Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Last floodlit Goldstone match.

element

Fear [is] the key.....
Jan 28, 2009
Local
Does anyone rememnber an evening game at the Goldstone Vs Liverpool - Graeme Souness went off after about 20 mins - I'm sure we won and the place was packed to the rafters.

I'm sure a stato can tell us the date, score and attendance - would have been about '83 '84 ??

23-03-83 (As we were on our way out of the 1st. Division!)

2-2 (2-0)

25 030 present

I'd just moved in with a g/f in Poets Corner, an arrangement that lasted two years, and of course meant not missing a home match for those two years, and if I remember rightly, also holding a ST, which also entailed catching a few reserve matches as well! Oh the luxury of sitting in The West Stand for free! :smokin:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Leaving that night, it did not really occur to me that the end was just around the corner. Obviously the plans were set in stone, but I was having trouble picturing the demise of the sad old ground and what it meant for the club.

I think Baird scored just before half time, but it seems like a lifetime ago. The final three 1-0 wins at home were not for the faint hearted. Happy/Sad days.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
I've often heard it said that the attendence figures couldn't be trusted, but i'd love to see some evidence of this?!

Around the time of the protests especially, but i believe maybe even after that, sometimes the gates at the back of the north stand were opened by fans to let people from outside in for free and were rushed to stop stewards closing them. Hence inaccurate attendance counts

Last edited:

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Around the time of the protests especially, but i believe maybe even after that, sometimes the gates at the back of the north stand were opened by fans to let people from outside in for free and were rushed to stop stewards closing them. Hence inaccurate attendance counts

and the fact that by falsifying the gate figures the board could pay less VAT.

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
There would have been some atmospheric European nights as well had Gordon Smith not messed up in 83.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
There would have been some atmospheric European nights as well had Gordon Smith not messed up in 83.

How about when we beat Staur Bucharest (5-4?) and Moscow Spartak (or torpedo?) in midweek friendlies?

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
Who remembers the first floodlit game at the Goldstone? Against a German team called Worms if memory serves.

before that, midweek matches such as cup replays were played in the afternoon, and we'd sneak out of school early

The first ever floodlit game at the goldstone was against Frem of Copenhagen and I had the original programme, along with many other old Albion programmes, which were nicked from my loft by removers when I moved house. Didn't realise until a few weeks later when it was too late!!!
:down::down::down::down:

element

Fear [is] the key.....
Jan 28, 2009
Local
How about when we beat Staur Bucharest (5-4?) and Moscow Spartak (or torpedo?) in midweek friendlies?

Didn't we have an Eastern European player for a while (80's) and his former team came over for a friendly?

I had a four page B/W programme that sadly had a cup of coffee spilt on it :cry:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here