Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Lawn growing

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Here's a bizarre tip but it works [for me].

Lawns round my was are on very sandy soil which is bad news for water retention.
So, I water-in washing-up liquid which acts as a water retention wetting agent.

No idea if this is useful for clay or chalk undersoil mind.

Should be the same principle for chalk?

And you get a very clean lawn.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Took your advice although borrowed a scarifier which helped but no where near as effective as the rake so ended up filling my entire garden bin with moss. Covered with top soil and have been watering in the evening every day. However still have large patches of just grass seeds after 10 days. Is that normal?

Guess this change in weather isn't going help much either.

Me too a week or so ago. I planted my lawn from seed (no idea what type) 32 years ago. The main thing I've learned from this thread is 'don't cut it too short'.

Also....the moss killer stuff, I suspect, killed my first golden rain tree some years ago. My brother kindly gave me a replacement in a pot, and I dug a 3 foot deep, four foot diameter circular hole, filled it with recommended compost, enclosed it with a short bamboo border thingy, and topped it with a nice gravel to keep future moss killer well away from it, and all is now lovely. I even have seedlings from it growing in a couple of big pots, with a possible view to growing them semi-bonsai.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
That’s happened to me and mates so many times. Many failures.

The key is a big watering a couple of days beforehand, never seed in heatwaves or droughts, a gentle watering once seeded after a couple of days if there are no decent amounts of rain, and again.

Hahaha glad I'm not alone. I think I maybe went a little bit early and this cold spell certainly isn't helping. The ground was still pretty soft, I could easily stick a screwdriver in (as suggested on various youtube vids I've watched) BUT I didn't water it before hand and I can't recall how much recent rain we'd had.

I will keep plugging away and will not be defeated.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Took your advice although borrowed a scarifier which helped but no where near as effective as the rake so ended up filling my entire garden bin with moss. Covered with top soil and have been watering in the evening every day. However still have large patches of just grass seeds after 10 days. Is that normal?

Guess this change in weather isn't going help much either.

I put some seed down about 3 weeks ago and it's only just germinated, had a pretty low germination rate as well but I anticipated this and put loads down.

I didn't water mine enough, just haven't had the time. Apart from those 3 nicer days last week it's just been too cold and too dry. I got some ryegrass germination but nothing from the fescues which need it a bit warmer.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
I put some seed down about 3 weeks ago and it's only just germinated, had a pretty low germination rate as well but I anticipated this and put loads down.

I didn't water mine enough, just haven't had the time. Apart from those 3 nicer days last week it's just been too cold and too dry. I got some ryegrass germination but nothing from the fescues which need it a bit warmer.

Thanks, that is more positive news. I'll leave it for a bit longer and hope for the best.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
Thanks, that is more positive news. I'll leave it for a bit longer and hope for the best.

I had a chat to the guy seeding at Portslade CC on Benfield valley and reckoned it's going to take longer than normal because the soil temp is still pretty low.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
I had a chat to the guy seeding at Portslade CC on Benfield valley and reckoned it's going to take longer than normal because the soil temp is still pretty low.

This. I need to top up the lawn I laid last summer and I’m not planning on putting the seed down for another two weeks at least. Soil temp and moisture content v poor so going to wait until frost risk recedes and I can justify spending time and effort on upkeep once it warms up a tad.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Hahaha glad I'm not alone. I think I maybe went a little bit early and this cold spell certainly isn't helping. The ground was still pretty soft, I could easily stick a screwdriver in (as suggested on various youtube vids I've watched) BUT I didn't water it before hand and I can't recall how much recent rain we'd had.

You're right about the temperature.

Unless very lucky, it's inevitable that weather will conspire against lawn seeding.

We've been in a long dry spell.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Hi,
Mine was laid about 5 years ago, so inevitably it doesn't look like the original pics anymore - moss, weeds, small bare patches. I'll post a photo later..

That’s happened to me and mates so many times. Many failures.

This is why I started the thread, it's actually not that easy to keep a lawn in optimum condition year on year. So many pitfalls and it only takes the odd error coupled with some unfavourable conditions and you've had it!

I'm also pretty determined to win this battle, will deffo keep trying. Some good knowledge and experience being shared on here :thumbsup:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I've spiked and 'weeded and feeded' mine a week ago, so I'll rake out any dead moss in the next couple of weeks and top dress and seed it then when it's hopefully warmed up a bit. It seems there's never an ideal warm and wet bit for seeding between freezing/damp and warm/sahara.

