Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Last season at the Goldstone

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The Scott Mcleish thread made me think of the nadir and the ecstasy of that season.

Obviously the Doncaster result was the high point but I also loved the game against Wigan. Great atmosphere and beating them was a real achievement as I believe they had just been or were about to be promoted so were one of the better teams in the division and it was a game I expected us to struggle in. Leyton Orient was a roller coaster and covered every emotion of being an Albion fan.

The lows and they were very low for me was the apathy about what was going on on the pitch and expectation of loss earlier in the season. It almost seemed like we had accepted relegation by early winter. I don't recall the opposition but the demonstration after a midweek loss almost had me in tears as it seemed there was nothing that we could do about the rape of the club. People who now so readily knock Paul Samrah, Harty and Attila probably weren't there. They were the figureheads for all of us and had a very big part in saving this club imo.

The abuse of Gritt on the 1st game he took over and the graffiti on the walls of the Goldstone are also a very clear memory.

Anyway, enough banging on from me. What are you good and bad memories of that season apart from the final game?

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Barnet at home. Last league game under the floodlights.

Mass walkout at Hereford at home.

y2dave

Jul 23, 2003
Bracknell
Wigan was good, the Goldstone in the sun for the last time and I enjoyed the Exeter game after fans utd when we really helped pick up momentum and the crowd were back behind the team. Great night. First game against Chester (2-1 win) and lincoln pitch invasions stand out too.

Last edited:

GUNTER

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton
Icy Gull said:
People who now so readily knock Paul Samrah, Harty and Attila probably weren't there. They were the figureheads for all of us and had a very big part in saving this club imo.

Totally agree. They stood firm in our darkest hour.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
There were actually quite a few 'high' points.

Gritt's first game and the whistle demonstration.

The Mansfield Boycott and the subsequent storming of the East and West stands.

The Fans United game.

The Leyton Orient game was one of the most exciting games I've ever seen.

The Wigan game as already mentioned was pretty cool cos they were already promoted and about to go up as champs.

The Barnet game because it was the last game under the Goldstone floodlights.

To be honest, pretty much every game after Gritt joined was exciting, we started winning again so there was hope on the pitch whilst off it, things were coming to a rather desperate head(no puns please!) with time ticking there were protests, pitch invasions and demonstrations every week. Nothing before or since has come close to comparing to the emotions of that season.

Seagulls over Lewes

Jul 5, 2003
Rodmell
Cambridge United my last offical game in Bellotti's eyes as he banned me after this. Still got in to several other games but with low crowds and Beardo and PC hall both knowing me it was hard to get in and not get noticed. Still got into Hull game and sat in there end which was a good laugh.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Citrus said:
Hartlepool at home wasn't too bad either! :clap2:

That was the last time I was in the North Stand.
It was packed solid.

simon swagbag

Jul 8, 2003
Eastbourne
Barnet at home.
I was on my way to work that evening.
I could see the glow of the floodlights in the distance.
F*ck it. I may not get in to the Goldstone again.
My last Goldstone game, & the only game I've attended in a suit.
Didn't get sacked either.:p

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
I wish I was old enough to have clearer memories of The Goldstone. :(

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
Citrus said:
Hartlepool at home wasn't too bad either! :clap2:
And I nearly missed that one. Came home from holiday on the day with no intention to go to the game. Coming out of Gatwick in the car at about 2 o'clock, radio tuned to SCR, I ended up turning right to go to the game instead of left to go back to Kent. Managed to get in to the East Stand just about on kick-off. Marvellous day. Kept us up too.

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
Icy Gull said:
The People who now so readily knock Paul Samrah, Harty and Attila probably weren't there. They were the figureheads for all of us and had a very big part in saving this club imo.

Ahh, but we didn't have t'internet to hide behind in those days.

Those guys for me will always be legends in the very true sense of the word, these days anyone who makes 1000 posts on a tin pot message board feels they are a 'legend'

Sad.

butchy

Jul 24, 2005
Bethnal Green, E2
the cardiff game was a cracker,all those games towards the end of that season were so bloody vital and the result against the welsh was a good'un-remember getting chased across hove park by riot police after the game after there were a few scuffles infront of the north stand. recall super glueing "archer out" posters here there and everywhere

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here