Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lazio Friendly

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I like this idea, and with our current wingers this would work.

In the past I would not have held out much hope of us finding a decent striker in this transfer window. Now, with CH, I am a bit more confident.

One idea is to give Lualua some Suarez videos to watch to show him how to run into the correct positions. And give one to Elvis Manu as well. Then it is practice. Whether they have the capacity to learn is a different matter ???

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I've never understood this view of him. What makes you say he's lazy?

I have not seen Murray that too many times live over 90 minutes, probably no more than 3 or 4 times. Any time I have seen him he looks to be working a lot less than other forwards but apparently his ''stats'' don't reflect that point of view

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I decided not to go in the end today, having debated with myself whether I would do. I decided that I thought it was going to be low scoring and a little bit boring. I'm looking forward to the competitive games of course, but I couldn't get excited about the friendly this season. I know that ultimately we finished with a good attacking record last season but I think everyone agrees the difference between 3rd and the top 2 for us last season was not putting games away before Knockaert and Skalak were signed. I'm concerned that we're going to have similar problems this season, we have Hemed and Murray who will both score goals, plus others who will chip in but I think we're a number 9 short of being the real deal. I'm not criticising the club when I say that, because a player of Nahki Wells quality isn't cheap, and we were stung with Elvis and despite the apologists, Baldock was signed to score goals, for £2million and hasn't done it.

All that said, I think defensively we're going to be very good again, despite the lack of depth at the moment, and we'll be more organised than every other team because that's how our manager works and he's particularly good at it. We'll have a positive season again but I think we're going to fall short of the top 2.

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
I have not seen Murray that too many times live over 90 minutes, probably no more than 3 or 4 times. Any time I have seen him he looks to be working a lot less than other forwards but apparently his ''stats'' don't reflect that point of view

This argument winds me up no end. CMS ran around for 90 minutes with absolutely no end product. Dimitar Berbatov was apparently "lazy" according to both Spurs and Utd fans. All I care about is how many goals a striker scores or goals he creates. If you're running round like a blue a****d fly but not creating or scoring goals, you're worthless as a striker.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
This argument winds me up no end. CMS ran around for 90 minutes with absolutely no end product. Dimitar Berbatov was apparently "lazy" according to both Spurs and Utd fans. All I care about is how many goals a striker scores or goals he creates. If you're running round like a blue a****d fly but not creating or scoring goals, you're worthless as a striker.

Sadly Baldock is taking on the CMS role these days.

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
Exactly my view.

Murray's success is based on his good positional play, and his ability in the air. Watching him yesterday, he often takes up a position by the 6 yard box. This allows the crosser to know where he is going to be, not guess where he might end up. As he times his jumps well, he is more effective than most at defending and attacking corners too.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

I am not sure what your point is..........................My post was in response to a post who stated that Murray was lazy and all I am saying is ''that is not borne out by his stats''

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
was it only me that found the repetitive singing from the north east corner a little too much and slightly cringe worthy? I love an atmosphere but it was only a warm up game.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Hemed and Murray are the best strikers at the club by some distance.

Some people say you need a taller, target man, and a shorter, quicker foil. However, that only works if the quicker guy is skillful and good at scoring goals using his pace. CMS couldn't fill this role, Baldock rarely scores, and Manu, well...

So unless we sign someone quicker who scores goals, or Harper gets a go (and he wasn't even on the bench today), I think he'll go with H&M, with Baldock on the bench.

That may be the case but Hemed played better last season when partnered with Baldock. He may not score many goals but Baldock's movement drags opposing defenders out of position meaning the partnering striker has more space and time on the ball. Neither Murray or Hemed have the pace to do that meaning all the opposing defenders have an easier time of it.

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
That may be the case but Hemed played better last season when partnered with Baldock. He may not score many goals but Baldock's movement drags opposing defenders out of position meaning the partnering striker has more space and time on the ball. Neither Murray or Hemed have the pace to do that meaning all the opposing defenders have an easier time of it.
Who would you drop to the bench then - Hemed or Murray?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here