Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

LAST DITCH Sporting Comebacks

Bouncebackability

• Total voters

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
Which was the GREATEST last ditch sporting comeback to WIN something, not just a result, but a result that meant GLORY???

2008 - Lewis Hamilton winning the World Championship on the penultimate corner, becoming the youngest person ever to win the title.

2008 - Michael Phelps 100m Buttery Fly Gold Medal win by 0.1 seconds over Milorad Cavic after being behind the whole length of the race.

2003 - England winning the Rugby World Cup Final after an extra time drop goal from Jonny Wilkinson put England 20-17 up

1999 - Manchester United winning the Champions League final with 2 goals in injury time to beat Bayern Munich at the death with goals from Sheringham and Ole.

1989 - Arsenal winning the Old Division 1 title with Michael Thomas scoring in the last minute of the last game of the season against Liverpool, which Arsenal had to win by 2 clear goals.

1985 - Dennis Taylor beating Steve Davis 18-17 on a respotted black after being 17-15 down in the Snooker World Championship final

Last edited:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
United to win the Chumps Lge, or Cheltenham v Brighton away last year :jester:

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
The Rugby World cup final wasn't a comeback.

I vote for Man City-Spurs in the FA cup a couple of years back

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Would "last ditch" include us saving our league status (and almost certainly existence) by coming back from all those points behind cumulating in the Hereford match. That is my vote if it counts. You could argue that our clubs life was won.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
The Rugby World cup final wasn't a comeback.

I nearly didnt include it, but it was against Australia so it got IN

Would "last ditch" include us saving our league status (and almost certainly existence) by coming back from all those points behind cumulating in the Hereford match. That is my vote if it counts. You could argue that we WON our clubs life.

I didnt put it in, because however great it was, we didnt WIN anything, we won the title of 91st best team in the Country

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The Michael Thomas one wasn't strictly a COMEBACK either, but I voted for it anyway as it was MUCHOS HILARIO.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
I voted United, but then I remembered England's Beefy-inspired comeback against Australia in the 3rd test in 1981.

135/5 when Botham walks out, still needing 90-odd to avoid an innings defeat. Then he gets 149 n.o. and Bob Willis takes 8-43 to win by 18 runs...

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
As well as our Hereford moment, there was that time Carlisle saved their league status because their keeper ran the length of the pitch in the 92nd minute to head in a corner.

The Lemming Stomper

Under the flag
Apr 1, 2007
Saltdean
Buffalo v Houston AFC playoffs 1993

Houston 35-3 up into the 3rd quarter, lost 41-38 !!

The match simply known as 'The comeback'

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Has to be the 1989 Liverpool v Arsenal game from that this...

"Michael Thomas, it's up for grabs now... THOMAS!!!"

Monkster

Ragamuffin
Jul 7, 2003
The Token Carlisle United Fan
8th May 1998/99 season vs Plymouth Argyle

Step forward Sir Jimmy Glass

_1296321_glass150.jpg

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Although I voted for Man Utd, gotta say, Liverpool in the Final vs Milan deserves a mention.

Soul Finger

May 12, 2004
I vote for Man City-Spurs in the FA cup a couple of years back

That was brilliant.

Man City had had a man sent off and were 3-0 down at White Hart Lane at half-time.

They came back to win 4-3 with a last minute winner. Absolutely fantastic.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here