Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

LAST DITCH Sporting Comebacks

Bouncebackability

• Total voters

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Not sure what to make of this poll - the title is 'last-ditch sporting comebacks', some of those listed aren't last-ditch, some aren't even comebacks.

Of the big ones missing, the most obvious must be Headingley 1981 and Botham's Ashes.

The Taylor/Davis snooker final was a great comeback, but it wasn't really a last-ditch comeback. Taylor was 8-0 down, but only 9-7 down after the first day and 11-11 before winning 18-17.

Skint Gull

Jul 27, 2003
Watchin the boats go by
Out of that lot i voted Lewis because it was literally OVER and all was lost until the very last corner. In reality United scored to level the game with a few minutes of stoppage time left, it wasn't so much a comeback cos they were only a goal down in the first place!

Apart from Hamilton the only other time I can remember all but giving up only to be happily proved wrong was the Sussex cup win last year

1953 Cup Final

Blackpool 3-2 down in the last minute, still won 4-3 and NO EXTRA TIME

Stan Mortensen grabbed Wembley's first FA Cup final hat-trick, but even he had to concede centre stage to Blackpool team-mate Stanley Matthews.

Britain's best-loved footballer had tried and failed on two occasions to get his hands on a winner's medal but, at the age of 38, this finally proved to be his year.

Bolton's newly-crowned footballer of the year Nat Lofthouse maintained his record of scoring in every round as early as the second minute with a soft shot that eluded goalkeeper George Farm.

Johnson (left) and Matthews are saluted after their triumph

Mortensen levelled with a deflected cross-shot but Bobby Langton's chip and a header from Eric Bell, reduced to a virtual passenger due to a torn hamstring, put Bolton in total control.

Then, suddenly, Matthews sprung into life, turning on the magic to expose Bell and the tiring Ralph Banks down the right wing.

Blackpool fed Matthews at every opportunity and he responded by setting up Mortensen for his second 20 minutes from time and then again for the equaliser with just two minutes left.

With Bolton on the verge of collective collapse, Matthews continued to dominate and, deep into stoppage time, set up South African winger Bill Perry to crack home the winner.

Even Lofthouse stood and applauded.

FA Cup Final 1953
Blackpool 4-3 Bolton
Scorers:
Blackpool: Mortensen 35, 68, 89; Perry 92.
Bolton: Lofthouse 2, Moir 40, Bell 55
HT: 1-2
Att: 100,000

Stevie Boy

Nov 2, 2004
Horam
As well as our Hereford moment, there was that time Carlisle saved their league status because their keeper ran the length of the pitch in the 92nd minute to head in a corner.

Arise Sir Jimmy Glass
[yt]36mhNRyt628[/yt]

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
21st December 1957

Charlton Athletic (0) 7

Summers (5), Ryan (2)

Huddersfield Town (2) 6
Massie, Bain (2), McGarry, Ledger, Howard

10-man Charlton Athletic scored the last-minute winner, after they had been losing 5-1 with 25 minutes to go.

Last edited:

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
[yt]fTroSkU0vZI[/yt]

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
As well as our Hereford moment, there was that time Carlisle saved their league status because their keeper ran the length of the pitch in the 92nd minute to head in a corner.

Jimmy Glass

And im pretty sure he was on loan aswell

Beaten to it!

Last edited:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I voted United, but then I remembered England's Beefy-inspired comeback against Australia in the 3rd test in 1981.

135/5 when Botham walks out, still needing 90-odd to avoid an innings defeat. Then he gets 149 n.o. and Bob Willis takes 8-43 to win by 18 runs...

I'm with The Hound on this..... Was a fantastic time to be aged 20 with a motorbike working in a factory with the overtime available to pay for copius beer.

I remember with joy hearing the Aussie decline wicket by wicket !:clap2::clap2:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I'm with The Hound on this..... Was a fantastic time to be aged 20 with a motorbike working in a factory with the overtime available to pay for copius beer.

I remember with joy hearing the Aussie decline wicket by wicket !:clap2::clap2:

That was the ''Summer of Dole'' for me.
Watched nearly all of that day whilst drinking scrumpy.
Marvellous.

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
I voted United, but then I remembered England's Beefy-inspired comeback against Australia in the 3rd test in 1981.

135/5 when Botham walks out, still needing 90-odd to avoid an innings defeat. Then he gets 149 n.o. and Bob Willis takes 8-43 to win by 18 runs...
Sir Ian was on the One Show tonight and they showed a few highlights from that match. F*****g magic:bowdown:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
That was the ''Summer of Dole'' for me.
Watched nearly all of that day whilst drinking scrumpy.
Marvellous.

" Oh , If I could turn back time ".....:yahoo:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here