Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

last year for the proper number 9{ ogh)

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Frutos was a regular in the Championship and struggled big time in a young squad, and now has left. Again, certain rules seem to apply different to certain players if they've been here for a certain length of time.

Or if they are on a much higher wage.....

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Yeh. He was immense against Hull. Lacklustre against Derby, but the whole team were and unlucky against QPR if I can remember correctly.

Oh, and Reading was poor. And I can't remeber the Palace game to much as I didn't take in the match.

Brilliant! A player who was 'lacklustre' in the CHAMPIONSHIP 2 years ago is not of football league standard as a result!

Sound reasoning
:lol:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I know you're replying to Aids there, but don't you think what you have just said is why some people still support these sort of players? Not because of what they offer NOW. You're right - Mayo was fantastic under Coppell, and Hart was a decent player for many a year. However, if either of them are still up to it now, then so are you or I. I don't wish any malice on anyone, but both are taking a wage that could/should be better used elsewhere. It would also be a lot better for them to have left with only good memories and the adulation of all the fans. Sadly, I see a Carpenter-type scenario developing now with Mayo, Hart, and Oatway, where once good, popular players become figures of ridicule.
I know Charlie is in his thirties but Mayo despite having ten years of service is still only 28. That doesn't compare with a player who was 35 and couldn't fully recover from injury.
So it follows that you don't lose skill - perhaps a manager like Coppell could still get the best out of them as they clearly have/had what it takes.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Fair points. The question then is how on earth did Coppell get Mayo playing like a really decent Championship defender, yet under every other manager he drifts between average and park level? More importantly, if anyone has an answer, can they tell Wilkins?

That might be because Coppell was the best manager we have had in a LONG time. :D

humpy

Mar 13, 2006
worthing
why is it if a manager doesn't pick someone's favourite player they are not worthy of being a manager, hart may not fit into dw plans as what happens with many players and managers but it don't mean he's a crap manager and should only be a coach. After all he has secured the type of striker magoo could only dream of bringing to the withdean, maybe we should play hart up front instead of forster. There comes a time when all of our favourite players are not in the team anymore its a fact of life and we just have to accept it. wouldn't it be nice if everyone got behind dean and the team from the start of the season instead of moaning before a ball is kicked.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Fair points. The question then is how on earth did Coppell get Mayo playing like a really decent Championship defender, yet under every other manager he drifts between average and park level? More importantly, if anyone has an answer, can they tell Wilkins?

Mayo played in midfield under Coppell.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I know Charlie is in his thirties but Mayo despite having ten years of service is still only 28. That doesn't compare with a player who was 35 and couldn't fully recover from injury.
So it follows that you don't lose skill - perhaps a manager like Coppell could still get the best out of them as they clearly have/had what it takes.

The word you are looking for is HAD... certainly in Mayo's case...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Oatway, Mayo and Hart have all been worth having over the years.

Don't think any of them have deserved a starting place for at least two seasons though.

Would rather Rents was at left-back than Mayo.
Fraser centre mid over Oatway.
Hart is a bit more open to debate but only see him as back-up.

Doubt Mayo or Oatway would get another league club at this stage in their careers with so many players looking for clubs.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
last year for hart i think.. watched the game yesterday standing behind he dug out where mr wilkings was.. not a good word to say about him even though this was his first game apart from 13 mins the other day. no one has said anything about the 6 or 7 great balls he put in the box that no one got on the end of.. just think he is being driven out of the club by a man that should be a coach not a manager... how meny more will he force out.. :rant::bigwave: . if he walks away at the end of the season i hope us fans remember what he has done for this club... would like him on our team not playing against us as it is looking like at the moment ... ogh fan club...:clap:

Fully agree...wilkins isnt intrested in HART as far as im concerned...we were desperate for a winger last season when we were on our 2nd run of 5/6 DEFEATS and wilkins ignored him then.....

He gives him 10 mins here and there and is expected to do something...leaves him rotting in the reserves with a load of 16 year olds and out-casts and has done for years..

Granted hart might not have the same blast of little pace that used to drive him past defenders...but he's got more determination in his right toe than half of these fancy party boy youngsters.....he's be starting every week if I was in charge......

As far as im concerened..this division needs players who will run and run and run...give 100%...the effort has always been there and defo a huge hero of the club..he's defo worth a decent run out in the team...it shocks me wilkins doesnt even consider him....

Wilkins your making a mistake...I want there when someone shouted at wilkins to give hart a chance..but I fully agree with the person that does....he needs a good go at proving his worth and its one position thats up for grabs....!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here