Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Last Night of the Proms

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
https://news.sky.com/story/last-night-of-the-proms-rule-britannia-and-land-of-hope-and-glory-will-now-be-sung-by-select-group-of-vocalists-bbc-says-12061711

bbc.JPG

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Theme tonight is “sports themes” apparently for anyone interested. Included the most surreal intro ever with Gary Lineker.

Last edited:

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
That arrangement of Swing Low/Whole World In His Hands didn't work for me, but its all subjective of course.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Blimey, it’s not the last night of the proms I was brought up on.

it all seems very “ of the time”

I think it has gone away from a very middle class public school classical music loving audience, to something that is more aimed for a diluted pop culture audience. Pink panther theme at the last night of the proms…..really?

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I think it has gone away from a very middle class public school classical music loving audience, to something that is more aimed for a diluted pop culture audience.
You seem to be suggesting that's a bad thing?

The singing and musicianship are still as superb as ever, are they not?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
You seem to be suggesting that's a bad thing?
Not at all, I am suggesting it is different.

for me, the proms are all about classical music, not disco, not jazz, not film music. But I am a musical dinosaur preferring Mozart to mancinI. But hey….seems like that is how this is all going

not for me I am afraid.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

for me, the proms are all about classical music, not disco, not jazz, not film music. But I am a musical dinosaur preferring Mozart to mancinI. But hey….seems like that is how this is all going

not for me I am afraid.
It’s a mixture and still mainly classical.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

not for me I am afraid.
Maybe needs a reset, and next year will be listed as 'Last Night Of The New Proms'

Meanwhile reruns of the Proms with Sir Malcolm Sargent conducting The BBC Symphony Orchestra from 1961 will be shown on BBC4 at the same time, for all or us who enjoy the more traditional Proms

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
All those EU flags, prepare for a Daily Mail meltdown
Gary Lineker AND the EU flags? There’ll be a kitchen roll shortage to mop up the spittle currently flying across living rooms up and down the land.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here