I'm tempted to pop down screwfix and pick up one of these, but Mrs Wz insists it's good exercise to rake it by hand (for me that is :rolleyes:).

scarifier.jpg

I'm thinking maybe I could buy one and hide it in the shed while she's out.

swd40

Mar 22, 2006
Novice alert. I did read somewhere that grass seed needs 13 degrees C and above to grow. Looking at the weather forecasts. We wont be seeing those temps soon. :down:
Seed will have to stay in the box a while longer spose.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Novice alert. I did read somewhere that grass seed needs 13 degrees C and above to grow. Looking at the weather forecasts. We wont be seeing those temps soon. :down:

There's meant be a reasonable bit of rain this weekend followed by temps going up next week. Fingers crossed, that may not be bad timing (in Brighton, at least) :thumbsup:

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
I've spiked and 'weeded and feeded' mine a week ago, so I'll rake out any dead moss in the next couple of weeks and top dress and seed it then when it's hopefully warmed up a bit. It seems there's never an ideal warm and wet bit for seeding between freezing/damp and warm/sahara.

I'm tempted to pop down screwfix and pick up one of these, but Mrs Wz insists it's good exercise to rake it by hand (for me that is :rolleyes:).

View attachment 135653

I'm thinking maybe I could buy one and hide it in the shed while she's out.

Not wanting to keep boys away from their toys but the one I borrowed was useful but quite frankly it had nothing on using an actual rake and nothing like the professional ones you see on lawn care vids on youtube. That said what it was good at was picking up what was raked up (but I probably could have used my leaf vacuum to do that).

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

Nowadays, a lot of grass seed varieties will germinate in quite cold temperatures. I used to buy tons of the stuff to over-seed sports pitches in the middle of winter. There is a saying about grass seed. "Better in the ground than in the bag." My advice would be to sow it now. Provided you've prepared the ground well, hold as much grass seed as you can hold in your hand (approx. 35gms or 1.25 oz), and that will cover 1m2. Rake it in so you can't see much on the surface. Don't worry about pigeons. There's enough in that volume for them and to create a lawn.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
This is why I started the thread, it's actually not that easy to keep a lawn in optimum condition year on year. So many pitfalls and it only takes the odd error coupled with some unfavourable conditions and you've had it!

I'm also pretty determined to win this battle, will deffo keep trying. Some good knowledge and experience being shared on here :thumbsup:

In my experience, these long summer droughts and sometimes unprecedented high temperatures, are the main cause of issues once established. A mown lawn is an unnatural ground covering, with little ability to retain water.

Mowing higher, regularly feeding before heavy rain and perhaps deep watering any struggling areas before severe heat, seem the best defences.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Nowadays, a lot of grass seed varieties will germinate in quite cold temperatures. I used to buy tons of the stuff to over-seed sports pitches in the middle of winter. There is a saying about grass seed. "Better in the ground than in the bag." My advice would be to sow it now. Provided you've prepared the ground well, hold as much grass seed as you can hold in your hand (approx. 35gms or 1.25 oz), and that will cover 1m2. Rake it in so you can't see much on the surface. Don't worry about pigeons. There's enough in that volume for them and to create a lawn.

Pat Jennings followed your advice and overseeded.

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
I have a rather sorry pot of goldstone turf, that I would like to try and rescue? I have just cut out all the dead stuff, and am not left with a lot. Just put some plant feed on it. I guess I need to protect from frost a little. Put the pot in a shed window over winter? But remember to water it? would love to restore to its former glory :) Do I let what is left grow and harvest the seeds to repopulate? Any tips? As you may have guessed - I am not a gardener :)

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I have a rather sorry pot of goldstone turf, that I would like to try and rescue? I have just cut out all the dead stuff, and am not left with a lot. Just put some plant feed on it. I guess I need to protect from frost a little. Put the pot in a shed window over winter? But remember to water it? would love to restore to its former glory :) Do I let what is left grow and harvest the seeds to repopulate? Any tips? As you may have guessed - I am not a gardener :)

Await the true expert [MENTION=259]Jack Straw[/MENTION], but I’d advise to get it outside as soon as possible. It might fry in a potting shed.

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
Await the true expert [MENTION=259]Jack Straw[/MENTION], but I’d advise to get it outside as soon as possible. It might fry in a potting shed.

Sorry, I wasn't clear (My bad, I fink da youf say). It has been kept outside, but was wondering whether I should keep it in the shed window over future winters? As maybe keeping it outside in a pot exposes roots to frost? Could I cut a pot sized hole and keep it at the same level as the grass over winter? Also any tips to rescue it? I await Jack Straw and words of wisdom :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here