Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

latest on bennett

Smithy07

Jan 18, 2011
If Lambert really wants him then i suspect we will find the money from somewhere to up our bid. We have an unexpected really good opportunity to push for the prem under the best manager we are likely to have in charge of our club for some time. Lambert will go to bigger things at some point and the board know they need to make the most of his time at the club.

Whether your board will accept any improved offer i don't know. What i would say though is that whilst i don't have any inside info so this is just speculation, I can't believe we would bother making successive improved offers if there had not been at least some indication from the players agent that he is interested. Whether that is motivated by the possibility of an improved contract at Brighton or he is genuinely interested in the move i don't know!

To me Poyet didn't sound that confident in his webchat answers hence the fact he put (I hope) after his comment that he thinks he will stay.

Anyway i think there will be one more offer and either way the end game is probably near!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
If Lambert really wants him then i suspect we will find the money from somewhere to up our bid. We have an unexpected really good opportunity to push for the prem under the best manager we are likely to have in charge of our club for some time. Lambert will go to bigger things at some point and the board know they need to make the most of his time at the club.

Whether your board will accept any improved offer i don't know. What i would say though is that whilst i don't have any inside info so this is just speculation, I can't believe we would bother making successive improved offers if there had not been at least some indication from the players agent that he is interested. Whether that is motivated by the possibility of an improved contract at Brighton or he is genuinely interested in the move i don't know!

To me Poyet didn't sound that confident in his webchat answers hence the fact he put (I hope) after his comment that he thinks he will stay.

Anyway i think there will be one more offer and either way the end game is probably near!

I reckon this is all about the Agent. He knows Bennett is probably one of better players and he would look to command a decentish price for a third division winger. I am not sure why Norwich want someone like Bennett....having watched you a couple of times on the telly , I would have thought midfielders are the last thing you need ( more than likely, I wasn't that impressed with the full backs reallty - although they may just have had off days)

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

But did you also notice when someone asked flat out "WILL BENNETT LEAVE YES OR NO" Gus simply put "NO". He also stated elsewhere we have a "fantastic chance" of keeping him. Sounds pretty confident to me.

mike79

Sep 28, 2005
Bournemouth
I reckon this is all about the Agent. He knows Bennett is probably one of better players and he would look to command a decentish price for a third division winger. I am not sure why Norwich want someone like Bennett....having watched you a couple of times on the telly , I would have thought midfielders are the last thing you need ( more than likely, I wasn't that impressed with the full backs reallty - although they may just have had off days)

yes we have loads of midfielders but we need someone who can play on the wing and cross a ball

and our full backs are brilliant. russell martin beyond immense and adam drury very competent

mike79

Sep 28, 2005
Bournemouth
But did you also notice when someone asked flat out "WILL BENNETT LEAVE YES OR NO" Gus simply put "NO". He also stated elsewhere we have a "fantastic chance" of keeping him. Sounds pretty confident to me.

not sure why he gave so many different answers.

no he's not leaving - 100%
fantastic chance of staying - 85%
i hope he says - 50%

MikeySmall

Jul 7, 2003
BRIGHTON
yes we have loads of midfielders but we need someone who can play on the wing and cross a ball

and our full backs are brilliant. russell martin beyond immense and adam drury very competent

Bennett does alot of roaming. No hugging the touchline im afraid. You are obviously interested in the wrong player.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak

That's ironic, my mate who's a STH at Carrow Road said that Martin is slow and Drury is the weak link in the team!

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
oh. well as long as he can cross a ball. i gather he has something like 20 assists this season

Indeed he does. That's from coming inside a lot and playing through balls more than from crosses though (from what I can remember). I think his crossing can be a little hit and miss.

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
It seems to me that player prices often depend on what team they play for?
If lallana rated at 5m or chamberlain rated at 10m played for Rochdale and degenham respectively I doubt either would command much over 1m each
It reminds me of that Leeds player who went to villa last season for what league 1 could describe as obscene amounts last year,
My thoughts are if Bennett was a saints player and not at the Albion, his price would surely be over 5m

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
Definitely an element of truth in what you are saying, moggy. There is also the perception of what a club will be forced to accept based on economic realities, not simply because the selling club is regarded as a "big club." Some "big clubs" do not have a pot to piss in of course. A Hudds supporting mucker told me this morning that they are in for Dale Jennings as a replacement for potentially Stoke bound Pilkington and the opening gambit for Jennings is half a million. It is a fact that if Jennings were with Saints, Hudds etc then any bids of less than £1.5m would be laughed at.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Interesting if Jennings was available for that fee, would certainly be worth looking at for us should the worst happen

Although would be interesting if Norwich saw him as an alternative to EB

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Definitely an element of truth in what you are saying, moggy. There is also the perception of what a club will be forced to accept based on economic realities, not simply because the selling club is regarded as a "big club." Some "big clubs" do not have a pot to piss in of course. A Hudds supporting mucker told me this morning that they are in for Dale Jennings as a replacement for potentially Stoke bound Pilkington and the opening gambit for Jennings is half a million. It is a fact that if Jennings were with Saints, Hudds etc then any bids of less than £1.5m would be laughed at.

Agree with all of this, and prticularly like the bit about Huddersfield losing Pilkington...

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
As for Gus's comments, I would say that he feels we have a "great chance" of retaining Elliott Bennett because he does not want to sell and Tony Bloom does not want to sell. The actions of Elliott's agent (anyone know who that is btw) are beyond his control. As a result he cannot categorically say there is 0% chance that Elliott will be off but he does know that he has the full support of the chairman in terms of rejecting any bids that come in. Gus has shown before that if a player is not totally committed he is prepared to show them the door. I suspect, though it's mere conjecture, that he doesn't expect Elliott to be a toys and prams type so is as confident as he can be that this will end positively. But the fat lady still has a couple of weeks to warm up her vocal chords.

mike79

Sep 28, 2005
Bournemouth
That's ironic, my mate who's a STH at Carrow Road said that Martin is slow and Drury is the weak link in the team!

well martin is our joint 3rd top scorer from right back and rated around 15th of players in the league on the opta thing and linked with blackburn. maybe he means chris martin. and drury's only just come back from injury and hasn't been having any bad games. mr dependable.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Exactly and look at the money! £18 MILLION turned down.At that rate Bennett must be worth £2-3M at least.

as I have said before 5m but maybe not until we reach the championship and with the new ground and new players I doubt he will want to go anyway.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here