Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Larger Vechiles should pay more road tax!!

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
This sort of thing you mean?

molson0001.jpg

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Larger Vechiles should pay more road tax!!

REDLAND said:
and while they are at it prehaps an extra 1-2p per litre could contribute to providing cheeper public trasnport and better cycling lanes in city centers !!

If they used all the money they made from taxing fuel and vehicles and used it ALL to improve public transport then buses and trains would be free. Unfortunately most of the money goes nowhere near roads or transport.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Voroshilov said:
Those Mitsubishi L200 have been about in Cyprus for years before they become popular in Britain as people used them for busines as a van and as a car.

Not actually true. They only became popular in the UK when Mitsubishi started marketing them as leisure vehicles.

Sorry but you are talking absolute rubbish. I was going to buy a bar in Cyprus in 1993 and at the time probably, excluding taxis which are nearly all Mercedes, OVER 50% of the other vehicles used by everyday people who had a small business were these Mitsubishis so much so that we were going to buy one and drive it back to England. This was long berfore they became popular in the UK as I said in my original post. My boys talked me out of it saying it looked like a 'pikey' van for them to do their tarmac.

One of my sons bosses was going to buy them as company vehicles and found that they were much too expensive for what they are and settled for Mercedes Vito with crewcabs cheaper and a lot better.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Larger Vechiles should pay more road tax!!

Rangdo said:
If they used all the money they made from taxing fuel and vehicles and used it ALL to improve public transport then buses and trains would be free. Unfortunately most of the money goes nowhere near roads or transport.
Nor should it.

Fuel tax and vehicle taxes need to make a reasonable (ie enormous) contribution to the NHS to cover the costs of transport-derived illnesses such as asthma and accident treatment.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Whilst I do not agree with total nationalised industry I do think that Water Gas Electricity and Public Transport should be owned by the nation not private shareholders and that if an increase in taxes on these and 4 x 4 help then that isa good thing incidentally I think that caravans should be subject to an MOT and seperate road tax.

Albaman

Equatorial Splitter
Apr 22, 2006
Singapore lah
Taxing larger engine sizes will be inevitable if we are ever serious about reducing carbon emissions. Currently transport is almost untouched. What worries me is if they start hitting air fares, I enjoy the ablility of getting to home games from Scotchland !!!

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Larger Vechiles should pay more road tax!!

Lord Bracknell said:
Nor should it.

Fuel tax and vehicle taxes need to make a reasonable (ie enormous) contribution to the NHS to cover the costs of transport-derived illnesses such as asthma and accident treatment.

I have no problem with diverting money to good causes like the NHS or education. However I doubt very much that that is where it goes.
I feel pretty confident that the money the government takes would easily cover all costs associated with transport including road maintenance and building, public transport and contributions to the NHS and still have more than enough to bulldozer Falmer Village.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Albaman said:
Taxing larger engine sizes will be inevitable if we are ever serious about reducing carbon emissions.

Er, they do already.

adammicheal

Jan 3, 2006
One of my sons bosses was going to buy them as company vehicles and found that they were much too expensive for what they are and settled for Mercedes Vito with crewcabs cheaper and a lot better. [/B][/QUOTE]

The difference being the one the bloke wanted had everything with it air con, leather seats, sat nav, and everything else he could think of.

Where as the Vito is quite basic and after driving or sat in it for a couple of hours whilst on the way to work it get very un- comfortable.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Caravans....and anything towing a caravan,except to the scrappers yard,of course.

And cycles,unicycles and tricycles,bloomin'spongers causing traffic delays and accidents whilst paying bugger all.And any car ,van,or motorised vehicle carrying same on the highway on those deathtrap cycle racks.

And any horse drawn vehicle.

And oversized joggers.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
BensGrandad said:
Voroshilov said:
Those Mitsubishi L200 have been about in Cyprus for years before they become popular in Britain as people used them for busines as a van and as a car.

Not actually true. They only became popular in the UK when Mitsubishi started marketing them as leisure vehicles.

Sorry but you are talking absolute rubbish. I was going to buy a bar in Cyprus in 1993 and at the time probably, excluding taxis which are nearly all Mercedes, OVER 50% of the other vehicles used by everyday people who had a small business were these Mitsubishis so much so that we were going to buy one and drive it back to England. This was long berfore they became popular in the UK as I said in my original post. My boys talked me out of it saying it looked like a 'pikey' van for them to do their tarmac.

One of my sons bosses was going to buy them as company vehicles and found that they were much too expensive for what they are and settled for Mercedes Vito with crewcabs cheaper and a lot better.

You really don't have a f***ing clue do you. I'm not talking about the Cypriut market,I'm talking about the UK. And I know what I've said is true because the UK marketing director for Mitsubishi told me himself.
The L200 warrior is specifically marketed at the sort of person who would buy a 4x4, other models in the range are aimed at small business users.
Interestingly most of the dealers I spoke to reckoned you're better off getting a van for a business, as they're not really that practicle.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here