Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Lawrence & Bennet

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
Absolutely this, what DCFC have done is send out the completely wrong message to its fans and in particular the younger fans. They have condoned what these players did, they should have imo been kept low behind the scenes until after the court case.

In what way have they condoned what they did. These are their employees, no more no less and not using them may be a detriment to the club as a whole. Wait until they have been convicted..

arewethereyet?

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
In what way have they condoned what they did. These are their employees, no more no less and not using them may be a detriment to the club as a whole. Wait until they have been convicted..

Which they will be or are you on another planet?

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
I have no idea what you mean by that. but to take each point.
1 Yes they probably will be as I said, just wait until then.
2 No, feet firmly planted on this one and not waving my hands around in frantic disgust at an employer using their employees for what they are paid to do.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent

While I agree with the sentiment of innocent until proven guilty, I believe from what has been released to the press and by the police is that these two men are guilty as sin... and are just waiting for the full judicial process to take its course!

I know in my previous role with the police that if this had happened to me I would have been suspended until such time as the case was heard. Footballers/celebrities are indeed a different breed of humans, and while the usual due process of the law should be applied, maybe they should also be seen in a different light as their “talents” are displayed in the public eye, for all to see. Derby have indeed sent out a strange mixed message.

I do wonder if Derby would have played them if it was a member of the public they had injured in the crash and not a fellow Derby player - whose career they have possibly finished!

Weirdly and conversely, if found guilty and punished appropriately, I see no problem with either player resuming their football careers, with Derby or whoever.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Can't believe someone holds a view like this in the 21st century. Like it or not, footballers are not just employees, they are role models and the message Derby are saying is that their league position is more important than any standards.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
While I agree with the sentiment of innocent until proven guilty, I believe from what has been released to the press and by the police is that these two men are guilty as sin... and are just waiting for the full judicial process to take its course!

Agreed.

I know in my previous role with the police that if this had happened to me I would have been suspended until such time as the case was heard. Footballers/celebrities are indeed a different breed of humans, and while the usual due process of the law should be applied, maybe they should also be seen in a different light as their “talents” are displayed in the public eye, for all to see. Derby have indeed sent out a strange mixed message.

I do wonder if Derby would have played them if it was a member of the public they had injured in the crash and not a fellow Derby player - whose career they have possibly finished!

Weirdly and conversely, if found guilty and punished appropriately, I see no problem with either player resuming their football careers, with Derby or whoever.

Football players have long since lost the mantle of role model and shouldn't be seen as such, if any are that's a bonus.

Most employers wouldn't punish their staff (would the law allow it for non-work related matters) in addition to any 'possible/probable' prosecutions

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Agreed.

Football players have long since lost the mantle of role model and shouldn't be seen as such, if any are that's a bonus.

Most employers wouldn't punish their staff (would the law allow it for non-work related matters) in addition to any 'possible/probable' prosecutions

Like you I don't and never have subscribed to the idea of footballers, celebrities or for that matter anyone in the public eye being role models to me. My role models are those close to me like my parents and those I trust, not some no mark who just happens to be a good footballer / singer / actor.

I disagree with your second point. There are plenty of professions where you would have been suspended (on full pay) pending the result of the judicial process.

I believe Derby have made a massive mistake, based purely on their perilous league position and performances. I wonder if the same leniency would have been shown to two of their lesser known or able players, having been culpable in the severe injury of a fellow player.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I presume DCFC runs (or at least supports) a community scheme similar to AITC

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Like you I don't and never have subscribed to the idea of footballers, celebrities or for that matter anyone in the public eye being role models to me. My role models are those close to me like my parents and those I trust, not some no mark who just happens to be a good footballer / singer / actor.

I disagree with your second point. There are plenty of professions where you would have been suspended (on full pay) pending the result of the judicial process.

I believe Derby have made a massive mistake, based purely on their perilous league position and performances. I wonder if the same leniency would have been shown to two of their lesser known or able players, having been culpable in the severe injury of a fellow player.

Indeed there are professions that would suspend, there are also many that wouldn't.

I think the thing here is that they had an 'accident' due to drink driving for which they will no doubt be dealt with by the authorities. It may have been an inevitable accident, but nonetheless it was an accident in which only themselves, very fortunately, suffered. They were not involved in brawls or other such activities which would not be deemed as accidental and involving others. Had something like that happened I would expect some form of disciplinary action.

hoveboyslim

Feb 7, 2004
Hove
Indeed there are professions that would suspend, there are also many that wouldn't.

I think the thing here is that they had an 'accident' due to drink driving for which they will no doubt be dealt with by the authorities. It may have been an inevitable accident, but nonetheless it was an accident in which only themselves, very fortunately, suffered. They were not involved in brawls or other such activities which would not be deemed as accidental and involving others. Had something like that happened I would expect some form of disciplinary action.

There is nothing accidental about driving a car while pissed. It could so easily have involved others too, with fatal consequences. For that reason I see drink driving as worse than a brawl.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
There is nothing accidental about driving a car while pissed. It could so easily have involved others too, with fatal consequences. For that reason I see drink driving as worse than a brawl.

Indeed there was nothing accidental about driving a car having been drinking, clearly quite intentional.

The result of doing so however was an accident, not planned, not intended and thankfully no-one else involved. I regard drink driving as equally serious as a brawl.

Should his employers punish him for the drink driving, or for the accident ? What would your's do ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here