Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Laser Beams

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The act of shining a laser deliberately at an aircraft, causing the crew to take evasive action or interfering with their performance is a criminal offence.

The crew call ATC, ATC call police, & they use the description & co-ordinates provided by the pilot to work out where it's being shone from and locate & arrest those responsible. Happens fairly frequently.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
These arent like laser pens, they are much more powerful. If you shine them onto a piece of paper/fabric/skin they can set fire to it and you can light fireworks remotely. Very dangerous doing it through a sheet of glass as suggested by the OP as it could reflect back an and blind you, as well as potentially blinding the person in the house four miles away.

It wouldn't be reflected by glass, although the beam would be refracted slightly.

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
Lasers are grouped under 4 classifications based on the amount of power they emit, and the level of hazards they pose to humans and their eyesight.

■Class 1 lasers are very low risk and "safe under reasonably foreseeable use", including the use of optical instruments for intrabeam viewing.
■Class 1M lasers have wavelengths between 302.5 nm and 4000 nm, and are safe except when used with optical aids (e.g. binoculars).
■Class 2 lasers do not permit human access to exposure levels beyond the Class 2 AEL for wavelengths between 400 nm and 700 nm. Any emissions outside this wavelength region must be below the Class 1 AEL.
■Class 2M lasers have wavelengths between 400 nm and 700 nm, and are potentially hazardous when viewed with an optical instrument. Any emissions outside this wavelength region must be below the Class 1M AEL.
■Class 3R lasers range from 302.5 nm and 106 nm, and is potentially hazardous but the risk is lower than that of Class 3B lasers. The accessible emission limit is within 5 times the Class 2 AEL for wavelengths between 400 nm and 700 nm, and within 5 times the Class 1 AEL for wavelengths outside this region.
■Class 3B lasers are normally hazardous under direct beam viewing conditions, but are normally safe when viewing diffuse reflections.
■Class 4 lasers are hazardous under both intrabeam and diffuse reflection viewing conditions. They may cause also skin injuries and are potential fire hazards.

The wavelengths specified correspond to the spectrum of light visible by the human eye, plus sume parts of the IR and UV spectrum.

That Chinese product must conform to one of the above classifications and if it is anything higher than Class 1, it MUST NOT be shone into someones eyes. You would do them PERMANENT damage to their eyesight.

Lasers of the kind that you see at a concert are probably Class 2 or 3, and if you watch you wil notice that they are NEVER pointed at the performer or the audience. They are computer controlled and the lighting supervisor has to make sure when designing the show and operating the equipment that it is used safely.

Class 4 lasers include the type that Blofeld used to try to get James Bond in the knackers in Goldfinger.

Last edited:

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
Apart from pointing at aircraft or goalies etc, what useful purpose do they serve?

Very useful for us birdwatchers. When trying to point out position of a bird in tree/undergrowth we use them to aim LOW DOWN on the trunk or bush, bring the beam up to level & then say the bird is to right/left of beam.

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
sO....IF YOU SEE A RED DOT MOVING UP ONTO YOUR COAT.....IS IT A LASER BEAM.....OR ARE YOU BEING TARGETED BY A SNIPER....i MEAN....Aaaaarrrrggghhh!

I think you'll find that when they are talking about laser targeting in the military sense, that they use the laser beam to guide the missile onto a target. When they have a laser guided bomb, the laser is usually located on, and shone from, the target, so the missile can 'lock on' to the beam, whereas a sniper will use a laser instead as a marker to determine the range that he is firing from, and adjust his sights accordingly. So the answer to your question is,

Yes it is a laser beam

and (if you are in Kandahar, Somalia etc )

Yes you are being targeted by a sniper.

Last edited:

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
dr%20evil%20laser.jpg

Window Licker

May 17, 2012
I bought a class 2 green laser pen from Spain for like a fiver. It goes for miles. Novelty wore off pretty quick though and now it's used as a cat toy.

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
The most powerful military laser rangefinder is accurate up to 25km and are mounted on gun platforms, hopefully you'd have time to get out of the way of the missile (assuming you knew one was coming ) from that distance. Or maybe not.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Chesterfield
YAY!! I'm off to the new Sealife centre to arrange some fricking sharks with fricking laser beams stuck to their heads!!!

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Apologies for not replying to my thread, got summoned to bed and been busy all day and did not expect this level of response (should have known better)
I will answer as many as I can.
The friend I visited is mid 40's and quite sensible, ex RAF but very techy so loves this sort of thing.
I am 49, not a youngster, and I do get out quite a bit but very non techy.
I have seen lasers before but not up close, initially it blew me away that something so small could be so powerful and accurate and it was fun, this one was green, not red so the incident at Culdrose was not us although it was the same day but much later.
If you held it to the glass it went straight to the village about 4 miles away (Shaugh Prior) if you held it away from the glass it did refract into the room.
He got it from China for £12, I have no idea what class it is or anything like that, but he is sending a link to me. It was about 8 inches long and 1 inch in diameter.
It can go for 12 miles.
After 15 minutes of fun, I too thought this thing is dangerous in the wrong hands and immediatly thought of aircraft and blinding people. I wanted one but not now as I knew it would get boring and I live in a residential area, where he lives was perfect
I knew there must be laws regarding these things, thanks for the replies.
He does indeed use it to make cats dance in the farmyard and confuse other animals (but not in a silly way)
Anyway it still facinated me but to be honest I think they should be illegal especially one as powerful as this one.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here