are crap (as are most LCD panels) so best to use with a surround sound system.

:wave:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Ccider said:

The speakers are crap (as are most LCD panels) so best to use with a surround sound system.

:wave:

Cheers squire, that confirms that the Yamaha YSP1100 sound processor MUST be purchased, so I will send out Mrs EP in fishnets and basque once more tonight to generate some spare cash to buy one.

She is willing to give all NSC posters a 10% discount, and a further 5% for STH too :jester:

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
I've just purchased the Sharp LC42XD1E 42" LCD which is true 1080p (not that I have a 1080p source ???). It's had decent reviews on avforums and I got it for under £1,110 from Dixons using free delivery & £20 off vouncers and 5% Egg card discount.

It's not getting delivered until next Friday however :down: so I can't give a personal review.

PS Stock Checker seems a decent place to compare TV prices.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Got a Phillips one around 8 months ago, LCD - dogs bollox

Ccider

Jul 28, 2004
50:51:35N 0:08:58W
El Presidente said:
Cheers squire, that confirms that the Yamaha YSP1100 sound processor MUST be purchased, so I will send out Mrs EP in fishnets and basque once more tonight to generate some spare cash to buy one.

She is willing to give all NSC posters a 10% discount, and a further 5% for STH too :jester:

... and away MEMBERS?

:smokin:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here